Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Hunting Thread, Your experiences/tactics/traditions
drummer182
post Jun 14 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,327

So I don't think there is a thread for this yet. I know there are some hunters in here and with turkey season and deer season coming up in the months to come, I figured why not give it shot (how's that for playing on words haha). I hope this is legal under the T&C. Mods, let me know. I'm guessing if we stay away from the firearms portion, we could avoid violating T&C's.

So I typically only hunt deer at my grandparents. I usually use groundhogs for target practice haha. We have a tree stand we built next to this acre of corn we plant specifically for deer season.

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 14 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #2

mods please delete one of these topics. The screen froze while posting the first one so i clicked "post" again and it posted twice. k thx bai. smile.gif

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
luckyp
post Jun 14 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 25,609

so I hunt deer about 8 miles from the Canadian border in Northern MN. I havea circle trail about 6 miles long with about 10 stands around it. In the middle there is a nice place for a food plot, but it's the trail is boat access only. Any advice on what plot crop i can grow that will be low upkeep? I thought clover but i'm still deciding.

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 14 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(luckyp @ Jun 14 2011, 09:06 AM) *
so I hunt deer about 8 miles from the Canadian border in Northern MN. I havea circle trail about 6 miles long with about 10 stands around it. In the middle there is a nice place for a food plot, but it's the trail is boat access only. Any advice on what plot crop i can grow that will be low upkeep? I thought clover but i'm still deciding.

clover should be great. corn has worked fail-proof for years for my family and I. we don't use any fertilizer or anything since it's not grown for feed. So it's relatively easy to keep up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 14 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKXr-xy-Ww >me shooting my "groundhog gun"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUKLSoF9zQ > overview of it

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jun 14 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,287

Well I "hunt" whitetail at a friends camp. Mostly an excuse to get out of the house for a few days in the fall. I had some nice bucks on my trail cam last fall....and as soon as hunting season rolled around, they were gone. I also walk through the woods during grouse season...mostly because I like walking through the woods in the fall... laugh.gif

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 15 2011, 07:45 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(vomit @ Jun 14 2011, 11:07 PM) *
Well I "hunt" whitetail at a friends camp. Mostly an excuse to get out of the house for a few days in the fall. I had some nice bucks on my trail cam last fall....and as soon as hunting season rolled around, they were gone. I also walk through the woods during grouse season...mostly because I like walking through the woods in the fall... laugh.gif

Haha I like your "hunting." I agree with the walking in the woods in the fall. Autumn is my favorite time of year. I wish they would make hunting with a rifle legal in Ohio. It's legal in Pennsylvania, but I'm not over there too often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jun 15 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,148

QUOTE(vomit @ Jun 14 2011, 11:07 PM) *

If your going hunting just to kill an animal, your missing out on the experience.

Sounds like you are not missing out. cool.gif

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jun 16 2011, 05:31 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jun 15 2011, 08:23 PM) *
If your going hunting just to kill an animal, your missing out on the experience.

Sounds like you are not missing out. cool.gif

Exactly. And since my immediate family really does not care for wildgame, if I do end up shooting something, I have to clean it, and get it to people that do eat it (I enjoy it, if it's done right).

But my ideal time is a crisp October day at camp, frost in the morning, high upper 50s/low 60s, walking/4-wheeling through the woods/ and a nice fire at night. All animal sightings are a bonus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 16 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(vomit @ Jun 16 2011, 04:31 AM) *
Exactly. And since my immediate family really does not care for wildgame, if I do end up shooting something, I have to clean it, and get it to people that do eat it (I enjoy it, if it's done right).

But my ideal time is a crisp October day at camp, frost in the morning, high upper 50s/low 60s, walking/4-wheeling through the woods/ and a nice fire at night. All animal sightings are a bonus.

Ahh touche sir. Couldn't agree more. I also love waking up super early and going deer hunting. Walking through the crunching snow and digging out a hole next to a tree and just waiting and enjoying the scenery.

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,542

When hunting deer (whitetail), what caliber do y'all use most often?

Me? 7mm mag.

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Jun 16 2011, 08:23 AM) *
Ahh touche sir. Couldn't agree more. I also love waking up super early and going deer hunting. Walking through the crunching snow and digging out a hole next to a tree and just waiting and enjoying the scenery.

Normally we hunt out of a blind. Usually watching a feeder or a road/trail/clearing that has been baited...

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jun 16 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 16,148

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 16 2011, 10:33 AM) *
When hunting deer (whitetail), what caliber do y'all use most often?

Me? 7mm mag.

7mm .08

I may start using my dad's 30.06 since he is now using his dads 30.06

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jun 16 2011, 10:33 AM) *
7mm .08

I may start using my dad's 30.06 since he is now using his dads 30.06

Thats what my dad used as well.

Enfield, 1917 sporterized. I love that guns Mauser action. We won it in a card game playing poker way back in the day.
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield
2. It looks similar to this:
Sporterized Enfield.

--------------------

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 16 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 16 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Thats what my dad used as well.

Enfield, 1917 sporterized. I love that guns Mauser action. We won it in a card game playing poker way back in the day.
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield
2. It looks similar to this:
Sporterized Enfield.

I have to use a shotgun, rifle is illegal here in Ohio, even though we have an OVER ABUNDANCE of deer. And I don't bow or muzzleloader hunt.

That's awesome you have a sporterized Enfield. I had a sporterized Mosin M44. I loved it but I wanted more of a sniper rifle so I just bought a Savage .308. You guys think I'll get in trouble for posting pics of them??

--------------------

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 16 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 16 2011, 09:34 AM) *
Normally we hunt out of a blind. Usually watching a feeder or a road/trail/clearing that has been baited...

Hey, it works haha. I should invest in a blind. Do they work well?

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Jun 16 2011, 11:32 AM) *
I have to use a shotgun, rifle is illegal here in Ohio, even though we have an OVER ABUNDANCE of deer. And I don't bow or muzzleloader hunt.

That's awesome you have a sporterized Enfield. I had a sporterized Mosin M44. I loved it but I wanted more of a sniper rifle so I just bought a Savage .308. You guys think I'll get in trouble for posting pics of them??

I dont know, just was being careful.
I have a Savage .270. It is a nice shooting if plain in appearance rifle.

Bummer...no rifles. You have my sympathies. But you also have my envy that you still get to hunt. We have all been too busy lately it seems to get out into the woods.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jun 16 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #18

I use a Browning 30-06, with a 3.5-10x Leupold scope. 180 grain Remington rounds. You have to have a blind.....easier to get to sleep in...... laugh.gif

Here's one of the dandies who was flaunting himself last year, and disappeared the day before deer season opened!!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Jun 16 2011, 11:34 AM) *
Hey, it works haha. I should invest in a blind. Do they work well?

I like them. We have used many different kinds of the years from the elevated box blinds to the boxes on the ground. From a simple tree stand to just a piece of plywood on the ground with a shotgun blast provided looking hole. I have also used the easily transportable fabric blinds. They are good because you can carry them about anywhere and just hang the "curtain" from a tree limb or such and POOF you have a blind. Sit on a bucket and use some shooting sticks for stabilization. They are also good because you can move them often to "where the deer are".

I much prefer "blind" hunting to "still" hunting.
(still hunting = walking softly and slowly and looking)

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(vomit @ Jun 16 2011, 12:18 PM) *
I use a Browning 30-06, with a 3.5-10x Leupold scope. 180 grain Remington rounds. You have to have a blind.....easier to get to sleep in...... laugh.gif

Here's one of the dandies who was flaunting himself last year, and disappeared the day before deer season opened!!

Attached Image

AWESOME! I love trail camera shots!

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 11:12 AM