Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Ads on this site
Beck
post Apr 27 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,931

I am utterly fed up with these ads. I just ignored them for a while, but now a feature seems to have been implemented for the advertisers to enlarge their ads whenever your cursor is close enough to them. The ad expands over aprox. 1/3 of my computer screen, and blocks me from clicking anything else for a few seconds. The ads are trying to make me 'accidentally' click on them whenever I'm trying to navigate from topic to topic.

Please remove this feature.

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 3.94" (+1.00")
Normal to-date precipitation: 2.94"
Season began July 1st, 2014.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 1.23"*
*Beginning December 5th, 2014 (new location, Central Murrieta).

Temecula Weather Pages
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WolfSpider
post Apr 27 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,502

QUOTE(Beck @ Apr 27 2011, 05:52 PM) *
I am utterly fed up with these ads. I just ignored them for a while, but now a feature seems to have been implemented for the advertisers to enlarge their ads whenever your cursor is close enough to them. The ad expands over aprox. 1/3 of my computer screen, and blocks me from clicking anything else for a few seconds. The ads are trying to make me 'accidentally' click on them whenever I'm trying to navigate from topic to topic.

It's annoying but rarely happens to me.

--------------------
My Weather Blog: http://usweather50.com

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Apr 27 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,154

QUOTE(Beck @ Apr 27 2011, 06:52 PM) *

Actually, the ads at the top of the page have been doing this on my screen
for a long time...it does make it a little difficult to find the thing you're looking
for with an ad hanging down in your face. But it happens to me on most
sites that I go to and sometimes a lot more aggressively (sp). It helps to
look at it this way...the site gets paid a little for each time an ad gets
viewed (I think that's how it works), and this is still a free site for us
so that little bit of aggravation isn't so bad considering. rolleyes.gif And besides..
look at it as a challenge...outwit the ads and swing your curser around it...
just another game right? biggrin.gif

--------------------

"If you can't see it from space then it ain't worth doing"

~Christmas light extravaganza devotee
(can also be applied to any serious undertaking
throughout life)

+Quote Post
ConeOfUncertaint...
post Apr 28 2011, 06:53 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,309

Be aware that accuweather.com may or may not have direct control over ads that run on their webpages. In many cases, website administrators cannot control these things.

Website ads across the net have in my opinion been getting much more aggressive and annoying in the last year. Because of that, about a month ago I started using Adblock Plus as a free add-on for the Firefox browser.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

It works great. You can customize it to turn off temporarily or each time you visit a particular webpage. I've not had any problems I could not quickly work around.

Years ago, I had an ad-blocking add-on in Firefox, but it kept causing problems that it made it hard for me to do things such as watch videos or get on secured financial websites, so I removed it and didn't use ad-blocking software again until recently. This version of Ad Blocker Plus is working much better for me.

+Quote Post
futureweatherman...
post May 1 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,447

QUOTE(Beck @ Apr 27 2011, 06:52 PM) *

It helps pay for the site, so it's needed. Just get AdblockPlus or something similar, because they can't just "Remove that feature".

--------------------

QUOTE(SEMIweather @ Oct 17 2010, 02:10 AM) *
i was lclicking on it going pelasejk not nicki minaj m-please not micni minaj hughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 10:27 PM