Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vantage Pro 2 Winter Readiness
Maineiac
post Nov 9 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 24,188

I'm a new owner of a Vantage Pro 2 weather station. I live in Maine and was wondering if I should cover the rain gauge during the winter months and if anyone had any suggestions on how to do so.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hailstorm
post Nov 9 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,532

Personally, I just cover mine. I use a one and a half gallon Chlorox bleach bottle, cut it in half and use the bottom portion, drill a couple of holes in the sides near the top to prevent condensation and slide it right over the collector.

If you feel the need, Davis makes a rain collector heater for the VP2 for about $150 or if you're creative, you can build your own heater. Recall reading some posts here on that subject. Good luck!

This post has been edited by hailstorm: Nov 9 2010, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
Maineiac
post Nov 11 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,188

QUOTE(hailstorm @ Nov 9 2010, 05:45 PM) *
Personally, I just cover mine. I use a one and a half gallon Chlorox bleach bottle, cut it in half and use the bottom portion, drill a couple of holes in the sides near the top to prevent condensation and slide it right over the collector.

If you feel the need, Davis makes a rain collector heater for the VP2 for about $150 or if you're creative, you can build your own heater. Recall reading some posts here on that subject. Good luck!

Thanks hailstorm that sounds like a good way of protecting the range gauge. I'm worried that a mid winter rain could end up as ice in the rain gauge mechanism.

+Quote Post
FZ583
post Nov 23 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #4

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 3,530

QUOTE(Maineiac @ Nov 9 2010, 02:20 PM) *
I'm a new owner of a Vantage Pro 2 weather station. I live in Maine and was wondering if I should cover the rain gauge during the winter months and if anyone had any suggestions on how to do so.

Thanks

Maineiac, Are you on Maine snowmbile forums? Familier name, Anyway's I live in Mass, and never have had any issues of water freezing in my uncovered rain collector, Either way you won't have accurate precip reading in the winter months without a heater installed. My father lives in Caribou and has not had any issues with his uncovered. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Thanks, Whitey

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 01:55 PM