Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dealing with Tornado Anxiety
DeerfieldWeather...
post Apr 10 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,040

How does one deal with anxiety for tornadoes?

I've been dealing with this problem for years. The second there's a watch issued for my area, I'm in shut down mode and can't do anything or go anywhere.

Today I'm doing particularly bad, as I'm under the gun here in Wisconsin. I couldn't even go out to enjoy the nice weather.

Any tips or tricks? I'd gladly appreciate them.

--------------------
June 12th, 2008 Closest I've come to a tornado and pooping my pants

Unofficial weather guru of Deerfield, Wisconsin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Apr 12 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,641

QUOTE(DeerfieldWeatherguru @ Apr 10 2011, 06:47 PM) *

I've been dealing with this problem for years. The second there's a watch issued for my area, I'm in shut down mode and can't do anything or go anywhere.

Today I'm doing particularly bad, as I'm under the gun here in Wisconsin. I couldn't even go out to enjoy the nice weather.

I know somewhat how you feel. You can only take the precautions and remember, the world is large and even if there is a warning in your area, it does not mean you will be hit.
During a hurricane I sat and strained to listen for one; jumping at every rise of wind. I told myself calm down, if there is one you will know it. Of course then I heard the train (yes, as if you are sitting on the rails) and the air inside the house was as if you could almost levitate. The tornado followed the highway and went past. It came close- but did not touch the house. Of course, I was talking mighty loudly to the Lord too.

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Apr 28 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,148

QUOTE(DeerfieldWeatherguru @ Apr 10 2011, 05:47 PM) *

Knowledge and adequate preparation.

Do things like buying yourself a portable NOAA radio and make sure you have an extra set of batteries at all times. Then no matter the situation, you will have access to all warnings and breaking news.

Participate in the SKYWARN program. NWS meteorologists offer classes each year on identification of severe weather signs, measurement of hail, ice and snow and other weather related topics. Best of all, its free and you will be helping your fellow man by giving the NWS your obs.

Try to come to the realization that tornados are usually an extremely local event with the average weak tornado is only on the ground for a mile in length, and only about 100 meters wide.

Finally take note that the average warning time has constantly been increasing.

+Quote Post
Zachary Lassiter
post May 21 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 25,682

I love when severe weather is in the area... I don't have this problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tomspy77
post May 22 2011, 07:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 25,660

I too would like to discuss this as today in my area (Evergreen Park IL) we are under moderate risk for severe storms and the SPC gave us a 10% probablitity for tornadoes with us also in the hatched area...

All this is scaring me badly and I have not slept and have been jumping from site to site. I also plan on calling off work which is crazy and dangerous but id be even more scared at work then at home.

Can anyone please help me today? I just want to feel normal and I'm so scared right now even though outside at the moment birds aechirping happily and there are sunny skies with a few clouds.

I am trying to learn about the weather but really all that goes out the window on a day like todayy when it sems we are really under a threat. I keep thinking it was a moderate day when the Alabama tornadoes hit last month even though I know that that was a very rare event.

Seriously any help much appreciated I cannot describe what this feels like and would not wish this on anyone.

Excuse my typos I'm obviously enervous and typing this froma phone besides.

+Quote Post
Tornado Eric
post Feb 2 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 26,388

Just remain calm and know that whatever happens, wherever you are..everyone else is in it with you. Whether that be on the road, at work, in a grocery store, whatever..everyone will work through whatever the situation ends up being together.

And as some have said, it's exceedingly rare for a tornado to seek you out..there's just too much territory.

--------------------
Everything will be ok in the end.

If it's not ok, it's not the end.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 09:28 PM