Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2011 Canadian Weather Highlights, Most memorable weather events of the year
an uncanny otter
post Sep 10 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 24,142

Although we still have more than 3 months left of 2011, we're in a relatively unactive and boring phase right now. Since the storms of September 3, we've been stuck in a relatively cool, wet and rainy pattern and little active weather.

So I thought this would be a good time to recount some of the most memorable weather events of 2011 in your area so far. 2011 has been a year of extremes across the globe, and Canadian weather has been no exception.

There are a few particular things that really stand out about 2011 to me:

-We received our snowiest February on record in February 2011. During that month, over 85 cm of snow fell at the Windsor airport, with similar totals recorded imby. We had four major snowstorms hit us during that month, and it will be a winter month I'll never forget, setting the standard in my county for record snow. What made it even better was that December and January were relatively dry and snow-free, and February made up for it in spades.

-The Groundhog Day blizzard, although underperforming for most of us in Ontario, was still an extremely powerful and memorable storm. The winds gusted to over 100 km/h imby, and despite being primarily a sleet storm, a surprise burst of lake-effect later in the day resulted in my area's highest 24-hour snow total of the winter (26 cm.)

-Many areas in Ontario, including mine, received our wettest spring on record. From March 1 to May 31, Windsor recorded over 450 mm of precipitation. The wet spring was devastating for farmers, with some declaring that it was their worst spring ever. Many crops had their planting delayed by several weeks.

-April 2011 was a particularly active and varied month in Ontario. It seemed to be raining or cloudy nearly every day, with below-average temperatures dominating. However, on April 10, the temperature shot up to a mild (and gorgeous!) 27*C, with the humidex reaching into the 30s. A week later, temperatures plunged, and we received a late-season snowstorm on April 18, with 4 cm of snow recorded imby. Not a huge total, but impressive considering how late it happened.

-The rainiest day of the year occurred on May 25 in Chatham-Kent. Three rounds of heavy thunderstorms rolled through that day - one in the morning, and two in the afternoon - resulting in over 100 mm of rain falling. It caused widespread minor flooding across my area, including many flooded roads and yards.

-On the morning of June 7, a surprise MCS plowed through much of southern Ontario. My area doesn't receive hail very much, but I was shaken awake by the sound of thunder and strong winds. When I looked outside, I was surprised to see the largest hail my town's received in years, with the largest imby being 3 cm wide. Was also the most damaging storm of the year in my area.

-July 2011 was Windsor's hottest month on record, and perhaps the hottest month recorded in Canadian history. It was relentlessly hot and humid across eastern Canada, culminating on July 21 when the humidex reached a blistering 50*C in Windsor and Toronto.

-The thunderstorm outbreak of August 24 was a legendary event for millions of people across Ontario, with tornado watches and warnings issued in every county west of Toronto. For my area, it was the same story as most other places - the most incredible lightning show I've ever seen.

Share your weather stories of 2011! It's been a crazy year from coast-to-coast, and since nothing exciting is occurring right now, we might as well talk about something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abbotsfordwx
post Sep 12 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,288

Sounds pretty fun.

It has been a rather unremarkable year over here (at least in comparison to years such as 2006, 2008, and 2009). Not much active weather, just a lot of overcast, cool and damp days.

-After a milder than expected winter, La Nina finally began to exert its influence in the third week of February. February was the first of six consecutive months of below average daytime highs. Persistent cloudcover and above average precipitation spelled disaster for many farmers. Some crops were several weeks behind and others were destroyed by the saturated fields.

-We received one of our latest accumulating snowfalls on record on April 14th, when up to 6 cm fell (though only a trace was officially observed at the airport).

-The temperature finally struggled to 30.6C by August 20th, marking the 5th latest date for our first 30+C reading of the season.

-August was a turning point from the cold and wet conditions to a warmer and drier regime. Daytime highs finally recovered to normal values and precipitation dropped sharply. Only 16.1 mm of rain fell in August, and none has yet fallen in September.

-September 3rd to 11th featured 9 consecutive days with daytime highs above 25C. Two records were set during this period, the mercury climbing to 30.1C on the 8th and 31.1C on the 11th -- the highest temperature recorded all summer long. This is the third latest date for the yearly maximum temperature to be reached since records began in 1945, and is tied for 8th coldest yearly maximum.

This post has been edited by abbotsfordwx: Sep 14 2011, 01:49 PM

+Quote Post
ottawasnowstorm
post Sep 14 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,775

- The heavy thunderstorm in june in Orleans that gave 93 mm in 30 minutes, most of it in 10-12 minutes, but that measurement was at the airport and they did not get it as bad as in the Orleans part. I've never seen it rain that hard and everybody at the place I work at said the exact same thing. Everybody! Some roads that have never been flooded to my knowledge were flooded and even some closed down. Just incredible. Some decent to large size hail also fell. Easily the best thunderstrom I've ever witnessed and that's of all-time, not just this year.

- The thunderstorm yesterday (september 13) at about 3:00 pm that had intense thunder and lightning, and incredible strong winds and heavy rain with some decent to large size hail.

- A severe thunderstorm late eveing in august that may have had the strongest winds of this year(although the storm yesterday that I mentioned just above may have had just as strong winds or stronger, not sure).

- Two snowstorms in febuary (and maybe the beginning of march? memory a little weak now) that had real intense bursts in the morning that filled the roads in just a couple of hours or less. Winter was actually rottenin Ottawa last year as we did not record a single snow event at or above 20 cm but those two snowstorms at about 16-19 cm were still memorable due to the intensity of a couple of hours in each storm.

- The very, very hot and humid day back in july. I think we all remember that day.

This post has been edited by ottawasnowstorm: Sep 14 2011, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post
Cre47
post Sep 16 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,403

-Well the main points for this year so far:

- Pretty significant snow deficit for the 2010-11. There were a few decent snowfalls, but it's the second year in a row we had a rather uneventful winter.

- First major thunderstorm was on the early hours of April 11, lots of lightning and torrential rain. A bit of water leaked in the basement.

- A lot of severe weather events for sure. The first memorable one was the June 23-24 insane rain event where locally up to 250 mm fell in some places, causing major flash floods in the Le Plateau, Aylmer, north Gatineau/Hull and the La Peche area.

- The wind storm of July 17 which caused widespread damage in some parts of the region especially in the Val-des-Bois and Bowman area.

- June 8, June 28, September 13 and a few other days, there some pretty decent storms.

- The four tornadic storms in the Aylmer area, one was confirmed as a tornado, two were funnel clouds and another in April I'm not sure if something was spotted.

- As usual, lots of heat and humidity.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 04:31 PM