Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blog Suggestion- Surf's up!, You could bring in a lot of numbers w/ a surf forecaster
Mendo101
post Oct 17 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,807

As you probably know, there are a number of surf forecast websites that bring in huge numbers; among them Surfline(premium and free), Wetsand, Swell.com, and Magic Seaweed among the biggies. More and more you see these websites linking to Weather Underground for their current nearshore water temps and most importantly, winds. A huge number of visitors to these surf sights are people that are zealous readers of weather data, many starting at a very early age like myself. Most of us aren't just content with surf forecasts but check weather sites as well. Weather Underground is popular because they are linked to a lot of sites, but I think a blogger would bring in folks to AccuWeather who want educated opinion, plus data, plus all the terrestrial weather info that most of us check anyway. I myself enjoy your blog section as one of my primary weather forecast info destinations.
Ken Clark is great, but because he's such a busy guy it's really unfortunate that our huge chunk of the map gets sporadic blogging compared to other regions...
My suggestion is to have another West Coast weather blogger that also covers surf, or general marine conditions, that way we get more of a coastal viewpoint represented. Sport fishing folks and beach activity people could jump on board too. My other gripe is that I feel the Coast is underrepresented in Ken's blog. I guess the Southwest has more stuff to blog about that's interesting weather to Ken.
The blogs are what keep me coming to AW, and their are a lot of people like me who would be overjoyed to see our lovely coast get represented in addition to more regular regional blog coverage.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
idecline
post Nov 6 2010, 04:43 AM
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,866

QUOTE(Mendo101 @ Oct 17 2010, 07:24 PM) *
As you probably know, there are a number of surf forecast websites that bring in huge numbers; among them Surfline(premium and free), Wetsand, Swell.com, and Magic Seaweed among the biggies. More and more you see these websites linking to Weather Underground for their current nearshore water temps and most importantly, winds. A huge number of visitors to these surf sights are people that are zealous readers of weather data, many starting at a very early age like myself. Most of us aren't just content with surf forecasts but check weather sites as well. Weather Underground is popular because they are linked to a lot of sites, but I think a blogger would bring in folks to AccuWeather who want educated opinion, plus data, plus all the terrestrial weather info that most of us check anyway. I myself enjoy your blog section as one of my primary weather forecast info destinations.
Ken Clark is great, but because he's such a busy guy it's really unfortunate that our huge chunk of the map gets sporadic blogging compared to other regions...
My suggestion is to have another West Coast weather blogger that also covers surf, or general marine conditions, that way we get more of a coastal viewpoint represented. Sport fishing folks and beach activity people could jump on board too. My other gripe is that I feel the Coast is underrepresented in Ken's blog. I guess the Southwest has more stuff to blog about that's interesting weather to Ken.
The blogs are what keep me coming to AW, and their are a lot of people like me who would be overjoyed to see our lovely coast get represented in addition to more regular regional blog coverage.

I second your vote for more West Coast coverage, especially as I live near Santa Cruz, one of the best cold-water surfing spots in the world. There is going to be a new 'musuem' built right here in the next few years in conjunction with NOAA, that will present information about the amazing Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary. The canyon that drops off-shore of the coast is one of the most diverse marine habitats in the entire world, and many weather and ocean related research sites are right here on the central coast of California.

Give the left coast some creds for once!

--------------------
Perception is everything

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there". ~ Lewis Carroll

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving" ~ Lao Tzu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2014 - 07:48 PM