Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Hunting Thread, Your experiences/tactics/traditions
vomit
post Jun 16 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 16 2011, 01:24 PM) *
AWESOME! I love trail camera shots!

Here's another one from last year. Another 8 pointer, but not the same one as above; he, too was MIA during hunting season.... ohmy.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 14,542

*click-Click* BOOM!
Attached Image

MMmmmmmm...Deer meat. smile.gif

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jun 16 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,678

Let me tell you how my dad hunts: he goes out until he gets cold/hungry/bored, and then heads back into town to get a hotel room. Then he goes back out the next day and does it again. He rarely comes home with anything.

That's basically the way I camp.

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jun 16 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Let me tell you how my dad hunts: he goes out until he gets cold/hungry/bored, and then heads back into town to get a hotel room. Then he goes back out the next day and does it again. He rarely comes home with anything.

That's basically the way I camp.

A cold/hungry/bored day hunting is better than a day not hunting.

Now camping? I am usually so worn out after a day camping that I pass smooth out come sleep time. What with all the biking, hiking, laughing, eating and fun we have. Camping is AWESOME!

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 16 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,327

Loving the pics vomit! I'll upload pics when I get home. I'll just take them off if they don't like it. This is all for hunting though so I hope it's cool.

The blind hunting sounds a lot easier haha. I kind of like the whole "stalking" aspect of hunting. I think I'll try the blind method this winter. I have to find a good cheap shotgun though. Any suggestions? It has to have a rifled barrel (obviously for slug). I prefer a black synthetic stock to wood.

Also I prefer 20 gauge to 12. I know it's easier to take down a deer with a 12 gauge. If I have to, I'll bite the bullet (or slug haha) and get a 12.

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #26

Good/cheap shotgun:
1. Mossberg maverick 88 with a 28" barell for about 140 bucks.
2. Mossberg 500 is better; its basicly the suped up version of the mossberg 88
3. Stoeger 2000 (poor man's benelli)

Note: a smooth-bore shooting a slug is not too shabby and many people swear by them.

Blind hunting is warmer, more comfortable, easier to move and/or eat/or read...walking and hunting (still hunting) is a art and to be respected. But it is not my cup of tea.

Please bite the bullet and consider a 12 gauge. Yes it will kick more and it is heavier but you will up your odds of laying that deer down when you shoot it with a 12.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jun 16 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Jun 16 2011, 04:52 PM) *
Loving the pics vomit! I'll upload pics when I get home. I'll just take them off if they don't like it. This is all for hunting though so I hope it's cool.

The blind hunting sounds a lot easier haha. I kind of like the whole "stalking" aspect of hunting. I think I'll try the blind method this winter. I have to find a good cheap shotgun though. Any suggestions? It has to have a rifled barrel (obviously for slug). I prefer a black synthetic stock to wood.

Also I prefer 20 gauge to 12. I know it's easier to take down a deer with a 12 gauge. If I have to, I'll bite the bullet (or slug haha) and get a 12.

Glad you like. I would do the 12 gauge for sure.....here's a couple more pix from last season:
Attached Image

Attached Image
[

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #28

Great pics! Got any trophy pictures?

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jun 16 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 16 2011, 06:27 PM) *
Great pics! Got any trophy pictures?

laugh.gif That would imply I am a "serious" hunter!! I just enjoy camp, and being in the woods in the fall. Where I hunt, big deer are pretty scarce. Back in the 50s (and earlier) there was a LOT of big bucks (10+ points) in the area. Those days are gone! sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 16 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #30

My old M44 (Russian Mosin Nagant)
Attached Image

My new "ground hog" rifle (Savage .308, Sightmark 3-9x40mm scope, bipod, scope caps, ammo sleeve and sling.
Attached Image

Gorgeous right?
Attached Image

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 16 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(vomit @ Jun 16 2011, 05:25 PM) *
laugh.gif That would imply I am a "serious" hunter!! I just enjoy camp, and being in the woods in the fall. Where I hunt, big deer are pretty scarce. Back in the 50s (and earlier) there was a LOT of big bucks (10+ points) in the area. Those days are gone! sad.gif

Come up to OH-IO we have plenty of big bucks! Don't bring your rifle though haha.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jun 17 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 16,148

Keep the trail cam pics comin. biggrin.gif

By most of the convo, I would assume every bodies favorite type of hunting is deer?

I will go on record and say my favorite type is in fact not deer ,but turkey.

If anybody has not tried turkeys, I enthusiastically encourage that you give it a try. Hunting during the mating season (if the state allows it) has to be the most fun you can have in the woods. Locating a vocal tom and coaxing him within gun range is an awesome experience. Not only that but if you hit up some lonely hens, they can be just as much fun communicating with.

For example, I was walking a trail this past spring and had some hen yelps back to my locator call. So I sat and let out some feeder yelps back. Within a minute here came this hen out of the brush looking for her feeding buddy. I went to the pot and peg call to minimize moment (I'm no good with those diaphram calls). She passed with 8 ft of me, clucking and yelping the whole way. Got close enough that when she cam out of some shade, I could see her pupils dilate when the sunlight hit them.

Didn't register a kill this year (in fact hardly any gobbling due to the wet weather) but that was one of the more fun experiences this yr.

Also for those wary of adorning camo and making the same noises as the birds you are hunting, due to increased education by the game commissions, accidents have been dramatically cut in the past years. In fact our state just abolished the blaze orange while moving rule. Although I carry the vest in my backpack if I do shoot one. Don't want to be carrying it out and get popped.

This post has been edited by hckyplayer8: Jun 17 2011, 08:10 AM

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jun 17 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 20,641

My only in put is that I once went dove hunting with my dad when about 11 yrs. old. I soon discovered I was the bird dog.
Any how-
should this thread be in the sports section?

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 17 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jun 17 2011, 08:10 AM) *
Keep the trail cam pics comin. biggrin.gif

By most of the convo, I would assume every bodies favorite type of hunting is deer?

I will go on record and say my favorite type is in fact not deer ,but turkey.

If anybody has not tried turkeys, I enthusiastically encourage that you give it a try. Hunting during the mating season (if the state allows it) has to be the most fun you can have in the woods. Locating a vocal tom and coaxing him within gun range is an awesome experience. Not only that but if you hit up some lonely hens, they can be just as much fun communicating with.

For example, I was walking a trail this past spring and had some hen yelps back to my locator call. So I sat and let out some feeder yelps back. Within a minute here came this hen out of the brush looking for her feeding buddy. I went to the pot and peg call to minimize moment (I'm no good with those diaphram calls). She passed with 8 ft of me, clucking and yelping the whole way. Got close enough that when she cam out of some shade, I could see her pupils dilate when the sunlight hit them.

Didn't register a kill this year (in fact hardly any gobbling due to the wet weather) but that was one of the more fun experiences this yr.

Also for those wary of adorning camo and making the same noises as the birds you are hunting, due to increased education by the game commissions, accidents have been dramatically cut in the past years. In fact our state just abolished the blaze orange while moving rule. Although I carry the vest in my backpack if I do shoot one. Don't want to be carrying it out and get popped.

That was an AWESOME post. I could just see the hen in my minds eye. THANK YOU!

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 17 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jun 17 2011, 08:19 AM) *
My only in put is that I once went dove hunting with my dad when about 11 yrs. old. I soon discovered I was the bird dog.
Any how-
should this thread be in the sports section?

1. Being with my dad: i would chase birds, all the birds you want if i could spend one more day hunting with him.
2. Sports section? I hope not. Not like any of us here are on a hunting "team" or playing any kind of ball.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jun 17 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 20,641

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 17 2011, 10:29 AM) *
1. Being with my dad: i would chase birds, all the birds you want if i could spend one more day hunting with him.
2. Sports section? I hope not. Not like any of us here are on a hunting "team" or playing any kind of ball.

yeah; I was 13 when my dad died.

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 17 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jun 17 2011, 09:47 AM) *
yeah; I was 13 when my dad died.

I am sorry for your loss; Especially at such an early age.

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 17 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #38

Attached Image

Thats me and my dad on the right.

Attached Image

My dad with the first and second bucks i ever shot; i got them both in the same morning back to back.

Attached Image

Dad with a real nice 8 point he shot down in Cotulla, Tx. He had that deer mounted and received compliments on him for years and years. That was a really nice buck. (Notice the sporterized 30.06 Enfield)

Let me see some of y'all trophy's and i will post a few more of ours.

This post has been edited by raughammer: Jun 17 2011, 11:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jun 17 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 18,678

If hunting within city limits was legal, I could invite everyone who hunts over! You wouldn't even have to leave my deck. We have deer in our parking area often. Last night there was a medium sized 6 or 8 point next to my mom's car when she was dropping off Lil NF. We've also had bear, fox, and this week- coyotes.

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jun 17 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 16,148

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 17 2011, 09:28 AM) *
That was an AWESOME post. I could just see the hen in my minds eye. THANK YOU!

Let me just say the posting does not do the real thing justice. But thank you.

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 17 2011, 10:57 AM) *

Attached Image

Thats me and my dad on the right.

Attached Image

My dad with the first and second bucks i ever shot; i got them both in the same morning back to back.

Attached Image

Dad with a real nice 8 point he shot down in Cotulla, Tx. He had that deer mounted and received compliments on him for years and years. That was a really nice buck. (Notice the sporterized 30.06 Enfield)
Let me see some of y'all trophy's and i will post a few more of ours.

SWEET Old time photographs. Back in the good ole days. cool.gif

Thus far in my life I have but one regret and that I was not born earlier. I would have fit in so well.

I know older folks like to spell the whole "back in my day we had to walk to school (uphill both ways) and we didn't have TV, we had the radio..." and so on and so forth, but believe me; if I could trade all those things to be back when the earth wasn't overpopulated and destroyed by man, I would.

I belong to a deer camp, who keep a camp journal...reading the logs from the 30's and 40's to today is like night and day.

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 10:14 PM