Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The New Web Format
OhZone
post Apr 20 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,846

I absolutely, totally HATE your new format.
It is pretty and also Useless.
I have to learn all over again how to find what I am looking for.
I can't just simply zoom in on the national map to get down to local.
You don't have the option of seeing at a glance the weather in personally selected areas.
mad.gif

When you have a good thing, don't change it.

So some programmer sold you on his new idea.....he's of course out to make money and does not have you customer's needs in mind.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WNYLakeEffect
post Apr 22 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,475

It also seems that the whole 'move blog comments to the forum' idea has failed...so far. A quick peak at the bot forum seems to have an abundance of 0's, but little nothing else. The majority of posts don't even have over 20 views and none over 30 (As of 10:28AM 4/22/2010 on the first page). The climate, Canada, international, and astronomy bots have clogged up active, but slow moving forums and brought activity to a near standstill in two. I have no desire to comment on blog posts anymore (which was rare before, but I still did it) and all I have to do is click . We'll see what happens come next winter, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This post has been edited by WNYLakeEffect: Apr 22 2010, 09:39 AM

--------------------
Winter 2010-11 Snow: 148.0"
Winter 2009-10 Snow: 128.3"
Winter 2008-09 Snow: 175.0"

+Quote Post
goober
post May 7 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,138

QUOTE(OhZone @ Apr 20 2010, 04:56 PM) *
I absolutely, totally HATE your new format.
It is pretty and also Useless.
I have to learn all over again how to find what I am looking for.
I can't just simply zoom in on the national map to get down to local.
You don't have the option of seeing at a glance the weather in personally selected areas.
mad.gif

When you have a good thing, don't change it.

So some programmer sold you on his new idea.....he's of course out to make money and does not have you customer's needs in mind.

I agree, 100% This format sucks. It is not user friendly, the radar is 45 minutes behind, it doesn't allow you to zoom in locally. I'm going to start looking at other weather websites.

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post May 8 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #4

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(goober @ May 7 2010, 09:08 PM) *
I agree, 100% This format sucks. It is not user friendly, the radar is 45 minutes behind, it doesn't allow you to zoom in locally. I'm going to start looking at other weather websites.

If you utilize the Mapspace feature, it does allow you to zoom locally. Also, the timing is roughly 10-15 minutes behind.

A quick search on both Mapspace and the local LSX (St. Louis, MO) radars below. It's 1:42pm here in Central MO.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  NWS_LSX.png ( 486.41K ) Number of downloads: 10
Attached File  Mapspace.png ( 203.88K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
Raficoo
post May 16 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 22,784

i also hate the new web Format(International), because in the previous design, you could set your favorite Cities list on the left, have a simple Temperature Graph on the bottom and the map is ready at the bottom for the region.

+the monthly weather dates (that you could see which days are sunny, rainy, snowy, etc... ) is gone sad.gif

also, everytime you load a forecast page, you always have to manually Switch the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius.+ i miss the option that you could see a simple 15day forecast as simple as a press of a button unsure.gif

+ i just noticed that when you switch to the 2nd week forecast and want to go to the "next week", it simply loads the same page without any notice of a premium account required.

i admire Accu's development of the site, but like what "OhZone" said "When you have a good thing, don't change it."

Regards,
Rafik.

+Quote Post
annee3
post May 29 2010, 07:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,246

I wholeheartedly agree with the "nays" on the new format. I hated it at first, but I gave it time so I could get used to the new features and learn what was good about them. Now, a couple of months (or is it the couple of years it seems) I hate it still. User unfriendly, too cluttered, too difficult to find out useful information.

Congratulation, Accuweather. You have managed to get me to return to my previous favorite, WeatherUnderground!

+Quote Post
An_Infidel
post Jun 25 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 23,036

I have to say, I agree with everything above. Also, if you don't mind, I'd really like to see the storm-strength indicator icons removed from the satellite views in the hurricane section. Seriously, there are plenty of weather maps on this site where you can put those icons; there's no need to cover up the satellite imagery. It kind of defeats the point of having satellite imagery when you cover up the storms I'm trying to look at.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Xienix
post Jul 9 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 23,029

When I first looked at this thread, there was just OhZone who stated (s)he just hated the new format.

I tend to agree, but would like to specify as it is too simple to just be boo-ing. After registering for the forum, then forgetting about it, I now see other persons have been more specific, and I agree.

I have been trying to get used to the new format (international, as I am in Europe), but then when I check your Canadian site to see how my relatives are doing weatherwise, I remember how Accuweather once was a very accessible, orderly site.

For one thing, mentioned already, having to switch to metric every time a new page opens. I understand you are US based, and therefore in Fahrenheit by default, but most of the rest of the world is not.
Given the fact that you offer your international sites in other languages, I may conclude these sites are not necessarily meant for the US citizen travelling abroad, in which case sticking to Fahrenheit would be defendable. So in fact, anyone doing a search for a non-US place, especially when changing the language to other than English, should have metric offered by default, or else need to only switch once.

Then the 15-day forecast table and temperature graph is gone. This was one of the more important features.

The big picto's that come with the hour-by-hour forcast do not do much good either. The overview is gone.

And then, last but not least, the translations you offer. I am sorry, you people are great weather guys, but should be leaving language alone. First of all, at its best the result is a mix with English, in which the non-English part is toe-bending for substitute shame. You do absolutely not want the (internet based?) translation feature that is being used now.

Well, this is a whole lot of criticism. Be convinced it is meant well, if not I wouldn't bother.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 03:33 AM