Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> StormTimer, Storm IDs in table and on radar don't match
ConeOfUncertaint...
post Mar 15 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,309

I'm a new one-month guest Premium member, and am knocked out by how cool AccuWeather.com is. I will definitely be staying on as a paid subscriber next month.

One thing that's taken me awhile to partly figure out* is StormTimer. But what's still confusing me is that the 2-character Storm IDs displayed on the radar don't match up, in most cases, with the Storm IDs in the NEXRAD Storm Information Table. And I can only see four or five storms listed in the Table even though I can tell there are more there than fit on the display. Is there a way to see more storms on the table that I'm missing?

*Suggestions for other new members searching here for help on how to see StormTimer that took me some trial and error to figure out, because StormTimer isn't a menu choice: To see StormTimer, login at
http://premiuma.accuweather.com/premium/index.asp?
and zoom the National Radar in to a location where there's an active storm by clicking there. You may need to find an area of the National Radar with some yellow and red on the radar, as StormTimer data may not be displayed if there's only light or even moderate precip. You want the Local Radar for that area, and you want to select Enlarge and Animate. With the StormTimer box near the upper right corner checked, if there are storms being tracked, arrows will appear on the radar showing the directions of storms with a white-on-blue NEXRAD Storm Information Table below. Each of, usually, four boxes on each arrow show the predicted location of the center of the storm at 15-minute intervals over the next hour after the designated time. Click on a heading for an explanation of the data in the table, as there's lots of data in that table about the storm. Very cool!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Mar 29 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(ConeOfUncertainty @ Mar 15 2010, 04:16 PM) *
I'm a new one-month guest Premium member, and am knocked out by how cool AccuWeather.com is. I will definitely be staying on as a paid subscriber next month.

Great, thanks!

QUOTE(ConeOfUncertainty @ Mar 15 2010, 04:16 PM) *
One thing that's taken me awhile to partly figure out* is StormTimer. But what's still confusing me is that the 2-character Storm IDs displayed on the radar don't match up, in most cases, with the Storm IDs in the NEXRAD Storm Information Table. And I can only see four or five storms listed in the Table even though I can tell there are more there than fit on the display. Is there a way to see more storms on the table that I'm missing?

The top 5 storms are shown on the image, and should be the ones at the top of the box (unless there is a mismatch in times between the two), but the box should have a scroll bar as shown below. What browser are you using?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  3_29_2010_3_53_40_PM.png ( 30.72K ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
ConeOfUncertaint...
post Mar 29 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Thanks, Jesse.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.2

I should clarify that I'm not really seeking a fix, here; more an understanding of the mechanics of what's happening. It would be nice to always be able to see the MESO data and the hail data for a storm on the radar (especially one heading in my direction!), but maybe it's not possible.

When a storm line first pops in StormTimer, the match between what's on the radar and what's in the Storm Information Table is often pretty good. I suspect that as the storm moves forward and gets updated on the radar, especially and understandably if it's quite active and evolving every few minutes, the two-character codes seem to change faster than they get updated on the table. "Old" storm data are not necessarily getting removed. Sometimes there just isn't a match at all. This happens whether or not I reload the webpage. Accu-weather.com is really good about live updating itself, whether or not the page is reloaded, a feature worth paying for, IMO.

Of the locations I check most frequently, the one that's had the weakest correspondence between storm codes on the radar and storm codes in the table is Boston. Here's a current screen capture (fortunately it's raining right now):

Attached File  AccuWeather.com_Premium__Radar__Boston_Local_Radar_Base_Reflectivity_Tilt_2_1269893852665.jpeg ( 108.48K ) Number of downloads: 1

The storms shown on the radar are coded M7, D5, K7, L7, and C7. It seems the storm action there is weakening at this time, with no StormTimer arrows displayed. They were likely there earlier, though I wasn't checking then. None of these five storms are in the Storm Table, and I believe that the Storm Table for Boston, unlike other local radars, won't scroll down to show more than five storms; here, the bar is pulled all the way down, and all that scrolls off the display of the table is the header. For some reason, the correspondence between two-character storm codes on the radar and in the table, for Boston, as I say, has been weak at the times I've seen radars there since mid-March, even when storms are showing with StormTimer predicted tracks.

Here's a current example from South Florida, and more typical of what I see in other locations, where some storms on the radar appear in the table (E7 and E4), but other storms on the radar do not appear in the table (even if I scroll the table down, which I can do for South Florida and locations other than Boston, generally); also, most storms in the table are no longer on the radar:

Attached File  AccuWeather.com_Premium__Radar__Miami_Local_Radar_Base_Reflectivity_Tilt_2_1269893233524.jpeg ( 98K ) Number of downloads: 1

Watching the south Florida radar this morning with StormTimer and the Storm Table, it was easy to pick out even before the story hit the news wire of a possible tornado touchdown in Broward County near Oakland Park, FL, rotating MESO action approaching that area right at the predicted time. Very cool! from here, anyway... not so cool on the ground in Oakland Park, I'm sure...

This post has been edited by ConeOfUncertainty: Mar 29 2010, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post
ConeOfUncertaint...
post Mar 30 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #4

Now, this morning in Boston, the Storm Table will scroll (as I posted above, it often won't scroll the table for me with the Boston radar, for whatever reason, but this morning it will).

However, now with four StormTrack arrows on the Boston radar, again there is zero match between the storm codes on the radar (A6, X4, Z4, B6 with StormTrack arrows, and Z5 and E6 with no arrows) and the storm codes displayed on the Storm Table (X9, K9, Q9, I8, scrolled down to also display B9, A9, K9, L9, Y9, and cutting off possibly T9):

Attached File  AccuWeather.com_Premium__Radar__Boston_Local_Radar_Base_Reflectivity_Tilt_2_1269951815174.jpeg ( 102.21K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  AccuWeather.com_Premium__Radar__Boston_pt_2.jpeg ( 35.94K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File(s)
Attached File  AccuWeather.com_Premium__Radar__Boston_pt_2.jpeg ( 28.17K ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 11:20 AM