Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Storm Thursday
The Snowman
post Feb 27 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 24,567

On a sunny day in late August 3 or 4 years ago, I was at lunch, looking outside, thinking how nice it was. The skies were blue, the sun in its full glory. I wanted to walk my way home it was so nice.
Around 3:00pm, I noticed it had clouded over considerably and starting to rain. I thought nothing of it, other than that my hopes for walking home were out.
By the time it was 3:30, the rain was drenching. The skies were now a deep gray, and people were gathering by the windows to watch the grass flood out and over. It was quite a rain.
Then, as we were about to be released, someone came on the intercom and told us to be taken down to the main level and begin tornado protocol.
Lightning was exploding from the skies, and thunder howled on its heels.
The hallways were jam-packed. People getting rides from others had to wait in the cars it was so bad.
At 4:00 pm, the people were finally able to get into the building from their cars.
As soon as I got home, I found out that my area had been right in the middle of a tornado warning.
I had had no idea.
My backyard took the worst hit.
A very large tree (base diameter ~1 foot?) had snapped in half. It just so happened that that specific half had fallen in my backyard.
Not long after that, when I was out and about going somewhere, I remembered what the radar had looked like- there was a second wave with pink on the radar. It delivered as promise. Heavy rains (very much blinding).
That became a front-page news story, and became known as Storm Thursday in my building.
Anyone else remember that?

--------------------
My Blog: http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com

2013-2014 Winter
Total Snowfall: 67.5''
Winter Weather Advisories: 10
Winter Storm Watches: 2 (1 Lake Effect)
Winter Storm Warnings: 7 (2 Lake Effect)

Annual Snowfall
2012-2013: 37''

You can never have too much hockey, weather or Pink Floyd.

QUOTE(John Wiedeman, May 29, 2013)
The Blackhawks have dispatched the Detroit Red Wings!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 10:08 PM