Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> R.I.P. Dennis Ritchie
harum-scarum
post Oct 13 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,048

Dennis Ritchie co-creator of Unix and founder of the programming language C died recently. He had a huge influence on the programming world and influenced many other programming languages as well. Because of his invention of C, he became an important pioneer in modern computing. The C language is still used widely in application and operating system development. Ritchie contributed a huge amount to technology, but because he wasn't as widely known as a certain Apple founder, you may have a hard time finding too many news stories about his death.

--------------------
"Curiouser and curiouser!"
Kiss me baby I am SnowWhite sleeping in a coffin, waiting for you.
Here I am a rabbit hearted girl.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Don't Panic

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Oct 13 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,154

QUOTE(harum-scarum @ Oct 13 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Dennis Ritchie co-creator of Unix and founder of the programming language C died recently. He had a huge influence on the programming world and influenced many other programming languages as well. Because of his invention of C, he became an important pioneer in modern computing. The C language is still used widely in application and operating system development. Ritchie contributed a huge amount to technology, but because he wasn't as widely known as a certain Apple founder, you may have a hard time finding too many news stories about his death.

Do we think someone has been miscredited here? unsure.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by wingsovernc: Oct 13 2011, 11:34 AM

--------------------

The heart isn't blind, it just sees what it wants to see.

Earl Thomas Conley, "Nobody Falls Like A Fool"

+Quote Post
Sovolis
post Oct 13 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,778

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Oct 13 2011, 11:32 AM) *
Do we think someone has been miscredited here? unsure.gif

Attached Image

The "C:\" in the demotivator isn't the "C" for the computer language C (or any of the later version of C; C+, C++). Bill Gates created the DOS operating system and that is what the demotivator is showing a picture of. The "C:\" in the picture denotes that the user is currently working on his C Drive (the Harddrive or HDD in the computer). The "C:\" in the picture is what those of us that are familiar with the DOS operating system would call the "C prompt".

--------------------
QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Nov 4 2010, 10:57 PM) *
A squirrel cannot carry the rabies virus... but has no trouble carrying the AK-47 assault rifle or the M72 Light Anti-tank weapon ( LAWS rocket)!! :unsure: :lol:

+Quote Post
Maw
post Oct 13 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,971

QUOTE(Sovolis @ Oct 13 2011, 01:51 PM) *
The "C:\" in the demotivator isn't the "C" for the computer language C (or any of the later version of C; C+, C++). Bill Gates created the DOS operating system and that is what the demotivator is showing a picture of. The "C:\" in the picture denotes that the user is currently working on his C Drive (the Harddrive or HDD in the computer). The "C:\" in the picture is what those of us that are familiar with the DOS operating system would call the "C prompt".

I remember learning DOS back in 1988. You had to memorize the commands. The only one I can remember is C:list. As I recall, the HUGE NO-NO was C:delete. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.....!

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
Sovolis
post Oct 13 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,778

QUOTE(Maw @ Oct 13 2011, 03:17 PM) *
I remember learning DOS back in 1988. You had to memorize the commands. The only one I can remember is C:list. As I recall, the HUGE NO-NO was C:delete. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.....!

Nothing like deleting your entire harddrive... laugh.gif

Another useful command was "C:\dir". Very similar to "C:\list".

--------------------
QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Nov 4 2010, 10:57 PM) *
A squirrel cannot carry the rabies virus... but has no trouble carrying the AK-47 assault rifle or the M72 Light Anti-tank weapon ( LAWS rocket)!! :unsure: :lol:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 04:43 PM