Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Water contaminations (old and new) in the Mojave Desert, Get Erin Brokovich back on the line...
jericko
post Nov 20 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,044

A couple of days ago, PG&E announced that the toxic plume was again beginning to contaminate the water in the town of Hinkley, CA (a story which was originally told in the movie Erin Brokovich) and is offering to buy the homes of the people affected...

But things are even worse in the city of Barstow (of which Hinkley is a subcommunity)... on Thursday, the Marine Core Logistics Base located just outside of the city, found through their own water-testing that the water was infected with percholate (not the chromium-6 which infected Hinkley's water) and that people on the base should not drink it. The water company (Golden State), through further testing, found that the entire city is affected by this! Yesterday afternoon, local restaurants began closing and water distribution sites have been set up in the city.

Once the crisis is resolved, the immediate concern would be how long has it been like this... the fact that an outside source had to bring this to Golden State's attention is pretty scary when you consider the MCLB probably isn't just sitting around testing water... certainly not as frequently as you would expect the water company itself to do.

Summing up what I'm finding on wikipedia, percholate can inhibit the thyroid's ability to absorb iodine from the bloodstream, which can result in abnormal thyroid growth and affect the functioning and growth of the organism as a whole. Percholate is a salt which decomposes to create oxygen, and is frequently used in rocket fuels.

Am at work right now, will add some links to this later.

This post has been edited by jericko: Nov 20 2010, 01:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Nov 20 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,154

QUOTE(jericko @ Nov 20 2010, 01:01 PM) *
A couple of days ago, PG&E announced that the toxic plume was again beginning to contaminate the water in the town of Hinkley, CA (a story which was originally told in the movie Erin Brokovich) and is offering to buy the homes of the people affected...

But things are even worse in the city of Barstow (of which Hinkley is a subcommunity)... on Thursday, the Marine Core Logistics Base located just outside of the city, found through their own water-testing that the water was infected with percholate (not the chromium-6 which infected Hinkley's water) and that people on the base should not drink it. The water company (Golden State), through further testing, found that the entire city is affected by this! Yesterday afternoon, local restaurants began closing and water distribution sites have been set up in the city.

Once the crisis is resolved, the immediate concern would be how long has it been like this... the fact that an outside source had to bring this to Golden State's attention is pretty scary when you consider the MCLB probably isn't just sitting around testing water... certainly not as frequently as you would expect the water company itself to do.

Summing up what I'm finding on wikipedia, percholate can inhibit the thyroid's ability to absorb iodine from the bloodstream, which can result in abnormal thyroid growth and affect the functioning and growth of the organism as a whole. Percholate is a salt which decomposes to create oxygen, and is frequently used in rocket fuels.

Jerico, I think I detect a tiny bit of concern for your fellow human beings! I think you hate everyone just a teeny bit less now. This is a very sad story. Buying up houses won't begin to compensate for the damage done to the physical well-being of the residents and there will never be enough compensation for the fear they will all live with for the rest of their lives, waiting for their fingernails to turn black or sores to appear inside their mouths.

--------------------

Being there for a friend is one of the greatest gifts you can give.
Another one is allowing them to be there for you too.

~Doe Zantamata

+Quote Post
Al.J
post Nov 20 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,400

QUOTE(jericko @ Nov 20 2010, 10:01 AM) *

Just another reason to hate PG&E, they're responsible for the blast that occurred back a few months ago in San Bruno as well, when will the problems and the loss of life the cause end with PG&E? mad.gif

--------------------
Class of 2010
B.S. Managerial Economics
Alumni UC Davis

+Quote Post
jericko
post Nov 22 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,044

First of all, I'd like to clear up the misconception about my humanity. I'm dead inside. I care about the welfare of Barstow because there are people there who owe me money.

Secondly... an update on Barstow... governor declared a state of emergency on Saturday... the water company has been working on flushing the contaminated wells, and on Sunday announced that part of the town could begin using their water again.

+Quote Post
Sovolis
post Nov 22 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,778

QUOTE(jericko @ Nov 22 2010, 09:25 AM) *
First of all, I'd like to clear up the misconception about my humanity. I'm dead inside. I care about the welfare of Barstow because there are people there who owe me money.

laugh.gif So the General Zod avatar is very closely symbolic?

--------------------
QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Nov 4 2010, 10:57 PM) *
A squirrel cannot carry the rabies virus... but has no trouble carrying the AK-47 assault rifle or the M72 Light Anti-tank weapon ( LAWS rocket)!! :unsure: :lol:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 06:41 PM