Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wind Storm Oct 19-20
trancen
post Oct 19 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
From: Toronto, On Lake Ontario on my Sailboat, ALL yr long.
Member No.: 14,129

I'm surprise no one has started a thread on this one yet.

It's FREAKING WINDY! HOLY COW.. As some of you may know I live on my sailboat. I'm located just west of downtown Toronto and it's blowing like stink. Have recorded winds over 85Kmh. The boat is heeling over as if I was out sailing. I went out to place more lines(ropes) to take off all the loads from the one side of the boat.
I tried to record the event with the camera but it's too dark and all I would be recording is the sound.

My club has recorded 44knts(80kmh) and Port Credit Yacht Club has recorded 52knots(96km/h)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
an uncanny otter
post Oct 19 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,142

We've been getting drenched with rain here for the past 24 hours. Nearly 45 mm here so far, with lots more to come overnight. The wind has also started to really pick up over the past few hours.

Awesome powerhouse storm. Let's keep 'em coming from now until April wub.gif

+Quote Post
trancen
post Oct 19 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #3

No wait, don't keep it coming. Give me some time to get the boat ready, I need 3 weeks in November. THEN let it keep coming smile.gif

+Quote Post
an uncanny otter
post Oct 19 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,142

60 mm of wind-driven rain now. If this was snow I'd be completely buried under 2 feet laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Weather X
post Oct 20 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,145

The storm has been absolutely pounding us here in Hamilton for the past couple hours. It is looking very HURRICANE like out there with bands of horizontal rain and furious winds. The apartment I'm in is actually flooding through the walls and water is seeping through the floors...and I live on the 6th floor! its crazy out there. This would have been the Blizzard of the decade had it been snow.

+Quote Post
EOsnowmom
post Oct 20 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,244

We're just on the outskirts of this storm and I'll tell you, it was a restless night here in strong howling winds! Gusts would hit the house and shake the beejeezus out of it. The winds don't seem much better yet, now that's it's morning. We've got 10mm of rain here since it began. CFRA radio station in Ottawa is reporting 20mm.

I can't imagine riding this storm through in a BOAT! Stay safe!!

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Oct 20 2011, 08:27 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 24,422

We also had a thunderstorm outside Ottawa last night, pouring rain and crazy wind. Man if this was a winter storm, it would have been AWESOME tongue.gif

+Quote Post
travis3000
post Oct 20 2011, 09:44 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,822

Here in the Alliston area we had very heavy rain overnight especially between the 11pm to 4am timeframe. I recorded 38mm of rain here from this storm which isn't as bad as the Hamilton to Windsor area but still fairly decent. Winds weren't too bad last night, a few gusts to 60KM/H but that's it.

--------------------
Track winter storms with expert analysis on either one of my two blogs:

http://scglweather.blogspot.com/

Exclusive Southern Ontario Weather Blog

Travis

+Quote Post
trancen
post Oct 20 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #9

I finally fell asleep about 2am. It was insane. No question we must have had gusts just over 100km/h. There was one gust that sounded like a training coming. I thought for sure something was going to snap.

This morning there was *bleep* all over the in the water. Fenders, life rings, branches. Looks like some boat had some minor damage to dodgers (part thats over the cockpit to keep the sun away) and one boat look like his sail was starting to come undone.

Good thing my winter cover wasn't on yet. Because for sure I would have to be replacing it. It would have been shredded.

+Quote Post
Torontoweather
post Oct 20 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,500

Recorded about 40mm of rain so far, with some rain still falling, and some more still to come(nothing more too significant though). Also recorded a peak wind gust of 87km/h. Great fall storm!

--------------------
New blog for southern Ontario!
Discussions on other parts of North America as well(particularly for winter storms)!
http://weatherintoronto.blogspot.com/

"Get Up-To-Date Forecasts on Upcoming weather events across South-Eastern North America!"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 05:12 AM