Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> 12/10 Server Maintenance Bugs - Complete, Now closed; post in Avatar / Errors Threads
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 14 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #1

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

After maintenance is complete Thursday and things come back up, post here if you see functionality which is not normal. This topic will be opened at the end of the maintenance period.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 16 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #2

Admin

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Dec 14 2010, 04:05 PM) *
After maintenance is complete Thursday and things come back up, post here if you see functionality which is not normal. This topic will be opened at the end of the maintenance period.

Testing attachments...
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 16 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #3

Admin

Service is complete; seems to have gone well. Very quick thanks to the AccuWeather.com IT & Networking departments. If anything is amiss, let us know here and we'll look into it.

The presumption here is that this will give us much, much more serving capacity and speed, and make it very easy to add additional power if needed. Plus, scheduled maintenance can be done on the servers without interrupting service.

That said, this was a complex migration and I wouldn't be surprised if there are hiccups this week/end, especially considering the high traffic that we've been taking on because of the storms. If that happens, I thank you ahead of time for your patience.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 16 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Admin

Had a problem where attachments were not being saved between 3 pm & 4 pm... should be better now. We apologize for the inconvenience but the attachments are not recoverable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrooklineTom
post Dec 16 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,189

I don't see any comment threads on Brett's Global Climate Change Blog.

The thread-starters on the front page (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/climatechange/), and each individual thread seems to open ok (such as "Changing our Behavior is Best Hope to Avoid future Suffering, http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/climatech...-is-best-1.asp).

Sadly, the "POST & VIEW COMMENTS" link points to the forums, not the comments.

Ah, I think I see at least one problem. The above link ("POST & VIEW COMMENTS") should point at "http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/climatechange/story/42768/changing-our-behavior-is-best-1.asp", and instead points to the following: "http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic="

This looks like a javascript/PHP bug to me. We've been seeing something similar on occasional threads, it now seems to happen to all of them.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine, if that helps your IT folks.

Kudos on the upgrade, by the way, once the bugs are ironed out I'm sure it will be BIG improvement.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 16 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #6

Admin

QUOTE(BrooklineTom @ Dec 16 2010, 07:09 PM) *
I don't see any comment threads on Brett's Global Climate Change Blog.

The thread-starters on the front page (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/climatechange/), and each individual thread seems to open ok (such as "Changing our Behavior is Best Hope to Avoid future Suffering, http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/climatech...-is-best-1.asp).

Sadly, the "POST & VIEW COMMENTS" link points to the forums, not the comments.

Ah, I think I see at least one problem. The above link ("POST & VIEW COMMENTS") should point at "http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/climatechange/story/42768/changing-our-behavior-is-best-1.asp", and instead points to the following: "http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic="

This looks like a javascript/PHP bug to me. We've been seeing something similar on occasional threads, it now seems to happen to all of them.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine, if that helps your IT folks.

Kudos on the upgrade, by the way, once the bugs are ironed out I'm sure it will be BIG improvement.

Yeah looks like the Forums lost communication with the blogs. They are working on this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HarvardAce
post Dec 16 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,442

Seeing an issue on multiple computers where the forum page content loads, but there is still an outstanding request for wxport.accuweather.com that runs for about 30-60 seconds before it stops (presumably timing out). This is preventing the after-load javascript items from running on the forum before the timeout, so things like image resizes won't happen for around a minute after the rest of the page loads.

+Quote Post
HarvardAce
post Dec 17 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(HarvardAce @ Dec 16 2010, 09:37 PM) *
Seeing an issue on multiple computers where the forum page content loads, but there is still an outstanding request for wxport.accuweather.com that runs for about 30-60 seconds before it stops (presumably timing out). This is preventing the after-load javascript items from running on the forum before the timeout, so things like image resizes won't happen for around a minute after the rest of the page loads.

Did some more digging and it seems to be related to the "current weather" graphics that show up in the profile information on each post, for those who have set their location. They don't seem to be timing out, but they are taking approximately 20-40 seconds to load for each image, which can cause an entire page with 20 posts to take several minutes to finish loading.

+Quote Post
BrooklineTom
post Dec 17 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,189

The comments are again properly linked in Brett's Climate Change blog, please pass along my kudos to your IT staff.

For what it's worth, most of the delays I see in site performance are from the various ad servers embedded in the requested Accuweather page. Any of the ad servers can choke or delay, and that in turn blocks the display of the requested page. Changes to your own servers aren't going to help that much.

A different approach, though perhaps challenging to your own IT staff, is to wrap the ads in code that allows the rest of the page to continue loading while waiting for the ad. Your advertisers might not like that approach as much, because it tends to interfere with the impression counts and such. It does, however, improve the user experience for your audience. It's one of those trade-offs.

The Accuweather content itself seems to be doing just fine now.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 18 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #10

Admin

Thanks all. We are still investigating why there are IPS Driver errors in the evenings.

As to the WxPorts, which show the current conditions, I'm sure that server slows down from time to time and we often remove them during high traffic conditions. Should you see them slowing down at another time, please PM me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HarvardAce
post Dec 20 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Dec 18 2010, 02:55 PM) *
As to the WxPorts, which show the current conditions, I'm sure that server slows down from time to time and we often remove them during high traffic conditions. Should you see them slowing down at another time, please PM me.

Yes, it does seem to be tied to traffic to the forums -- yesterday morning there weren't any issues, but now with the 25-27th thread up to 550+ users I'm seeing slowdowns again. I've blocked the wxports domain on my browser to avoid the slowdown, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to make it a user setting to not show them so those less technically savvy would be able to avoid the slowdowns.

It is especially painful for me at work because our proxy limits the number of external connections and with 10-20 outstanding requests for wxports, no other external traffic gets out until the wxports timeout/return or I manually stop them.

This post has been edited by HarvardAce: Dec 20 2010, 11:56 AM

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 20 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #12

Admin

Thanks for your help. Maintenance being over, I'm moving posts to either the Avatar or Forum Slowness threads; please post additional issues there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 06:56 AM