Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have You Ever Seen a Tornado in Person?
Have You Ever Seen a Tornado?
Have You Ever Seen a Tornado in Person?
Yes [ 28 ] ** [42.42%]
No, but I want to. [ 34 ] ** [51.52%]
No, and I never want to. [ 4 ] ** [6.06%]
Total Votes: 66
Guests cannot vote 
Dave12308
post Aug 1 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #61

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,424

QUOTE(Delmarva Gal @ Feb 11 2011, 03:05 PM) *
ive never seen one...but i was in one...i think i was 10. we were going up to the Catulktin Mountains in frederick county md. My dad, in our 77 ford ltd, had a cb and his buddy got on and told him to turn to a certain radio station. I remember hearing them say seek shelter the whole 9. Next thing i know we stop under an over pass driving rains and howling winds were rocking that old metal tank like it was a feather! i was in the back seat screaming...it lasted maybe 10 minutes then bright blue skys...when we got to the cabins we found out it was only 1/2 mile away from the overpass we were under. I cant say ill ever forget that one

No offense, but your Father picked just about the most dangerous and least desirable places to take shelter during a tornado. I know y'all made it through just fine, but keep in mind that is NOT where you want to be during a tornadic storm.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kitagrl
post Aug 25 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 24,797

We lived in central Iowa when I was a kid and I remember seeing clouds swirling ominously, but of course dad sent us to the basement before we could see the good stuff. We spent many nights in that basement...and lots of scary midnight thunderstorms with constant lightning and constant thunder, the loudest, most dramatic storms I've ever heard. Had some close calls in Tennessee, too. Never got the chance to see one in person.... I'd have to say, maybe due to my childhood, a tornado is the one weather phenomenon that scares me most....everything else is pretty cool....but tornadoes are scary.

--------------------
Midwest transplant always hoping for exciting weather in Philly....

+Quote Post
yankees
post Oct 4 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 13,731

Well I never personaly saw one but one supposedly hit my nieghborhood back in July of 1989. Two of my neighbors said it happened. My one neighbor said his wife heard a train sound as it moved through his backyard. It knocked down his fence. Both said that many trees were knocked down and power was out. Now it was never confirmed by the NWS but there was a f2 in the next town over. I would say the damage says its an f0-1. The only thing about the fence is it was knocked down pretty much in one direction.

This post has been edited by yankees: Oct 4 2011, 07:17 PM

--------------------
Summer Weather Safety
Summer is here and here are some tips to stay safe

Severe Weather
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/severeweather/index.shtml

Heat Safety
http://nws.noaa.gov/os/heat/index.shtml

09-10 43.5 inches ( Newly Updated from 39 inches)
10-11 60.5 inches
11-12 21 inches
12-13 45.5 inches
13-14 57 inches

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Apr 27 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #64

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

My wife is attempting to convince me I need a tattoo with 4-14-2012 underneath a tornado after I did some storm chasing outside of Salina, KS.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
Superstorm93
post Apr 27 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 13,040

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Apr 27 2012, 05:56 PM) *
My wife is attempting to convince me I need a tattoo with 4-14-2012 underneath a tornado after I did some storm chasing outside of Salina, KS.

Your married and still allowed out?!

Last time I went out on a real chase was eons ago in May 2004. Few buddies and myself were pelted with hail the size of base balls, had my hair stick up from lightning less than 100 yards away, and saw some really decent tornadoes. Outside of that, it's just been local stuff.

Once the ink on the marriage licence was dry in 2007, that was it for me dry.gif

--------------------
Millersville University Meteorology Major

Realism

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Apr 28 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #66

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(Superstorm93 @ Apr 27 2012, 10:15 PM) *
Your married and still allowed out?!

Last time I went out on a real chase was eons ago in May 2004. Few buddies and myself were pelted with hail the size of base balls, had my hair stick up from lightning less than 100 yards away, and saw some really decent tornadoes. Outside of that, it's just been local stuff.

Once the ink on the marriage licence was dry in 2007, that was it for me dry.gif

Well...she knows that if we don't have the funds I won't go. She wasn't too excited about when I called telling her that we bagged one with the loud inflow in the background and then I ended the call. I got a good earful the next time I called her. wink.gif laugh.gif

She told me later that she didn't even think we would get one. Just a "guy thing" to go out and look around. Then she saw all the FB pictures I was posting and was having a realization of what I was truly doing. Let alone all of our FB friends calling her asking why on god's green earth she let me go storm chasing.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 11:32 AM