Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why does La Nina cause a SE ridge?, Trying to explain this to my friends
HSinVA
post Sep 16 2010, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,056

I am no meteorologist by any stretch, so maybe someone can help me. Whenever people start talking about the weather here in the SE I frequently bring up the La Nina topic. I explain to them that La Ninas typically cause the SE periods of excessive warmth and dryness driven by higher pressure ...but I can never explain why.

What happens in the Pacific that causes weather patterns to change forcing the ridging to occur in the southern US?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stormguy80
post Nov 15 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 17,400

QUOTE(HSinVA @ Sep 16 2010, 06:06 PM) *
I am no meteorologist by any stretch, so maybe someone can help me. Whenever people start talking about the weather here in the SE I frequently bring up the La Nina topic. I explain to them that La Ninas typically cause the SE periods of excessive warmth and dryness driven by higher pressure ...but I can never explain why.

What happens in the Pacific that causes weather patterns to change forcing the ridging to occur in the southern US?

The colder Pacific means that the mean trough and associated cold air that is usually over the east is able to set up farther west. This causes the western Atlantic ridge to also set up farther west over the SE US.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 03:07 PM