Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chantix, Stop smoking pill...
Shawn Gossman
post Mar 14 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 17,936

So I am wanting to quit smoking. Ive been smoking now for 15 years, I was very very very young and DUMB when I started... but i don't think I'm ready to kill over anytime soon so..... I am thinking about trying Chantix and wondering if any yall have yourself and did it work?

I hear some side effects make people really depressed, suicidal and have vivid nightmares... and hostel towards everything... I already get depressed every now and then but who doesn't right? I don't mind nightmares as I have learned how to wake myself up pretty quickly... but suicide and being hostel is not something I want seeing as I have about 8 loaded guns scattered all over my home (i live alone in the country and I'm trigger happy, what can I say lol)...

--------------------
"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." --Thomas Jefferson

"There is no doubt in my mind that Masonry is the cornerstone of America." Dave Thomas Founder of Wendy's International

Shawn Gossman
Illinois Skywarn Spotter
Storm Chaser
Illinois Skywarn Community
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 15 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,641

this is not to discourage you but of the 3 people I know who have used it, all 3 are smoking again. And one was extremely difficult to work with for a while. You may want to have plenty of support from family and friends to make it stick

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Mar 15 2010, 01:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,204

Smoking is something that YOU and only YOU have to desire to quit.

Which is stronger....your will or paper wrapped around a few grams of tobacco.

MAN UP!

This is from a near 30 year smoker that quit cold turkey 25 years ago. A small forest of toothpicks suffered a inglorious end, but that was a small price to pay. The only thing you are quitting is 1 cigarette....the next one! You only have to beat one cigarette....the next one!

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 15 2010, 01:34 AM
Post #4

I haven't decided to stop smoking yet. Maybe one day if they allow drinking on the job..........

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_drew peacock_*
post Mar 15 2010, 01:50 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 15 2010, 01:34 AM) *
I haven't decided to stop smoking yet. Maybe one day if they allow drinking on the job..........

You're already allowed to drink on the job, you're just not allowed to get caught is all.

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 15 2010, 01:56 AM
Post #6

mmmmm. Thinking, thinking. LOL

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
robofishvselvis
post Mar 15 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,471

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Mar 15 2010, 02:12 AM) *

MAN UP!
This is from a near 30 year smoker that quit cold turkey 25 years ago. A small forest of toothpicks suffered a inglorious end, but that was a small price to pay. The only thing you are quitting is 1 cigarette....the next one! You only have to beat one cigarette....the next one!

I agree with this
A friend of mine tried chantix and she hated it, it made her sick and gave her erratic mood swings
From what I hear if you have a history of depression you should definitely stay away from it

--------------------
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

-Douglas Adams

+Quote Post
MrsLewis
post Mar 15 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #8

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 12,284

I quit smoking with Chantix in 8/2007. For me, it was incredibly easy. By the 7th day, I could not stand cigarettes anymore. In fact, they still make me sick. Shortly after the 7th day, I stopped taking the Chantix pills, as well. I have to say, the pills make you feel almost 'numb'. I can see how some folks could get depressed or even commit suicide while taking them... thats one of the reasons why I stopped - but it did the job! Im totally smoke free and will never go back!

--------------------
Kay Lewis
Proud to be an Accuweather.com
Global Moderator

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Mar 15 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,678

NOTE: I am not a pharmacist and I do not play one on the internet. I was a pharmacy tech in a previous life though.

I wouldn't reccomend Chantix if you have a history of depression. Wellbutrin (Buproprion, Zyban, it's all the same thing) is an anti-depressant and helped me quit smoking last time. Just an FYI in case you go the drug route.

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
Papa_Bear
post Mar 15 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,382

everyone has great advice ..but I don't think any kind of pill or patch or any other so called remedy is necessary for one to quit..I am not a smoker and never was but i do have friends who have and do smoke...my friends husband just decided to quit after many yrs and she wants to do the same...I think just quitting cold turkey is the way to go...of course you will go through a withdrawal phase for a couple weeks but that will pass...think of your health smile.gif

--------------------
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Mar 15 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,678

QUOTE(Papa_Bear @ Mar 15 2010, 12:02 PM) *
everyone has great advice ..but I don't think any kind of pill or patch or any other so called remedy is necessary for one to quit..I am not a smoker and never was but i do have friends who have and do smoke...my friends husband just decided to quit after many yrs and she wants to do the same...I think just quitting cold turkey is the way to go...of course you will go through a withdrawal phase for a couple weeks but that will pass...think of your health smile.gif

With all due respect, Papa Bear, you said it yourself. You don't smoke. Do you know what it's like to go cold turkey?

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
robofishvselvis
post Mar 15 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,471

You know, I quit for nine months and hopped back from stress, it was stupid I know
But when I quit it was cold turkey, the hardest part for me was sleep.

The first week I got maybe four hours of sleep. And when I did I kept having insane dreams that would wake me back up, not fun at all. Wish I would've stayed off them though, I'm planning on going through it all over again soon

--------------------
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

-Douglas Adams

+Quote Post
gloryboy1417
post Mar 15 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,780

A couple of my friends used Smoke Away and said it worked great, I am trying to decide if I want to try it or be a man and do it cold Turkey.

--------------------
Kevin
Eastern Berks Fire Department
Bally Community Ambulance

+Quote Post
esimon
post Mar 15 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,803

Tried it when it first came out, before anyone knew of the serious side effects. For me it worked wonderful, except for the incredible dreams, depression and actual thoughts of suicide, which I have never in my life experienced. I quit when I realized that it was the drug and not the lack of smoking, and sadly started again, but I won't touch Chantix for anything now. However, two close friends have used it without the side effects, quit smoking with a minimal weight gain, and have stayed non-smokers for almost a year now. Like any drug it is specific to the user. It works for a large majority of people that take it. Talk to your Doctor about all the side effects, know exactly what they are and be aware of them if they happen.

Good luck, there is nothing easy about quitting. Chantix is amazing when it works, just watch closely for any changes in your normal behavior or how you feel.

+Quote Post
Shawn Gossman
post Mar 15 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #15

I cant to it cold turkey, I have tried... It is impossible! LOL

--------------------
"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." --Thomas Jefferson

"There is no doubt in my mind that Masonry is the cornerstone of America." Dave Thomas Founder of Wendy's International

Shawn Gossman
Illinois Skywarn Spotter
Storm Chaser

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Mar 15 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,204

No method will work unless

You are
TOTALLY COMMITTED
to quitting

It is your MIND of the matter of 1 cigarette.

Your mind does matter....not the cigarette.

This post has been edited by mmi16: Mar 15 2010, 08:11 PM

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
jacksonville
post Mar 15 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 20,964

I got hipnatized, worked great. No, (none) withdrawal pain. You really have to want to quit. If you don't really want to quit, it will not work.

+Quote Post
Shawn Gossman
post Mar 17 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #18

I can't be hypnotized.

--------------------

Shawn Gossman
Illinois Skywarn Spotter
Storm Chaser

+Quote Post
Maw
post Mar 18 2010, 06:51 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,971

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Mar 15 2010, 02:12 AM) *

MAN UP!

mmi almost sounds like a motivational speaker. Almost... (Take out the "MAN UP!" - which by the way, is my favorite part of the post. Hehehe.)

I like the thought about it being only one cigarette - the next one. Who is going to win, that ONE cigarette or your will? Great food for thought right there.

I've never smoked, so it's all Greek to me. However, I know you can do this Shawny!

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Mar 18 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,489

QUOTE(Shawn Gossman @ Mar 15 2010, 08:09 PM) *
I cant to it cold turkey, I have tried... It is impossible! LOL

My father (58) has been smoking since he was 11 years old....he started Chantix in August 2009 and is still smoke free. I'm so proud of him.

Because of the side effects, he made sure my step-mom kept a close eye on his moods, and he did report vivid dreams. My Dad has always been a bit salty and difficult to work with, so I'm not sure the guys who work for him noticed much of a difference. smile.gif

Whatever you decide....I wish you all the best. My grandfather and Grandmother (my Dads's parents) and my father-in-law all died from smoking related cancers.....do it for your health.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 11:00 PM