Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Climate/Nature Study-- Your data needed!
hinghamweather
post Feb 11 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,563

In the coming weeks, I will be doing a study to note and observe the biological effects of variation in climate. With such and unusually warm winter in many locations, there are a lot of weird things happening, making for a good time to start this mini study. Animals that are usually absent during the winter months are appearing, plants that usually bloom in April and May are showing signs of popping in the dead of Winter, and ponds and other bodies of water that are usually frozen during the winter are anything but, allowing animal and plant life to start spring early.
My goal is to show how climate and weather variations play a serious roll in typical nature patterns. The way to do this is to find as many examples of it happening as possible, and for that, I need your help. You know your area the best. I am sure you know when local flowers usually bloom for the first time, and when the birds typically arrive back at your feeder from the winter migration. Almost everywhere this year has seen some kind of change in the typical pattern because of unusual weather. I would love for you to share this information with me. Please send an e-mail to me at nature@hinghamweather.com explaining where you live (lots of trees, near a river etc.), what kind of weather you have had this year (don't worry about precise data, I can find it, just tell me if it has been warmer, colder, wetter etc. than normal) and what changes you have noticed in terms of animal movements, migrations, trees in flower or leafing out, etc. Obviously things will not stay warm forever, and some animals might be caught off guard. Let me know also of any repercussions of this early movement on the part of nature (deaths of plants and animals etc.) Any information you can provide me with is wonderful. Pictures are also always much appreciated. Below I will post the reports I get, to give you an idea of what you can send. I hope to make a documentary out of this (for a school project...won't be seen on say National Geographic unless it is really good!), and your information reports might be used. Thank you for your help!

to view reports already sent: www.hinghamweather.com/nature.htm

--------------------
Michael Page
Hingham, MA
Hingham Weather
www.hinghamweather.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 07:13 AM