Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great Expectations, How do other people's expectation effect you?
Expectations?
When I've been told someone has big expectations about me, I___________
Stress! It's just too much pressure. [ 1 ] ** [3.45%]
Feel flattered that someone has that much interest in me and what I'm doing. [ 5 ] ** [17.24%]
Wonder why? [ 2 ] ** [6.90%]
Find it makes doing anything harder because now I'm selfconscious. [ 2 ] ** [6.90%]
Take it in stride. [ 7 ] ** [24.14%]
Get resentful, what business is it of theirs what I'm up to? [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Not Applicable, no one ever has expectations of me. [ 1 ] ** [3.45%]
Don't care one way or the other. [ 8 ] ** [27.59%]
It actually motivates me to accomplish great things! [ 3 ] ** [10.34%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
TheWatch
post Mar 7 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,836

I ask this because I've had several of my relatives who say things about how they are waiting for me to "make my move" and other things like that. They seem to think I'm just messing around in my current situation (dull but decent paying job, not going for more college degrees, no specific goal but living a decent ordinary life) and that one day I'm supposed to do something astounding. Have you ever had people say things like that? How does it make you react?

This post has been edited by TheWatch: Mar 7 2010, 02:54 PM

--------------------
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

--Albert Einstein--
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kab2791
post Mar 7 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,278

Take it in stride. Though I may feel more nervous about the expectations, I'll try hard as I go along and feel confident in what I do in the moment.

--------------------
University of Detroit Mercy Math Minor 2009-2011
Central Michigan University Meteorology Major, GIS Minor

DTW Stats:
2011 Number of 90F+ days: 19
Max Temp: 100F (7/21)

+Quote Post
edgar.is.bored.a...
post Mar 7 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,041

laugh.gif "Great expectations" is a swingers club here in El Paso laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TheWatch
post Mar 7 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(kab2791 @ Mar 7 2010, 12:10 PM) *
Take it in stride. Though I may feel more nervous about the expectations, I'll try hard as I go along and feel confident in what I do in the moment.

I was just curious. How do you manage to not think about it though?

QUOTE(edgar.is.bored.at.dish @ Mar 7 2010, 01:11 PM) *
laugh.gif "Great expectations" is a swingers club here in El Paso laugh.gif

That is hillarious! laugh.gif Interestingly enough my poll could apply to that too if you look at it the right way. wink.gif

This post has been edited by TheWatch: Mar 7 2010, 04:20 PM

--------------------
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

--Albert Einstein--

+Quote Post
kab2791
post Mar 7 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,278

QUOTE(TheWatch @ Mar 7 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I was just curious. How do you manage to not think about it though?

I think about it, but calm myself down, because if I'm freaked out it will reflect in a worse outcome for myself.

--------------------
University of Detroit Mercy Math Minor 2009-2011
Central Michigan University Meteorology Major, GIS Minor

DTW Stats:
2011 Number of 90F+ days: 19
Max Temp: 100F (7/21)

+Quote Post
M4dRefluX
post Mar 7 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,811

Don't care.

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Mar 7 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,542

QUOTE(TheWatch @ Mar 7 2010, 01:52 PM) *
I ask this because I've had several of my relatives who say things about how they are waiting for me to "make my move" and other things like that. They seem to think I'm just messing around in my current situation (dull but decent paying job, not going for more college degrees, no specific goal but living a decent ordinary life) and that one day I'm supposed to do something astounding. Have you ever had people say things like that? How does it make you react?

What those i care about think about me matters a great deal to me.
I try hard to live up and if possible to exceed their expectations.

My wife thinks i hung the moon, so i try daily to live up to her expectations.

I expect a LOT from my son and he tries to accomplish the goals/expectations we have for him.

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_bobbarker_*
post Mar 7 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #8

Guests

I think chances are if someone is the type to have expectations for you to acheive something of one kind or another, they are probably also the type of person who will always be dissapointed no matter what the results. For example, they may expect you to get a job, a career, get rich ect. but then be dissapointed in your choice of a mate, or where you live, or the kind of books you like to read ect. I'd tell said individual to prepare to be dissapointed but in a articulate and sensitive way, considering they are most likely a loved one.

I realize also this is not always true. I'm sure its quite common for paternal figures to be quite pleased with the results of their offspring.

This post has been edited by bobbarker: Mar 7 2010, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
SFhyph
post Mar 7 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,192

I chose dont care, I have my own expectaions.

--------------------
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assalent, "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the Rule of Honor.

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Mar 7 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(SFhyph @ Mar 7 2010, 05:58 PM) *
I chose dont care, I have my own expectaions.

*shrug*

We all live our lives for different reasons and are motivated by differing sources. I choose to live mine for the Lord, my family and my close circle of friends. What they think matters to me and genuinely affects my day to day decision making process.

But to each his own; I do not think there is a right or a wrong answer to the question.

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
SFhyph
post Mar 7 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,192

QUOTE(raughammer @ Mar 7 2010, 05:01 PM) *
*shrug*

We all live our lives for different reasons and are motivated by differing sources. I choose to live mine for the Lord, my family and my close circle of friends. What they think matters to me and genuinely affects my day to day decision making process.

But to each his own; I do not think there is a right or a wrong answer to the question.

*shrug* to you.

lol jk. Hugs not Shrugs unsure.gif

--------------------
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assalent, "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the Rule of Honor.

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Mar 7 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(SFhyph @ Mar 7 2010, 06:26 PM) *
lol jk. Hugs not Shrugs

wink.gif *wink*

It's all good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
futureweatherman...
post Mar 7 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,447

This is a pretty good topic. For me, I generally get more determined to do something when people discourage me or have few expectations. To have someone say that they have great expectations for me doesn't really affect me.

--------------------

QUOTE(SEMIweather @ Oct 17 2010, 02:10 AM) *
i was lclicking on it going pelasejk not nicki minaj m-please not micni minaj hughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

+Quote Post
Papa_Bear
post Mar 7 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,382

I love having goal and aspirations...I am not sure if anyone in my family has great expectations of me as long as I am happy with whatever I choose to do...I felt until recently that I have disappointed some of my family members, whether I did i won't know...But I have great expectations for myself...I too care about how my family/friends think of me...Watch as long as your happy its all good....

--------------------
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Mar 8 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,204

I live my life and set my own goals.

Other people have their lives and their own goals. If they don't like my life or goals...SCREW THEM.

I am the only one that can make me happy. I can enjoy others in my life, and do, but they can't make me happy...ONLY I control my happines. If you invest your happiness in other people you will never be happy. You can only control yourself....no one else.

The happiness that I enjoy from my children is watching them accomplish the goals and dreams that they set for themselves....not any goals or dreams that I tried to foist on them.

This post has been edited by mmi16: Mar 8 2010, 01:22 AM

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
cavalier
post Mar 9 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 18,847

it depends. for myself i don't really care what other people think. for my kids they definately have expectations set out for them, just like my parents did me

+Quote Post
SilverWolf
post Mar 9 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 21,822

QUOTE(TheWatch @ Mar 7 2010, 12:52 PM) *

Well I am a pretty Competetive and Driven person but I push myself now people especially family always have higher expectations for me then even I have now it sometimes bothers me but i just get resentful and more angry at myself for not being able to meet those expectations but not something that makes me crack under presure just makes me try harder next time.

--------------------
Your Life Is Yours and Yours Alone So Get Up and Live It
Best Game Topic Ever ->Corrupt a wish

+Quote Post
TheWatch
post Mar 13 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #18

When my Uncles, parents and other odd assorted people tell me about having these dreams for me and my future, my first thought is to plain wonder why. What about me are they seeing that I'm not?blink.gif My life is ordinary, I often wish it were different but all in all it's not a bad life. It's just, every time I get reminded of what they think I ought to be doing it makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Thanks everybody for the feedback

--------------------

--Albert Einstein--

+Quote Post
Naught_Wright
post Mar 16 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 14,921

People don't really have expecttions of me, as far as I know. My mom always raised me saying "No matter what you do with yourself, if you're happy, I'm happy."

I don't know if my lack of ambition comes from that or not, but yeah... mellow.gif

--------------------
You do not know me, but I am a juvenile delinquent. I do not trust authority figures, I probably will not graduate from high school, and statistics say my present rowdiness and vandalism will likely lead to more serious crimes. I am a dangerous fellow, and I am causing mayhem in this store. *pulls three jars of baby food from the top shelf, shoves them behind a box of macaroni, shuffles the Cheez Whiz in front of the Marshmallow Fluff, and tosses a bag of lady's shavers onto a bag of hamburger buns* There. I have now shamelessly destroyed the symmetry of this shelf, undoing hours of labor by underpaid store employees. If you could see me, you would be frightened.

+Quote Post
TheWatch
post Mar 21 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Naught_Wright @ Mar 16 2010, 01:18 AM) *
People don't really have expecttions of me, as far as I know. My mom always raised me saying "No matter what you do with yourself, if you're happy, I'm happy."

I don't know if my lack of ambition comes from that or not, but yeah... mellow.gif

I'm sure someone must have expectations of you...? blink.gif

--------------------

--Albert Einstein--

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 03:24 PM