Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Supernova and black holes, i need some explaination
luckyp
post May 16 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 25,609

OK, so I will never claim to be a pro in the astrophysics department. I know alot of you are way more knowlegable than me so I have to ask something that I have been trying to wrap my head around for about two weeks. ( I almost called the astromomy dept. at the local college to get explaination... stop laughing these are the things that keep me up at night.)

Now to my question... I kow when the core of a star starts making iron it goes supernova and instintaniously combustes. How is it that given Newton's whole object in motion thing does that supernova get sucked back in to becoma a black hole with infinite density? Is it the void left in spacetime that creates a gravitational vaccum which compounds onto itself? Is it a tear in the fabric og space time, or something that I haven't thought of?

Any theorys, opinions, or dialoge would go a long way to helping me get some sleep at night.

P.S. google is not very helpful on the subject, and I am firewalled at work.

Thanks
Lucky
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sagebrusher
post May 23 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,132

QUOTE(luckyp @ May 16 2011, 07:22 PM) *
OK, so I will never claim to be a pro in the astrophysics department. I know alot of you are way more knowlegable than me so I have to ask something that I have been trying to wrap my head around for about two weeks. ( I almost called the astromomy dept. at the local college to get explaination... stop laughing these are the things that keep me up at night.)

Now to my question... I kow when the core of a star starts making iron it goes supernova and instintaniously combustes. How is it that given Newton's whole object in motion thing does that supernova get sucked back in to becoma a black hole with infinite density? Is it the void left in spacetime that creates a gravitational vaccum which compounds onto itself? Is it a tear in the fabric og space time, or something that I haven't thought of?

Any theorys, opinions, or dialoge would go a long way to helping me get some sleep at night.

P.S. google is not very helpful on the subject, and I am firewalled at work.

Thanks
Lucky

I am not sure what your question is, exactly. I do know that combustion is a chemical reaction, not a nuclear one as is typical in stars. You might go check out the Bad Astronomy website forum...lots of scientists hang out there...

www.bautforum.com

+Quote Post
luckyp
post May 23 2011, 08:21 PM
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 25,609

QUOTE(Sagebrusher @ May 23 2011, 05:29 PM) *
I am not sure what your question is, exactly. I do know that combustion is a chemical reaction, not a nuclear one as is typical in stars. You might go check out the Bad Astronomy website forum...lots of scientists hang out there...

www.bautforum.com

Thanks for the tip. I guess to clarify how is it that you can have such a massive explosion (outward force/ supernova) and then create something with infinate density (implosion/black hole)
thanks
lucky

+Quote Post
Sagebrusher
post May 24 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,132

QUOTE(luckyp @ May 23 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Thanks for the tip. I guess to clarify how is it that you can have such a massive explosion (outward force/ supernova) and then create something with infinate density (implosion/black hole)
thanks
lucky

My understanding is that the explosion is really just a secondary effect of the gravitational COLLAPSE of the star. These stars are so massive that when their nuclear materials run low they can no longer keep from collapsing inwards, their gravity overcomes the outward pressure of the nuclear reactions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_II_supernova

Edit: just noticed someone has a related question over at Bad Astronomy...

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/11...-compressing-it

This post has been edited by Sagebrusher: May 24 2011, 03:44 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 01:50 PM