Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AWIPS available to everyone
wxman99
post Apr 28 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,787

For those that are interested in the National Weather Service AWIPS system, you can now download your own home version in a java client format. This company is offereing a free month trial of the software and service. Thereafter, it is $29.95/mo. You can customize your model parameters and most of the capabilities of the National Weather Service. The software can be found at http://extremeforecasting.com/ under the program Metwise Net.

Enjoy,

Justin =)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Jun 2 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

I tried it out, it definately looks like AWIPS but it seemed a little clunky and took a while to update a loop, maybe that was my firewall.

One problem with AWIPS is that it was designed before the days that anyone envisioned zooming in and out of a map, so you are stuck jumping from US to Regional to Local predefined areas.

I still prefer the system that I developed :roll: with the help of wdtinc.com, which is called RadarPlus, and has also been accused of working like AWIPS. It also has street-level radar, lightning strikes, and PredictiveRadar. But this ExtremeForecasting product does have the forecast model data, and RadarPlus has only rad/sat/lightning/current conditions.

OKC 2004!

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
owensri
post Jun 6 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,173

Hello. I like to issue my own warnings on my website when severe thunderstorms are in the area. I was wondering of any of you know of any type of software that is similar or like the NWS's WarnGen software...A simple click and "Drag Me to Storm". If you know of any type of software...could you let me know where to find it. It makes it alot easier than typing it out manually.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
wxman99
post Jan 29 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,787

Jesse,

With Metwise Net, you can zoom in by clicking the middle mouse button and zoom out by clicking the left mouse button. You don't have to switch regions to view closer...

You can view radar, satellite, international obs, model data, soundings, profiler data. The newest version has auto-reload for the main pane. We are working to ingest mcidas satellite data in the future and possibly integrate level 2 radar data.

The software will take a short time to load because it is generating the graphics at each requests. Some graphics are pre-generated and require small amounts of time, but radar... especially the regional images are generated by assimilating data from each radar on request. We may try and pregenerate these in the future.

http://www.extremeforecasting.com/net/overview.htm

-Justin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried it out, it definately looks like AWIPS but it seemed a little clunky and took a while to update a loop, maybe that was my firewall.

One problem with AWIPS is that it was designed before the days that anyone envisioned zooming in and out of a map, so you are stuck jumping from US to Regional to Local predefined areas.

I still prefer the system that I developed with the help of wdtinc.com, which is called RadarPlus, and has also been accused of working like AWIPS. It also has street-level radar, lightning strikes, and PredictiveRadar. But this ExtremeForecasting product does have the forecast model data, and RadarPlus has only rad/sat/lightning/current conditions.

OKC 2004!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 10:25 AM