Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> This Forum Is CLOSED, May 1, 2011 - Continue Discussions on Brett's Blog
WeatherMatrix
post Apr 20 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #1

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

We have launched Facebook Comments on our Climate Change Blog and now no longer have a need to have the comments done through the Forums.

AccuWeather wants users of the major social networks (AOL, Facebook, MSN and Yahoo) to be able to participate without having to sign up for these Forums, which is a lengthy and difficult process. This will bring the number of potential commenters on Brett's blog from the 10,000 here to over 1,000,000,000 (1 billion).

Unfortunately, if you don't use one of those services, you will not be able to participate.

This is also being done to more easily moderate and ban users who disrupt the conversations, because people can no longer participate anonymously.

If you don't want to use your personal Facebook account to post a comment on Brett's blog, page admins are also able to post from their Page Name.

As a result, this Subforum will close May 1, 2011 as part of a reduction in Subforums which have low traffic, since most of the traffic was in response to Brett's blog posts, conversations which can take place over on his blog now.

This action is not up for debate.
Reason for edit: Added text already posted below in italics

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2007cobalt
post Apr 20 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,360

So if I am understanding correctly , this forum will be gone and comments can only be made through a facebook blog ? I guess those who dont use facebook are out of luck. Not everybody uses facebook , or any other social site for that matter. I myself only sign on to facebook now and then to keep track of what my teenage kids are discussing on there but except for that I cant stand facebook and have no use for it. I am probably not alone with that.

+Quote Post
Dr. Science
post Apr 20 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,629

"We have launched Facebook Comments on our Climate Change Blog and now no longer have a need to have the comments done through the Forums.

As a result, this Subforum will close May 1, 2011 as part of a reduction in Subforums which have low traffic, since most of the traffic was in response to Brett's blog posts, conversations which can take place over on his blog now."

... Wonderful. Let's all join the lemmings on Facebook.

+Quote Post
vomit
post Apr 20 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(2007cobalt @ Apr 20 2011, 10:47 AM) *
So if I am understanding correctly , this forum will be gone and comments can only be made through a facebook blog ? I guess those who dont use facebook are out of luck.

That includes me!! mad.gif

QUOTE(2007cobalt @ Apr 20 2011, 10:47 AM) *
I cant stand facebook and have no use for it. I am probably not alone with that.

You certainly are not alone, in that! laugh.gif

Well, I had fun trolling over here! Learned a lot from the discussions. This is a bummer. My guess is the Astronomy subforum will be closed as well.

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Apr 20 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #5

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

This decision is not up for debate.

AccuWeather wants users of the major social networks (AOL, Facebook, MSN and Yahoo) to be able to participate without having to sign up for these Forums, which is a lengthy and difficult process. This will bring the number of potential commenters on Brett's blog from the 10,000 here to 1,000,000,000 (1 billion).

Unfortunately, if you don't use one of those services, you will not be able to participate.

This is also being done to more easily moderate and ban users who disrupt the conversations, because people can no longer participate anonymously.

If you don't want to use your personal Facebook account to post a comment on Brett's blog, page admins are also able to post from their Page Name.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
RobertMurphy
post Apr 20 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 23,910

"without having to sign up for these Forums, which is a lengthy and difficult process."

laugh.gif laugh.gif It takes a few minutes to sign up, just like everywhere else.

"This will bring the number of potential commenters on Brett's blog from the 10,000 here to 1,000,000,000 (1 billion)."

Be careful what you wish for. wink.gif

"This is also being done to more easily moderate and ban users who disrupt the conversations, because people can no longer participate anonymously."

Sure they can. You can be just as anonymous on Facebook as you can here. You can make up any name you want there. Accuweather really didn't research that part very well, did they? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

+Quote Post
Regg
post Apr 20 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,222

I'm not debating, but this is a very very very sad day.. I don't use Facebook and others for privacy reasons. I have a Yahoo account still open for other purposes, but when i try to post with it, it just doesn't work - yet the account is working fine. I think it needs a link to Facebook - so it's a loop to the same junk.

As per controlling and issuing bans at the user levels. One can open numerous Facebook accounts and still get to write whatever *bleep* there is under different names... Ah anyway... the decision has been made.

A very sad day - closing a forum. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Regg: Apr 20 2011, 05:48 PM

+Quote Post
2007cobalt
post Apr 20 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 23,360

I think that all depends on just how many teenieboppers on facebook actually want to participate in mature discussion about the climate.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the time we had. But I wont be contributing through facebook.

+Quote Post
Dr. Science
post Apr 20 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Apr 20 2011, 02:30 PM) *
This decision is not up for debate.

Jawhol!!!

+Quote Post
wxdude1964
post Apr 21 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,395

QUOTE(2007cobalt @ Apr 20 2011, 07:31 PM) *
I think that all depends on just how many teenieboppers on facebook actually want to participate in mature discussion about the climate.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the time we had. But I wont be contributing through facebook.

Although I quit posting in there a long time ago, I too will be gone....I have zero need for a facebook or other social network account.

--------------------
Snowfall 2007-2008 season-11.4 inches
Snowfall 2008-2009 season-13.1 inches
Snowfall 2009-2010 season-68.6 inches
Snowfall 2010-2011 season-19.5 inches
Snowfall 2011-2012 season-16.5 inches.
Snowfall 2012-2013 season-25.9 inches.
Snowfall 2013-2014 season-41.1 inches.

+Quote Post
vomit
post Apr 21 2011, 08:41 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(Dr. Science @ Apr 20 2011, 11:08 PM) *
Jawhol!!!

laugh.gif

I like this: both "pro" and "con" AGW folks don't want this shut down. So you all CAN agree on something. That's a beautiful thing. I too, have no need for an FB account, so I won't even be able to lurk over there. It was fun while it lasted. I learned a lot from you guys.

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Apr 22 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 20,641

ok; yesterday I could see comments on the blog. Today nothing.
Where did everybody go?
And when I started reading Accu "Climate" was a blog-
then it was a forum
now it's a blog.
dry.gif

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
OriginalMary
post Apr 22 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 24,904

Ok, so when I am going to see over 1 billion comments from Facebook, etc.? Pretty sparse over there plus it kinda works different depending on what link you click. Sometimes there is 1 comment, then there is none, then you can refresh and see the comment again, ......not consistent.

Maybe accuweather is still testing it.

Hopefully though I will have time to read the millions of comments, when it is working.
blink.gif

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 24 2011, 06:34 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,866

This forum is closing...

AGW is not.......

We as human beings are responsible for our daily choices...and only subtle changes in our usage of energy of all types will create a new understanding in the role that humans have as intelligent beings on this planet.

Being the cusp of Earth Day and Easter...let us 'resurrect' our passion for love and humility in our lives.

--------------------
Perception is everything

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there". ~ Lewis Carroll

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving" ~ Lao Tzu

+Quote Post
Alain
post Apr 25 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 22,887

Ok, I'll buy the violin story above and go read comments on the facebook page... err, where? Accuweather's facebook page is a confused jab of 10s of conversation all going at once, without any form of order...

Now, where can I see discussions deriving from the blogs? In other words... where is the linky to lead me there? FB linky only ask for my comments, does not bring me anywhere...

+Quote Post
Dr. Science
post Apr 26 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Alain @ Apr 25 2011, 09:41 PM) *
Ok, I'll buy the violin story above and go read comments on the facebook page... err, where? Accuweather's facebook page is a confused jab of 10s of conversation all going at once, without any form of order...

Now, where can I see discussions deriving from the blogs? In other words... where is the linky to lead me there? FB linky only ask for my comments, does not bring me anywhere...

Well, with articles such as "Paleoclimatologist's Ice Core Studies Reveal Two Facts" asserting such "facts" as "A shift of 100 ppm in CO2 concentrations meant the difference between flowers blooming in the Arctic and ice a mile deep over Chicago," maybe it IS time to blow up the blog...

And no picture of Mt. Kilimanjaro?

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Apr 26 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 22,879

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Apr 20 2011, 08:29 AM) *
We have launched Facebook Comments on our Climate Change Blog and now no longer have a need to have the comments done through the Forums.

AccuWeather wants users of the major social networks (AOL, Facebook, MSN and Yahoo) to be able to participate without having to sign up for these Forums, which is a lengthy and difficult process. This will bring the number of potential commenters on Brett's blog from the 10,000 here to over 1,000,000,000 (1 billion).

As a result, this Subforum will close May 1, 2011 as part of a reduction in Subforums which have low traffic, since most of the traffic was in response to Brett's blog posts, conversations which can take place over on his blog now.

This action is not up for debate.

Perhaps you don't recall that this was a fairly steady forum before you dragged Brett's blog into it? There were new topics, and conversations and interesting debate. Not sure why you guys ever tried to link it to the blog (same thing that happened here happened in the astronomy section, you completely crowded out the private topic posting). Anyway, I realize it's not up for debate, but it's a really stupid idea in my opinion. I know that doesn't matter to you though. You guys would rather have 1,000,000,000 (a billion) people posting random uninformed snippets from their facebook pages than have 30 people who are actually capable of having a rational debate. Have fun moderating the mess...

--------------------
ChsChargers09 - Please be aware that there is a significant chance I was being sarcastic in the above comment. Thank you.

+Quote Post
OriginalMary
post Apr 26 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Alain @ Apr 25 2011, 09:41 PM) *

The way I got there was the way I always have used (well since the last time AW changed their home page)

AW HomePage--->Severe Weather--->Global Warming

And then the topics are all listed, and you can check out the lack/very few social media postings.

Maybe there will be a lot later, billion here, billion there, but I think it may just be a bunch of drive-bys.

+Quote Post
Alain
post Apr 27 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 22,887

QUOTE(OriginalMary @ Apr 26 2011, 04:59 PM) *
The way I got there was the way I always have used (well since the last time AW changed their home page)

AW HomePage--->Severe Weather--->Global Warming

And then the topics are all listed, and you can check out the lack/very few social media postings.

Maybe there will be a lot later, billion here, billion there, but I think it may just be a bunch of drive-bys.

.. knows how to get and read the blogs. Wants to know if there is any organization on the AW FB page where one can find / follow a discussion related to the blogs, like on this forum.

Or... does one has to traverse hundred of fluff to find anything related?

+Quote Post
OriginalMary
post Apr 27 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(Alain @ Apr 27 2011, 09:08 AM) *
.. knows how to get and read the blogs. Wants to know if there is any organization on the AW FB page where one can find / follow a discussion related to the blogs, like on this forum.

Or... does one has to traverse hundred of fluff to find anything related?

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to see all the Facebook, social media etc., comments related to the Global Warming topics. Plus, it looks like you can't get to the old style comments anymore.

The only thing I could find was under Social and Severe Weather but you already know that. I tried going to AW Facebook's page, what a mess.

Maybe the AW people are still working on the organization of the web site, because it doesn't look that organized right now.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 12:46 AM