Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock Picks, I need a score...
aaastinkie
post Aug 30 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,053

I'm moving some $$ into a Roth IRA in a trading account, need some hot picks.... wink.gif

--------------------
" it don't get no better than this "

If you like snow so much come shovel me out!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
harum-scarum
post Aug 30 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,048

QUOTE(aaastinkie @ Aug 30 2011, 10:27 AM) *
I'm moving some $$ into a Roth IRA in a trading account, need some hot picks.... wink.gif

That's the kinda work the lady I work for does.

--------------------
"Curiouser and curiouser!"
Kiss me baby I am SnowWhite sleeping in a coffin, waiting for you.
Here I am a rabbit hearted girl.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Don't Panic

+Quote Post
Death Magnetic
post Aug 30 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,758

QUOTE(aaastinkie @ Aug 30 2011, 12:27 PM) *

Long term? Short? Screw the trading acct .. Buy direct

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Aug 31 2011, 03:13 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,204

Buy low.

Sell High!

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
Maw
post Aug 31 2011, 07:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,971

Stink, Paw has done extremely well buying and selling directly using Scott Trade. He said that Bank of America is what he is predicting to be a money maker. It was at $6 and has shot up to $8.50. Paw anticipates it going even higher, as does some analysts.

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
Beck
post Aug 31 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,931

I'll never understand how any of this works....seems like total chaos over money....

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.45" (-0.33")
Normal to-date precipitation: 0.78"
Season began July 1st, 2014.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.81"

Temecula Weather Pages

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Sep 13 2014, 04:20 PM) *
You're cute when you're whining Becky :)

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Aug 31 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,879

QUOTE(Maw @ Aug 31 2011, 08:32 AM) *
Stink, Paw has done extremely well buying and selling directly using Scott Trade. He said that Bank of America is what he is predicting to be a money maker. It was at $6 and has shot up to $8.50. Paw anticipates it going even higher, as does some analysts.

I'd be very careful with BAC (Bank of 'Merica) personally. That stock was hit abnormally hard during the stretch of terrible days early this month and at times it appears it was intentionally being driven down for reasons independent of it's financial merit as a stock pick. Rumors were fast and heavy and I think there was truth to them. It's also worth noting that the stock had been on a stready decline from early this year up until that point as well. It's just not a very good company. The balance sheet is messy, there are questions about whether they need to recapitalize and their CEO is not very convincing. The mergers they made during the financial crisis over the last couple years were questionable then and still so now. Yes it is probably an undervalued stock at this point, as is most of the financial sector. So, if we can sustain a bit of a rally over the next couple months (which I think is unlikely) it might be worth investing in the sector as a whole. However, if the market takes another sharp turn down, financials will again probably be the leader in the decline. If I were making a hypothetical recommendation to a hypothetical client I would tell them to stay away from financials. There is a likely return on the investment but I think the risk is high and possibly high because of forces other than the fact that the companies are not particularly good...

Personally I like some of the industrials. Look at CAT, BA, DD or FCX for example. All are 10-20% off their values two months ago and all are on the way back up. I think that we should see them come close to retouching those sometime in the coming couple months. Because of what's happening in the treasury/bond markets I think stocks are a good thing to own. So, even if econ data continues to be attrocious (and it will) I think the market may continue to rise a little over the next few weeks. I don't expect any major rallies or climbs towards the years highs, but a rise in stock prices is likely.

Tech stocks and financials are messy and I wouldn't touch them. At least not now. If you expect a big rally you might consider some mutual funds that are heavy on financials but I wouldn't particularly care to own any single one of them. Solid companies that had a heavy drop in the last month are probably pretty good bets right now though.

*I am not a licensed financial advisor of any sort so take this as nothing more than a layman's view

--------------------
ChsChargers09 - Please be aware that there is a significant chance I was being sarcastic in the above comment. Thank you.

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Aug 31 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Beck @ Aug 31 2011, 11:17 AM) *
I'll never understand how any of this works....seems like total chaos over money....

It's no different than loaning your money out and expecting an interest rate in return (what you do when you deposit money in a bank...). It's riskier and the return is possibly far higher which is what makes it attractive. Ultimately (though no longer directly) you are loaning your money to a company in exchange for a stake in its management (in the form of a stock certificate) and the expectation that you'll earn a return on that money. In some cases the company will even pay you a dividend for each share of stock you own.

I'd recommend trying to understand it at some point. It'll help you out in life. Retirement accounts are invested in stocks (among other things) and I'd imagine at some point you'll set up some sort of tax deferred account for retirement.

Being a day-trader in stocks is almost obsolete at this point, high frequency trading (computerized) has made daily trading almost too volatile. But, buying and holding stocks is an art and one that is really not that risky if you know what to look for. Picking individual stocks that you think might rise over a month or two is similarly an art. Slightly more risky but also with greater potential for large and immediate returns.

This post has been edited by CMeyers: Aug 31 2011, 01:06 PM

--------------------
ChsChargers09 - Please be aware that there is a significant chance I was being sarcastic in the above comment. Thank you.

+Quote Post
Maw
post Aug 31 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Beck @ Aug 31 2011, 11:17 AM) *

Ya got that right! Some folks are just real good at organizing that chaos and making some pretty nice $ after they sort it all out. I'm not one of those folks, but it's really cool to see one in action. But believe me, he sweats alot in the midst of it.

CM: Only time will tell with Bank of America. I've learned not to doubt the Paw. wink.gif

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Aug 31 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Maw @ Aug 31 2011, 02:19 PM) *
Ya got that right! Some folks are just real good at organizing that chaos and making some pretty nice $ after they sort it all out. I'm not one of those folks, but it's really cool to see one in action. But believe me, he sweats alot in the midst of it.

CM: Only time will tell with Bank of America. I've learned not to doubt the Paw. wink.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% jump in the next month before it gets back to roughly where it was and then continues to steadily decline with all the other bank stocks. There is potential for a nice, quick return. But, I just don't like the fact that the stock behaves bizarrely because it means that something other than rational valuation is going on. Always dangerous. That's half the beauty of the market though, some people are willing to take higher risk for the potential of higher return.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Aug 31 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Maw @ Aug 31 2011, 08:32 AM) *

If you follow where Warren Buffet puts his Billions in play, you will rarely go far wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maw
post Sep 1 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(CMeyers @ Aug 31 2011, 02:47 PM) *
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% jump in the next month before it gets back to roughly where it was and then continues to steadily decline with all the other bank stocks. There is potential for a nice, quick return. But, I just don't like the fact that the stock behaves bizarrely because it means that something other than rational valuation is going on. Always dangerous. That's half the beauty of the market though, some people are willing to take higher risk for the potential of higher return.

It would be silly to just buy the stock and not have a plan to sell once it reaches a certain price. You can't just buy it and watch to see what it will do without being ready to sell once it reaches a certain point, or falls below a certain point. If you buy at $8.50, don't let it get down to $8.25 before you sell it. Have a plan to sell it at $9.25. If you bought only 1000 shares, you'd make a quick $750, and that's not even a 10% jump in the stock. If one would have bought 1000 shares of Bank of America when it was at $6 and sold it today, they would have an extra $2500 in their pocket. Not too shabby.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Sep 1 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Maw @ Sep 1 2011, 09:57 AM) *
It would be silly to just buy the stock and not have a plan to sell once it reaches a certain price. You can't just buy it and watch to see what it will do without being ready to sell once it reaches a certain point, or falls below a certain point. If you buy at $8.50, don't let it get down to $8.25 before you sell it. Have a plan to sell it at $9.25. If you bought only 1000 shares, you'd make a quick $750, and that's not even a 10% jump in the stock. If one would have bought 1000 shares of Bank of America when it was at $6 and sold it today, they would have an extra $2500 in their pocket. Not too shabby.

Absolutely true. But, you have to expect that it will reach that certain point with some amount of confidence. I wouldn't have bought BAC at $6 even though I honestly believed it was on it's way up. The company was still being toyed with by the gov and working with a horrific balance sheet. It was obviously oversold but there was also a non-zero chance that it was going to collapse.

BAC dropped 18% in the span of about an hour on a day in early august. It went from roughly 9.00 down to 7.40 before you could blink. It was unexpected, drastic and reeked of something being not-quite-right. If you had bought it at 8.50 with the plan of "don't let it get down to 8.25" you'd have been burned big-time. Unless you have the luxury of being able to trade stocks all day or if you're playing with options and stops. Something that volatile that moves seemingly without purpose and doesn't really have anything going for it other than that it appears to be undervalued just doesn't strike me as a good buy. I wish you luck with it though.

As you obviously know it comes down to picking a time-scale, a desired return and determining the likelihood of that return.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Sep 4 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #14

If you live and die on the gyrations of the Market in general or a specific stock - you will die of heart failure. Especially with the market and the economy in the conditions they are a present.

As a little guy, you will never be a Market Maker and you are at the mercey of the big money the Market Maker types (Bufet etc.) put in play or take out of the game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aaastinkie
post Sep 18 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #15

I'm suppossed to close on my house I sold in two weeks, going to be flush with cash, might have to call this "PAW" guy..... rolleyes.gif
Think I'll be dropping a dime on Raughhammer also.... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maw
post Sep 19 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(aaastinkie @ Sep 19 2011, 12:18 AM) *
I'm suppossed to close on my house I sold in two weeks, going to be flush with cash, might have to call this "PAW" guy..... rolleyes.gif
Think I'll be dropping a dime on Raughhammer also.... wink.gif

Stink, I can give you Paw's cell # and he can give you direction on how to set it up and the basics. He's shared what he's learned with a few friends and they've all done pretty good building upon what he told them. Paw if VERY frugal and doesn't take big risks with his money. He's done pretty good for us.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aaastinkie
post Sep 20 2011, 02:55 AM
Post #17

Think I'll sit in cash for now and wait for the firestorm after Greece defaults..... mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
aaastinkie
post Sep 23 2011, 04:05 AM
Post #18

I'm not going to lie here, bought Noble Energy a few days ago (just before the crash) down 9 a share already..... ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Sep 23 2011, 05:52 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(aaastinkie @ Sep 23 2011, 05:05 AM) *
I'm not going to lie here, bought Noble Energy a few days ago (just before the crash) down 9 a share already..... ohmy.gif

laugh.gif If you would've followed Maw's or my advice you'd be down big too...

This post has been edited by CMeyers: Sep 23 2011, 05:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
aaastinkie
post Sep 23 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #20

It's OK, just chump change..... mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 07:18 PM