Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Hunting Thread, Your experiences/tactics/traditions
hckyplayer8
post Jun 17 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #41

Group: Member
Member No.: 16,148

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jun 17 2011, 11:25 AM) *
If hunting within city limits was legal, I could invite everyone who hunts over! You wouldn't even have to leave my deck. We have deer in our parking area often. Last night there was a medium sized 6 or 8 point next to my mom's car when she was dropping off Lil NF. We've also had bear, fox, and this week- coyotes.

Will. E Coyote

They are getting bad in general. Killing off whats left of the deer herd and the farmers livestock.

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 17 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 14,542

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jun 17 2011, 11:57 AM) *
L

I belong to a deer camp, who keep a camp journal...reading the logs from the 30's and 40's to today is like night and day.

Now that would a great read; I bet that journal is chock full of some awesome stories.

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jun 17 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 17 2011, 12:00 PM) *
Now that would a great read; I bet that journal is chock full of some awesome stories.

Its incredible. Rich with tradition, success, and failure. Always full of laughs.

People who want to destroy our hobby do not understand the roots of it.

This post has been edited by hckyplayer8: Jun 17 2011, 12:16 PM

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jun 17 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 18,678

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jun 17 2011, 10:58 AM) *
Will. E Coyote

They are getting bad in general. Killing off whats left of the deer herd and the farmers livestock.

My grandpa is a cattle rancher- we are not fans of the coyote!

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jun 17 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 19,327

Awesome pics raugh! Those look like some great times. Maybe they'll let us hunt with rifles one day up here. That'd be great. I also agree, keep the trail pics coming! I'm goin up to Fredericktown to my grandparents to sight in my rifle tomorrow. Maybe pick off a few groundhogs smile.gif

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 17 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Jun 17 2011, 01:27 PM) *
Awesome pics raugh! Those look like some great times. Maybe they'll let us hunt with rifles one day up here. That'd be great. I also agree, keep the trail pics coming! I'm goin up to Fredericktown to my grandparents to sight in my rifle tomorrow. Maybe pick off a few groundhogs smile.gif

Good luck with the groundhogs!

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
Beck
post Jun 18 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jun 17 2011, 10:07 AM) *
Its incredible. Rich with tradition, success, and failure. Always full of laughs.

People who want to destroy our hobby do not understand the roots of it.

So tell me then, what are the roots of this "hobby"?

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.88" (-1.00")
Normal to-date precipitation: 1.88"
Season began July 1st, 2014.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 1.22"

Temecula Weather Pages

+Quote Post
belle de mer
post Jun 18 2011, 03:20 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 24,667

QUOTE(Beck @ Jun 17 2011, 10:44 PM) *

The roots of this hobby date back to Nimrod, who was the first man to kill for sport.

--------------------

Be careful what you wish for , because you just might get it

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jun 18 2011, 05:28 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(Beck @ Jun 18 2011, 01:44 AM) *

People have been killing animals for food, I suspect, as long as there has been humans.

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
Beck
post Jun 18 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #50

QUOTE(vomit @ Jun 18 2011, 03:28 AM) *
People have been killing animals for food, I suspect, as long as there has been humans.

Because we depended on that for your survival - there was no alternative until agriculture came long. But now, in the year 2011, do we depend on this activity for our survival now?

--------------------

Temecula Weather Pages

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jun 18 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 22,154

QUOTE(Beck @ Jun 18 2011, 08:29 AM) *
Because we depended on that for your survival - there was no alternative until agriculture came long. But now, in the year 2011, do we depend on this activity for our survival now?

Becks....let's let the hunters hunt and let the players play... wink.gif . There'll be no
mind changing here. It's a subject that has no middle ground I don't believe.
It's always gonna bother you to be here so to keep from seeing pics and
stuff...let's us go play and you can ban me for dropping by here to begin
with! smile.gif When you're here you're not "over there" and I miss my PB sad.gif .

--------------------

Being there for a friend is one of the greatest gifts you can give.
Another one is allowing them to be there for you too.

~Doe Zantamata

+Quote Post
Beck
post Jun 18 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Jun 18 2011, 06:00 AM) *
Becks....let's let the hunters hunt and let the players play... wink.gif . There'll be no
mind changing here. It's a subject that has no middle ground I don't believe.
It's always gonna bother you to be here so to keep from seeing pics and
stuff...let's us go play and you can ban me for dropping by here to begin
with! smile.gif When you're here you're not "over there" and I miss my PB sad.gif .

I tried to ignore this thread for a long while but too many people have discovered it and are psoting in it - and I feel now that I've just got to say something. I want my views to be known, whether they agree or not (which I'm sure they don't). They have a right to their opinions and I sure have a right to mine.

--------------------

Temecula Weather Pages

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jun 18 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(Beck @ Jun 18 2011, 08:11 AM) *
I tried to ignore this thread for a long while but too many people have discovered it and are psoting in it - and I feel now that I've just got to say something. I want my views to be known, whether they agree or not (which I'm sure they don't). They have a right to their opinions and I sure have a right to mine.

Then may I suggest making an anti hunting thread so the whole 2 or 3 people who adorn the critters of life can post there? I promise us "uncivilized people" will stay out of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Beck
post Jun 18 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jun 18 2011, 12:02 PM) *
Then may I suggest making an anti hunting thread so the whole 2 or 3 people who adorn the critters of life can post there? I promise us "uncivilized people" will stay out of it.

Not necessary.

And I never called over even implied that any of you were uncivilized in any way. This is a thread discussing the activity of hunting, and so I discussed my views on hunting. But there sure as heck are a lot more than 2 or 3 people with views similar to mine (i.e. Greenpeace, The Nature Conservancy, PETA, Local Authority, State Laws & Regulations, The US Department of Fish & Game, etc).

--------------------

Temecula Weather Pages

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jun 18 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(Beck @ Jun 18 2011, 05:56 PM) *
Not necessary.

And I never called over even implied that any of you were uncivilized in any way. This is a thread discussing the activity of hunting, and so I discussed my views on hunting. But there sure as heck are a lot more than 2 or 3 people with views similar to mine (i.e. Greenpeace, The Nature Conservancy, PETA, Local Authority, State Laws & Regulations, The US Department of Fish & Game, etc).

Hi Beck!

I am a proponent of hunting (for food & animal control)...I am not a proponent of killing for the sake of killing....especially "trophy" hunting (zebras & such)....I can understand where you are coming from. this is a free forum, and feel free to express your opinions. Hopefully you can understand where I am coming from. Have a good night all! laugh.gif

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 18 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #56

More old school hunting pics.

Attached Image

Dad and nice South Texas buck right before the buck became sausage and deer nuggets. smile.gif

Attached Image

Dad and a East Texas buck. He was the only one to get a buck that trip and his brother (my uncle) perhaps with a little jealously eating at him told dad that he "didn't shoot that buck right". Man we joked all the way home about it and for years afterward when ever you would do something and someone would criticize it we would joke: "You know, you didn't shoot that deer right" and all of us would and do bust out laughing. Ah, hunting stories. That same trip i was hunting a small clearing looking out of a box stand and all of a sudden i see this big old owl swoop down on the other side of the clearing and turn towards the box stand. I was like "wow, check out that big ol' owl". And that owl leveled out and was making a beeline straight at the stand. I was sitting there admiring the owls beauty when i realized something. That dang owl was heading right for the stand because he was gonna roost up in there. Even though i had been trying to sit as still as i could and to not make any noise i sure didn't want the big ol' long taloned beast sharing that little box stand with me. I started waving my arms about and what not and at the last minute the owl veered off. "whew" That was a close call but just another of the myriad of cool things have happened in the woods while hunting.

Attached Image

Dad posing with a nice South Texas buck I shot right outside of Whitset, Texas. My Remington 7mm Magnum Stainless Stalker can be seen in the back ground.

Attached Image

Before the season we set up this stand. That's dad and muh' brother setting up a ground blind. We didn't have any real wood working tools to cut a hole in the wood so we would have something to look through so I used the 12 gauge to blow out a look out hole in the wood. Rob (My brother) is holding the 12 gauge and wearing a rebel cap in the back. Oh man the memories are rich and the good times many that we have/had on that lease.

Ok, thats all the pics i had in my "dad" file from his funeral slide show. Y'all post up some pics so i can ooo-ahhh too. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Beck
post Jun 18 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(vomit @ Jun 18 2011, 03:59 PM) *
Hi Beck!

I am a proponent of hunting (for food & animal control)...I am not a proponent of killing for the sake of killing....especially "trophy" hunting (zebras & such)....I can understand where you are coming from. this is a free forum, and feel free to express your opinions. Hopefully you can understand where I am coming from. Have a good night all! laugh.gif

While I disagree with the first part, I do see where you're coming from and I understand & respect your views. And thanks for promoting free thought and understanding my views as well. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here, I just wanted to voice my concerns on the subject matter and input the information that we have members here (such as myself) that get a wee bit queezy when seeing topics like this. smile.gif

--------------------

Temecula Weather Pages

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jun 19 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #58

First Wild Turkey Harvest. From '10

Attached Image

Attached Image

Obviously very rainy so the feathers and beard were a mess. Had a 8" beard on it. Walked 3.71 miles (google earth confirmed) one way to find it. After navigating multiple hollows and not seeing any sign or hearing any calls, this guy gobbled right away to the locator. I heard him fly down out of the roost (its about 9am now and hes still up there because of the rain), and hit the forest floor so I dropped prone. A few more soft clucks and he came right up out of the hollow to my waiting 20 gauge.

Dropped in one shot...though the incline was so step that he began rolling back down and I got excited and added an insurance shot laugh.gif

Very loud victory yell after got my hands on him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aaastinkie
post Jun 19 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 14,053

QUOTE(raughammer @ Jun 16 2011, 11:33 AM) *
When hunting deer (whitetail), what caliber do y'all use most often?

Me? 7mm mag.

243 win.

--------------------
" it don't get no better than this "

If you like snow so much come shovel me out!!

+Quote Post
aaastinkie
post Jun 19 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 14,053

At 58 years old I shot my first deer this year, I didn't enjoy killing the deer but my wife loves venison, so I'm now a hunter, my friend let my sit in his blind, took 4 hours to get a deer, had a doe permit, his wife came out and gutted it for me.... wink.gif rolleyes.gif

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/...39/mylittledeer
http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/...37/mylittledeer
http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/...38/mylittledeer
Man I love deer liver!! ohmy.gif

--------------------
" it don't get no better than this "

If you like snow so much come shovel me out!!

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 08:25 AM