Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arizona Rep Shot
CMeyers
post Jan 8 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,879

Arizona represnetative Gabrielle Giffords was shot during an event with constituents at a grocery store a couple hours ago. Reports are that 12 were shot including her. Some reports have 6 people dead including her. Last I heard dem party officials were saying she was in critical condition and still in surgery. Not too many details at the moment. Sounds like a gunman ran in, started shooting and then was aprehended. Supposedly the gunman is in custody. No word yet on name, political affiliation, religious affiliation, immigration status or any other details of that sort...

Regardless of my opinion of her politics she was serving the people in the way she saw best and did not deserve this. I hope the gunman gets put on trial and then fried.

Edit 3:08 - Reports from the hopsital (University Medical Center) are that she is still alive and in surgery.

Edit 3:37 - WTF is it with news agencies and not confirming details like DEATH before reporting? ALL of the major news agencies reported she was dead. Now they all agree she is currently in critical condition in the hospital after being shot in the head. Do the reporters listen to a witness who says "OMG she was shot in the head and there was blood everywhere I think she must be dead!!!" and take that at face value and report, as fact, that she died? Journalistic integrity would be a nice thing to see make a push back into the main-stream. /rant

Edit 3:45 - Reports from hospital are that she is responsive to commands from doctors. ie; she's not brain dead, comatose or dead. Time will tell if this is accurate.

Edit 3:58 - Pima county Sherriff reports that 6 are dead and 12 others injured after the shooting. Giffords is among the injured and not the dead. Suspect is in custody, no more details on that end officially. However the AP is reporting the name as Jared Laughner aged 22, white male.
Or at least something that sounds like "Jared Laughner". Could be Gerald Laudner or some combination of the two. Different spellings on different sources. Not sure why.

Edit 4:11 - Word from the doctor (Peter Rhee) is that Giffords is out of surgery and he is "optimistic" of a recovery. Single gunshot wound to the head. Also, reports are that a federal district court judge John Roll was killed. He was the chief judge in Arizona. A federal aid (unidentified so far as I know) was also killed). Also, word is the attack was carried out with a pistol, as I had assumed based on reports of total shots fired as well as the high number of injuries compared to shots fired.

Edit 4:30 - The guy's even got a youtube channel. Including several videos, one of which titled "my final thoughts" which was posted december 15th makes him seem like the type who would do something like this. Oddly enough he seems to be only half a wack-job. But, being half a wack-job is enough to cause someone to shoot up a grocery store apparently. His name is Jared Lee Laughner in any case.

Edit 4:40 - Now that I've watched his other videos I've changed my opinion, he seems to be a complete wack-job.

Edit 4:40 - Giffords is still in critical condition after getting out of surgery.

*Side note-
I'm updating this as I learn more. My sources are wide and varied and not limited to tv news or online news sources. As such there's a lot of differing and varied information at the moment and I'm trying to only post what is backed by mulitple sources.

This post has been edited by CMeyers: Jan 8 2011, 04:41 PM

--------------------
ChsChargers09 - Please be aware that there is a significant chance I was being sarcastic in the above comment. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Jan 8 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Not much new in the last few hours now. Current information is in pretty good agreement with itself across all sources and most of the details seem to mesh.

Representative Gabrielle Giffords was taking part in a "congress on your corner" event at a local grocery store and a single gunman opened fire with a 9mm handgun firing about 20 shots and wounding 18 people. 6 of them died including the Chief Justice from Arizona John Roll and an un-named 9-year old girl. Others include at least one congressional aide, the rest are unknown at the moment. 12 people remain injured and at least 5 are in critical condition, expectations as to their recoveries are unknown to me.

Gunman named Jared Lee Laughner a 22-year old white male from Tuscon Arizona and attendee of Pima county Community College. He is in custody. Tried to run after shooting but was tackled by bystanders and taken into custody by the sheriffs dept. Word is that two others have been arrested in connection to the shooting but details remain sketchy and I don't know if they were at the scene or potential co-conspirators from afar; many other possibilities too... He was anti-government, believed the gov was practicing mind-control or something, also didn't like that our currency wasn't backed by gold (a very valid point amongst a bunch of lunacy actually). Everything known about him seems to fit in nicely and make sense.

Gabrielle Giffords was shot with a simple through and through, in one temple, through part of the brain and out the other side. She was in surgery for, as far as I could tell, about 3 hours and last I heard is in critical condition. Head of the trauma center said he is "optimistic" about her recovery. Sounds very promising. For those who don't know she's a democratic-party aligned representative from Arizona. Occasionally more of a "blue-dog" type democrat but more often than not seems to fall in with party lines.

The judge was appointed by Bush in 1991. He's a big loss to the judicial system in my opinion. It's fully possible that he was the target and not the congress-woman. It could have been both also. No way of knowing at this point.

--------------------
ChsChargers09 - Please be aware that there is a significant chance I was being sarcastic in the above comment. Thank you.

+Quote Post
harum-scarum
post Jan 8 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,048

Messed up stuff...Just so wrong. Apparently Giffords appeared on Sarah Palin's Take Back the 20 list which lists the names of the Dems who voted for Obama's health care. It shows bulls-eyes on a map and the words, "We've diagnosed the problem ... help us prescribe the solution."

This post has been edited by harum-scarum: Jan 8 2011, 07:28 PM

--------------------
"Curiouser and curiouser!"
Kiss me baby I am SnowWhite sleeping in a coffin, waiting for you.
Here I am a rabbit hearted girl.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Don't Panic

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Jan 8 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(harum-scarum @ Jan 8 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Messed up stuff...Just so wrong. Apparently Giffords appeared on Sarah Palin's Take Back the 20 list which lists the names of the Dems who voted for Obama's health care. It shows bulls-eyes on a map and the words, "We've diagnosed the problem ... help us prescribe the solution."

Means nothing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
harum-scarum
post Jan 8 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #5

Not saying it does, just an interesting fact.

--------------------
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Don't Panic

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 8 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,204

QUOTE(CMeyers @ Jan 8 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Means nothing.

To Wack Jobs - nothing means everything!

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Jan 8 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jan 8 2011, 09:06 PM) *
To Wack Jobs - nothing means everything!

laugh.gif That's true.

However, from what this guy had written/recorded that I've seen he doesn't sound like a right-wing type wack-job at all. I don't think anyone (save wack-jobs, which is a potential flaw in this logic admittedly) would construe Palin's comments/maps/drawings to mean she wanted those representatives shot. More like the "Let's put 'em in the cross-hairs and beat them in this next election". That flaw I mention I don't believe plays a factor in this because I don't think this guy was motivated by political party so much as motivated by an anti-government stance.

Too much speculation though. No motives are known yet for certain and I'm not even convinced he was going after the congresswoman as opposed to the judge in the first place. Either would have been convenient targets for his apparent anger. Maybe it'll be known at some point, but I somehow doubt it.

Politicians are hated by people on all sides of the spectrum, most who tend towards the middle (as almost all main-stream politicians do, in the big scheme of things) are hated equally by the facists and the anarchists. Knowing what party somebody is doesn't make clear what party the particular wack-job who shoots them was affiliated with. Heck, my guess is that it didn't matter what party she was in the first place. But, that's just that, a guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 9 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,641

My prayers go to the victims and families. But I find this more distrubing coming on the heels of the "flaming" letters that were sent. Are certain people having a mass brain snap?

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
yeti
post Jan 10 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,044

Sad news indeed.

--------------------
I cant change the world and make things fair, the least that I can do is care......

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Jan 10 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #10

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

We will be watching this thread for political overtones as that's against the guidelines.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
alpdexplorer
post Jan 11 2011, 02:13 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 23,542

Shooting people is not going to help anything.... what is this world coming to?

This post has been edited by alpdexplorer: Jan 11 2011, 02:14 AM

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 11 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(alpdexplorer @ Jan 11 2011, 02:13 AM) *
Shooting people is not going to help anything.... what is this world coming to?

Unfortunately the World has more than enough wack jobs....of all political and religious persuasion who think they will change the World to their views with violence. This is nothing new occurring before history was invented and unfortunately it will continue to occur until the end of days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
harum-scarum
post Jan 11 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #13

The Westboro Baptist Church is picketing the little girl's funeral. mad.gif

--------------------
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Don't Panic

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jan 11 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,154

QUOTE(harum-scarum @ Jan 11 2011, 11:23 AM) *
The Westboro Baptist Church is picketing the little girl's funeral. mad.gif

Is that the "church" that pickets Military funerals? Why in Heaven's name would they picket
a little girl's funeral? unsure.gif That is too, too sad.

--------------------

The heart isn't blind, it just sees what it wants to see.

Earl Thomas Conley, "Nobody Falls Like A Fool"

+Quote Post
Sovolis
post Jan 11 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 20,778

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Jan 11 2011, 10:51 AM) *
Is that the "church" that pickets Military funerals? Why in Heaven's name would they picket

Because they don't care about anything except thier agenda of hate. Any event that gets national attention they will picket because at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it makes sense to do so, but whether or not they re-directed the spotlight to themselves. All WBC cares about is putting thier agenda of hate front and center on a national stage. If the funeral of a 9 year old does that than they will seize the opportunity. If a military funeral will accomplish thier goals then they will be there. Celebrity died? If the funeral is large enough and gets national attention WBC will be there. I would imagine that if there was a politician that shared thier assinine agenda and was an ally to them who happened to pass away they would picket that politicians funeral for political gain. It is absolutely disgusting.

--------------------
QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Nov 4 2010, 10:57 PM) *
A squirrel cannot carry the rabies virus... but has no trouble carrying the AK-47 assault rifle or the M72 Light Anti-tank weapon ( LAWS rocket)!! :unsure: :lol:

+Quote Post
harum-scarum
post Jan 11 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #16

There are some anti protesters aka angels, wearing big angel's wings to block the WBC people from the view of the mourners.

--------------------
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Don't Panic

+Quote Post
ironwood
post Jan 11 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,165

This is certainly a very sad series of events.

But the protesting of the funerals.
I personally don't think it's right, the WBC puts their protests up all over the country for almost everything, but you have to
Remember that it's their right to do so. An article on CNN talked about some members of the town are building 10/8 ft angel wings to be worn to block the protesters from the funeral. I thought that was a great idea.

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jan 12 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 18,678

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Jan 11 2011, 09:51 AM) *

The vitrol for the protest (according to their press release) was because the little girl was Roman Catholic. In the WBC-whackery, every religion except their version has people worshiping false idols, which their angry vengeful narrow minded version of God doesn't like.

All I can say about the WBC is that I really hope Karma takes care of them in a big way.

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jan 12 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 22,154

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jan 12 2011, 10:40 AM) *
The vitrol for the protest (according to their press release) was because the little girl was Roman Catholic. In the WBC-whackery, every religion except their version has people worshiping false idols, which their angry vengeful narrow minded version of God doesn't like.

All I can say about the WBC is that I really hope Karma takes care of them in a big way.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the source of such vicious and unreasonable hatred.
What God do they worship and what "Bible" do they study that teaches such disrespect
for other's grief. They're not picketing where they dine or even their church....just where
the sorrow is most profound. And I've seen children at their rallies shouting horrible
things! ohmy.gif blink.gif. The next generaion of haters sad.gif

--------------------

The heart isn't blind, it just sees what it wants to see.

Earl Thomas Conley, "Nobody Falls Like A Fool"

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 12 2011, 08:21 PM
Post #20

WBC won't picket

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110112/ap_on_..._shot_picketing

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 01:20 PM