Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Davis WeatherLink software - on a Mac
vicciconway
post Aug 5 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,289

Hi, so I'm a Mac person. I understand the Mac version of the WeatherLink software is missing some key items, such as solar and UV. Given I have those attachments and can get that data, I'd prefer to.

Since December 2004, I've been getting all of my data through a PC. This is the ONLY reason that PC is still turned on (I switched to Mac in Jan 2008).

I'd like to run the windows software in a VM on the Mac. Has anyone else done this? Any issues with the VM seeing the weather station? Any big configuration issues?

Thank you,
Vicci
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elagache
post Aug 6 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,650

Dear Vicci,

QUOTE(vicciconway @ Aug 5 2010, 12:58 PM) *
Hi, so I'm a Mac person. I understand the Mac version of the WeatherLink software is missing some key items, such as solar and UV. Given I have those attachments and can get that data, I'd prefer to.

An alternative to the complexity of running the PC version of WeatherLink in a virtual machine is to run some Mac software that supports all the hardware devices you have. One such software package is Lightsoft Weather Center. It has been written for Mac and therefore has a proper Mac interface that you should appreciate. It also is vastly superior to even the PC version of WeatherLink in terms of all the standard weather features - from uploading weather to the Internet to providing graphs and data on your computer. It is also very efficient with your computer resources, certainly far better than running Windows in a virtual machine.

Lightsoft Weather Center also has a data importer so that you can bring in all your historical data from WeatherLink.

Before going through the misery of trying to get Windows to run on your Mac, do at least take a peek at alternative. It certainly should be less of a hassle.

Sincerely,

Edouard Lagache
Orinda, CA

+Quote Post
vicciconway
post Aug 7 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,289

Edouard, thank you so much! Having something that is native Mac is much preferred!

This is awesome. Going to check it out!

Vicci

Dear Vicci,
An alternative to the complexity of running the PC version of WeatherLink in a virtual machine is to run some Mac software that supports all the hardware devices you have. One such software package is Lightsoft Weather Center. It has been written for Mac and therefore has a proper Mac interface that you should appreciate. It also is vastly superior to even the PC version of WeatherLink in terms of all the standard weather features - from uploading weather to the Internet to providing graphs and data on your computer. It is also very efficient with your computer resources, certainly far better than running Windows in a virtual machine.

Lightsoft Weather Center also has a data importer so that you can bring in all your historical data from WeatherLink.

Before going through the misery of trying to get Windows to run on your Mac, do at least take a peek at alternative. It certainly should be less of a hassle.

Sincerely,

Edouard Lagache
Orinda, CA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 02:59 PM