Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Accuweather now limiting model text output on their Pro site to big cities only?, I can't get it for smaller airport locations this season.
woodvegas
post Nov 22 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 24,240

Now that winter is gearing up I have been trying to get model text output using the airport codes closest to where I live but I have unable to do so on Accuweather's Pro site. The codes (MBT and RNC) worked fine last winter season but none of the codes for the smaller airports near me work now. It still works for bigger cities like BNA. I'm referring to this section at the bottom of each model page...

GFS - Text Output (Up to 15 Days Out)
Type: 15-Day Decoded (00/12Z) 7-Day MOS (00Z) 60-Hour MOS (00,06,12,18Z)
HINT: ENTER A 3-LETTER (US) / 4-LETTER (INTL) STATION CODE

Is this a permanent change? It's definitely a step backward in service if it is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Nov 22 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(woodvegas @ Nov 22 2011, 07:45 PM) *
Now that winter is gearing up I have been trying to get model text output using the airport codes closest to where I live but I have unable to do so on Accuweather's Pro site. The codes (MBT and RNC) worked fine last winter season but none of the codes for the smaller airports near me work now. It still works for bigger cities like BNA. I'm referring to this section at the bottom of each model page...

GFS - Text Output (Up to 15 Days Out)
Type: 15-Day Decoded (00/12Z) 7-Day MOS (00Z) 60-Hour MOS (00,06,12,18Z)
HINT: ENTER A 3-LETTER (US) / 4-LETTER (INTL) STATION CODE

Is this a permanent change? It's definitely a step backward in service if it is.

Besides this post in the forums, I would strongly suggest that you utilize the 'contact us' link on the bottom or here. I will give the administrator a heads up about this thread though.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
woodvegas
post Nov 22 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Nov 22 2011, 08:37 PM) *
Besides this post in the forums, I would strongly suggest that you utilize the 'contact us' link on the bottom or here. I will give the administrator a heads up about this thread though.

I used the "contact us" approach first and the response I got back did not address the question...kinda frustrating.

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Nov 23 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #4

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(woodvegas @ Nov 22 2011, 10:02 PM) *
I used the "contact us" approach first and the response I got back did not address the question...kinda frustrating.

I agree...there have been times that it's happened to me before also. When you get the response email from an actual technician, reiterate the situation in full. Check your pm's for something from me.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Nov 23 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #5

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(woodvegas @ Nov 22 2011, 11:02 PM) *

I checked on this and your request is being handled, but this is the response:

Currently the program is set up to look for stations in the us/Canada METAR lists. These stations have not reported in a long time, so I took them out of the observation database all of the old inactive and invalid stations were slowing down the whole thing. I have a possible fix which I can look into next week.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
msager
post Nov 28 2011, 01:54 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: AccuWeather_Employee
Member No.: 12,544

I am a programmer at AccuWeather, and I believe that I just fixed this problem. I am sorry for the inconvenience - I had removed the inactive stations from the table for the observation program so that it would run faster, but it is the same look-up table that is used by the model text program, and those stations stopped working.

Today I created a separate table with the inactive stations (800+ of them!) and changed the program so that it will try that table if it does not find a station in the active stations. Please let us know if there are any other problems.

While I'm on the subject, I have done some recent work to the program that creates model text, and there are other data types that can be displayed now. I will work on getting these options added to the page.

+Quote Post
wxenthus
post Dec 1 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,353

QUOTE(msager @ Nov 28 2011, 01:54 PM) *
I am a programmer at AccuWeather, and I believe that I just fixed this problem. I am sorry for the inconvenience - I had removed the inactive stations from the table for the observation program so that it would run faster, but it is the same look-up table that is used by the model text program, and those stations stopped working.

Today I created a separate table with the inactive stations (800+ of them!) and changed the program so that it will try that table if it does not find a station in the active stations. Please let us know if there are any other problems.

While I'm on the subject, I have done some recent work to the program that creates model text, and there are other data types that can be displayed now. I will work on getting these options added to the page.

Any chance of getting the RPM model while we're at it?!
Thx,
Mike

+Quote Post
woodvegas
post Dec 3 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(msager @ Nov 28 2011, 12:54 PM) *

Thank you! It seems to be working fine now. I really appreciate you fixing this!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 08:07 AM