Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What causes the gap over Philly?
Kitagrl
post Dec 24 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 24,797

I'm a newbie here and I'm not really well educated in reading the meteorological maps...but I love weather, have a science background, and my dad is sort of a self-made geologist and has also always been interested in weather...so anyway...setting up the background for my question here.

I've always lived in the midwest and then a few years in the southeast and I've never seen the weather patterns that I've experienced now living here just outside of Northeast Philadelphia. All summer long I watch big storm systems travel across the state and die out just before they get to us, leaving us only rain but no thunder...but often they will redevelop right after they pass overhead, and get the coast pretty well.

In the winter, we get snow to the north and snow to the south but need perfect conditions to actually get snow on our doorstep.

I am guessing it has to do with being sandwiched between the Apps and the ocean...and how the air currents and fronts behave right here...but I would like to understand further what is happening to where most of the larger weather events skirt around us, or die out before they reach us (only to sometimes redevelop to the east).

I guess I shouldn't complain that we don't have tornadoes, hailstorms, or blizzards like when I lived in Iowa and South Dakota or even the dangerous springtime weather in TN and SC...but man...I'd like a good thunderboomer once in awhile or a decent amount of snow! haha.

Thanks for reading my rambling post and in advance for any insight!!!!

--------------------
Midwest transplant always hoping for exciting weather in Philly....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 11:47 PM