Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> East Coast Blizzard of 1996
yankees
post Jul 10 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,731

This Storm produced 22 in of snow and was the biggest in Mahopac history ohmy.gif... I remember how big of an impact it had in my area and along the east coast. It Virtually shut down my town and the area. Discuss the impact and your first hand account of the storm....

Thank You, Nick L

--------------------
Summer Weather Safety
Summer is here and here are some tips to stay safe

Severe Weather
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/severeweather/index.shtml

Heat Safety
http://nws.noaa.gov/os/heat/index.shtml

09-10 43.5 inches ( Newly Updated from 39 inches)
10-11 60.5 inches
11-12 21 inches
12-13 45.5 inches
13-14 57 inches
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wxruss8
post Jul 31 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,281

Here in Richmond, VA we had around 22" from that beast. I remember that day they started with a forecast of 12", then went to 16", then 18"...They had no idea. That storm shut us down for 2 weeks. In 1996 I was in 7th grade, and we got out of school for almost 2 straight weeks.

By far my favorite winter storm.

--------------------
Russ

Website on ALL things Richmond VA Weather: RVAWX.com

[size=2]Location: Chester, VA (Suburb of Richmond)

PWS: Davis Vantage Pro2
My current conditions: My Station Data

Wx Stats 2012:
Rain: 1.70"
Snow: 0"
One-Day Rain/Snow Total: Rain 0.78" 1/11
Lowest Temp: 17.2* 1/16
Highest Temp: 70.9* 1/6

PC Weather Software: GRLevel2, GREarth, Weatherlink
Android Weather Apps: Radar Alive Pro, Radarscope, My-Cast Weather Classic, WeatherGeek Pro, NBC12 Weather, Scanner Radio Pro

+Quote Post
olinger4933
post Aug 11 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,367

Def my favorite winter storm. In Front Royal, VA, I measured 37 inches - and I lived in town. Everything about that storm was perfect. Temps were in the low-mid 20's, every flake stuck, no chance of sleet mix or changing to FR as many storms here do, and it stayed below freezing for more than a week afterwards. It also occurred in early Jan, so the sun angle did not cause much snow melt. By Feb, even on a cold day the snow melts rapidly in the sun. I don't know the official record - I know there is talk of a huge storm that occurred nearer the beginning of the 1900s, and several more recent storms that deserve consideration, but this was the biggest snow of my lifetime (since 1970). It started on late Sat. evening (I, my young son, and several friends waited until we had two-inches on the ground (about midnight) then went sledding - it was a great time), and didn't stop snowing until mid-day on Monday. I've never seen a storm last that long. The town was shut-down for days. We were young, strong, and eager, so we shovelled our way out and had free run of the place. We tied sleds to the back bumper of one of friend's truck and rode them through the streets and at high speeds along the county roads. (Not smart, but when you're early 20's you do some crazy things - of course, my son was not there when we did that) We did this for about a week. It was a blast!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 08:30 AM