Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sneak Peek of NEW AccuWeather.com, Post Feedback Here
eliah
post Mar 2 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,165

The new layout is very pretty, but much less useful (on the first page you go to after entering a location). It used to show current temperature, real feel, and temp/realfeel and precipitation chance every 2 hours for the next 12 or so, all on the same page. Now as far as I can tell to get all this information I have to go to three different pages. Not cool.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
manymotors
post Mar 2 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 22,169

The new format causes me to go through too may extra steps to get to local radar. I'm afraid (as will many others) be going elsewhere for my wethar data.

+Quote Post
uva185
post Mar 3 2010, 11:01 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 22,201

Agreed, the website "looks" nice, but it now takes longer to access the content. Between the two I prefer the old site hands down!!

-The favorite weather locations that used to be on the left side is gone. I travel a lot and that was a very convenient feature!! Please bring this back!!!

-The Reel Feel temperature is no longer displayed on the extended forecast. I also miss the temperature chart.

-I liked the "Headlines" section at the top of the old site. It was condensed but still contained a lot of info. Now you have to scroll down and it is so spread out it is wasting too much space.

+Quote Post
It Aint All Luck
post Mar 3 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,292

I guess it's like anything updated. People hate change. So far the site seems good. I did notice the cities are loading much quicker than before and it gives you a layout of the state's major cities in a column to the right.
The one thing I do miss however is the "Weather Alarm" the old version had. I t was pretty cool to see it updated as the weather models updated. Are they going to be getting the "Weather Alarms" back in the near future?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wfooshee
post Mar 3 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 22,170

I dislike (as in really really hate) the fact that the state radar maps are no longer clickable. Rather than clicking anywhere to get a good local radar, you have selected areas just blown up, and the local radars as a selection at the bottom. At least once you find yours you can still pan from there if you're looking to follow a weather pattern as it approaches, rather than in, out, in somewhere else, out, etc.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Mar 5 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #26

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(uva185 @ Mar 3 2010, 11:01 AM) *
-The favorite weather locations that used to be on the left side is gone. I travel a lot and that was a very convenient feature!! Please bring this back!!!

This is available on the front page and will work with the last 3 locations that you entered. We are looking to improve that functionality in the future.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Mar 5 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #27

Admin

QUOTE(wfooshee @ Mar 3 2010, 11:11 PM) *
I dislike (as in really really hate) the fact that the state radar maps are no longer clickable. Rather than clicking anywhere to get a good local radar, you have selected areas just blown up, and the local radars as a selection at the bottom. At least once you find yours you can still pan from there if you're looking to follow a weather pattern as it approaches, rather than in, out, in somewhere else, out, etc.

The local radars have been "hidden" a little more and I'll tell you why. From a public perspective, they are our worst product because 1.) They give an error message when NWS takes them down and 2.) They don't have the Snow/Ice/Rain coloring, both of which confuses people.

BUT I did stick up for them when they thought about removing them -- I think we still need them from a competitive point of view. However, I find myself using the MapSpace product more than local radars -- our "classic" state radars are lower resolution and for some states just as zoomed out as local radars, but the Hi-Res radar in MapSpace is almost as good. The only thing the locals still do better than MapSpace is hook echoes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Mar 5 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #28

Admin

QUOTE(It Aint All Luck @ Mar 3 2010, 05:44 PM) *
The one thing I do miss however is the "Weather Alarm" the old version had. I t was pretty cool to see it updated as the weather models updated. Are they going to be getting the "Weather Alarms" back in the near future?

They are still there (when in effect), in fact they make an icon appear in your forecast also! Check it out:

--------------------

+Quote Post
annee3
post Mar 7 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 22,246

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Mar 5 2010, 12:39 PM) *
This is available on the front page and will work with the last 3 locations that you entered. We are looking to improve that functionality in the future.

I am using Firefox. The "last 3 locations" works only after putting in one of them again each time I open Accuweather. Everytime I reopen my browser and access Accuweather, I get default locations. I'm afraid I rarely care what the weather is in NYC, LA, and Miami. (And, to anticipate the obvious question, I do have cookies enabled.)

+Quote Post
annee3
post Mar 10 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #30

Theoretically you are supposed to get the "last three stations" you looked at on the home page. For me this only works after putting in one of your own favorites each time you open AccuWeather. (I do have cookies enabled for this site.) Every time I open the site for the first time since closing my browser, I get the default stations. Sorry, but I normally don't really care that much about the weather in NYC, LA and Miami. Any fixes planned?

+Quote Post
RickCef
post Mar 12 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 17,249

Comments on the New site...

Its just not that good, the old site was smoother.

* Not enough contrast between "ads" and accuweather stuff*
* The radar is not very user friendly* What happened to the regional Doppler? ???
* Blogs are ok but harder to read multiple ones *

Overall I think the site has many issues to fix. I used to be on Accuweather all the time, but I find the new site to be cumbersome and focused on ads.

I am very disappointed. WAAYYY to many ads. I feel like its weather.com with more clutter and less weather.

Don't take this the wrong way but this is my feedback.

I would

1. Take that "ad bar" off the top of the site. Looks horrible.
2. Bring back focus on the radar/current surface map and top stories on the main page.
3. Make it easier to read multiple blogs.

Good luck to everyone at Accuweather. I really enjoyed this site over the years, but as of now I'll stick to weather.gov and weatherunderground.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Mar 12 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #32

Admin

QUOTE(RickCef @ Mar 12 2010, 11:58 AM) *
Comments on the New site...

Its just not that good, the old site was smoother.

* Not enough contrast between "ads" and accuweather stuff*
* The radar is not very user friendly* What happened to the regional Doppler? ???
* Blogs are ok but harder to read multiple ones *

Overall I think the site has many issues to fix. I used to be on Accuweather all the time, but I find the new site to be cumbersome and focused on ads.

I am very disappointed. WAAYYY to many ads. I feel like its weather.com with more clutter and less weather.

Don't take this the wrong way but this is my feedback.

I would

1. Take that "ad bar" off the top of the site. Looks horrible.
2. Bring back focus on the radar/current surface map and top stories on the main page.
3. Make it easier to read multiple blogs.

Good luck to everyone at Accuweather. I really enjoyed this site over the years, but as of now I'll stick to weather.gov and weatherunderground.

Please give it a little while and see how it grows on you. I found it a little difficult to use at first too, but now I prefer it.

To answer some of your specific concerns... obviously we can't get rid of all the ads or we wouldn't be able to pay for the site to keep running. If you mean the 720-wide ad at the top when you say "ad bar", it has always been there. There are actually less ads than there were on the old site, though as you pointed out they may be more obvious now, which is good for our advertisers.

Reading multiple blogs should be easier than ever with the News Feed box that appears on the home page and forecast pages (click on Blogs). That shows the latest blogs from all bloggers, something we didn't have before.

All radars that were originally available still are, including the National radar on the front page, which clicks through to Regional radars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
annee3
post Mar 13 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #33

Hah! I have just discovered a work-around for this problem. Adds a few more clicks, but that's the price of "progress" I guess.

When I came to the forums site looking for a reply to my question, I noticed that my own last station is listed at the top (right under the banner) and I can access it without having to type the whole thing in again. Better than nothing, but it would be nice if the "last 3 stations" thing worked.

+Quote Post
WNYLakeEffect
post Mar 13 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 16,475

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Mar 12 2010, 01:45 PM) *
Reading multiple blogs should be easier than ever with the News Feed box that appears on the home page and forecast pages (click on Blogs). That shows the latest blogs from all bloggers, something we didn't have before.

I liked the old box that was in the corner for blogs and stories. It was small, compact, and to the point. No scrolling down the entire page and it was easy to take a quick look to see what I wanted to read. If you were short on time, it was much quicker and you didn't have to scroll down and look through each entry, one by one. Basically, you moved your eyes less. It may not amount to much time, but you notice it and it becomes tedious. I don't need little pictures of the stories, either, just what it's about.

--------------------
Winter 2010-11 Snow: 148.0"
Winter 2009-10 Snow: 128.3"
Winter 2008-09 Snow: 175.0"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 08:11 AM