Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Joined the Military., After 7 months of jumping through hurdles.
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 16,148

I'm at a crossroads in my life. Been on UC after being let go from my job nearly a year ago. The UC runs out very soon and have not been getting a lot of feedback from the applications I have put in.

Would love to go to college (actually did go for a semester to get my feet wet) but I, nor my parents have the funds to put me through.

How's military life? I would go active. No way am I going in the reserves an having them calling me in years down the road when I have a kid on the way.

I wouldn't mind being a pilot. Is this a feasible goal? I wear contacts and diabetes runs in my family. Would that prevent me from being picked to go to flight school?

This post has been edited by hckyplayer8: Oct 5 2012, 04:46 PM

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gilbertfly
post Dec 19 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,723

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Dec 18 2011, 11:04 PM) *
I'm at a crossroads in my life. Been on UC after being let go from my job nearly a year ago. The UC runs out very soon and have not been getting a lot of feedback from the applications I have put in.

I'm of no help in regards to the military. . .

but just wanted to throw a nudge of support to you for actually looking at your situation and trying to figure shtuff out instead of letting time waste away and playin' the violin . . . good on ya and good luck bud! wink.gif

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Gilbertfly @ Dec 19 2011, 12:15 AM) *
I'm of no help in regards to the military. . .

but just wanted to throw a nudge of support to you for actually looking at your situation and trying to figure shtuff out instead of letting time waste away and playin' the violin . . . good on ya and good luck bud! wink.gif

Thanks Gilbert. Hopefully some good things in store in my future.

Gonna admit, I'm glad I got let go. That final year at my occupation (that came under new management) was the worst of my life.

I was miserable.

The year long vacation was welcomed.

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post
2007cobalt
post Dec 19 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 23,360

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Dec 19 2011, 12:04 AM) *

Would love to go to college (actually did go for a semester to get my feet wet) but I, nor my parents have the funds to put me through.

How's military life? I would go active. No way am I going in the reserves an having them calling me in years down the road when I have a kid on the way.

I wouldn't mind being a pilot. Is this a feasible goal? I wear contacts and diabetes runs in my family. Would that prevent me from being picked to go to flight school?

The military will help you with college as well as give you some valuable experience. Wearing contacts will probably keep you from being a pilot , but it couldnt hurt to look into it. You must have a certain level of eyesight ( unaided ) in order to qualify , and then being college educated is a requirement and officer training. Military life isnt for everybody but its not so bad , but that also depends on what job you end up with. About the reserves , whether they call you in years down the road when you have a kid on the way , or you are already full time with a kid on the way there isnt much difference. Years down the road if you had a kid on the way and you are stuck in south korea or afghanistan it would be just as hard. The reserves is atleast a paycheck ( however limited ) and help with education , you can even go full time later , but active duty is the best option. I was in the air force for a while , some of it was cool , some of it $ucked big time. Its a big decision , you have to make sure its what you really want.

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Dec 19 2011, 03:52 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,204

Your 'weather location' is shown as Fredericksburg, PA - Central PA is not a hot bed of employment at the present time. Are you willing to locate to area's that are hiring? Do you want a job or do you want to live at home?

The Oil Industry is booming in the Dakota's and hiring is taking place at at prodigous pace.

The Railroads are hiring to replace the work force they hired in the 60's & 70's that are reaching retirement age - railroading at the operational level is more of a life style than a simple job - however, the pay and benefits are good in comparison to many other forms of employment.

The one thing to remember about signing up for the military - you are signing up for a life style you have never experienced for a defined amout of time without fully knowing what you are getting yourself into - without a exit possibility that does not hurt your employability should you decide that military life is not for you - less than Honorable Discharge papers do not help your employability. The other side of the military will teach you discipline and teamwork and depending up the field you get into - potentially a employable skill + the in service and after service benefits of the GI Bill etc.

Ploting one's future is not a easy task and deserves looking at the pro's and con's of every potential choice.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Dec 19 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,327

You're not allowed to become a pilot if you wear contacts/glasses or have any type of vision correction.

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
Nicole
post Dec 19 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 23,515

Military life is all in what you make it. My absolute best friend in the world is in the Army, currently in Afghanistan on his third tour over there. Quite frankly, the deployments suck. However, even with all of the time that he spends over there, he keeps re-enlisting. Even though when he is at home he is constantly away training (he is a sniper) he keeps re-enlisting. His wife is in the Army as well (MP) and she returned from the Middle East in August, he left in September. They will have been apart for basically two years by the time he returns next summer, but he loves his job. The military is not for everyone. Michael had always, always wanted to go into the Army ever since we were young teens. Both of his parents were in the Army as well. I do know that the waits to get into the military are months long to over a year. Due to the bad economy many people are trying to enlist because they are out of options, yet the military is scaling back size of it's forces.

There are tons of jobs you can do in the military. Some translate well into the civilian world, some not. My advice if enlisting is a short-term solution for your problems: Pick a job that you can do outside of the military. It's great that the Army teaches people to be tank mechanics. However, if that is all you do in the Army is work on tanks, that doesn't translate well to life after the military. I would think this through long and hard. Are you wanting to go into the military because you want to be in the military, or because you are desperate? Here is a copy of the email my friend sent to his mom a few weeks ago. Now mind you, this is his THIRD tour over there, so to hear him talk like this we knew it was bad:

mom and pops,

well im still doing ok, but ill have you know its going to be a real tough couple of months, this area is pretty bad, but im being as safe as i can. the living conditions here on my cop are horrible we have only one generator to power our essential equipment, only one room has a light, we have no heat , its getting very cold already , we only ge...t mre to eat no hot chow, we have no showers or running water, we just finnaly got this one computer but its for use for work and not much time alloted for personal use as it is needed for work...but all in al we are doing ok.. but if you could send me and the guys some things it would be greatly apreciated and used alot here is a list of things that we need

any electric cook ware like griddles or hot plates

pots or pans

ramen noodles

seasonings

any non perishable food that can make it in the mail

any personal hygene items , razors shave cream tooth paste tooth brush, baby wipes, soap

portable hanging camping shower

ciggarettes or any tobbaco products

hand warmers

a french press coffee maker, whole coffee beans and a coffee grinder

things we have,

we have one hot plate , one pan and one coffee maker

with that being said , we can never have enough coffee its the fuel driving us on

we can never have enough socks , and it dosnt matter what color they are

and any warm clothes like long johns and such would be a great plus

i know this is a big list, and dont expect to get much or any of it but any thing you guys could send or any one else you know that would like to help out me and my boys would be greatly appreciated

I am not trying to deter you in any way. When we think deployment, most people think of M.A.S.H. Not this ^^. My fiance and I were LIVID when we read this. That is NOT the way our troops should be treated. I did hear from him directly on Saturday and he said that they do now have head and showers, while not reliable, it is better than it was. Just some food for thought. I hope that you make the correct decision for yourself.

--------------------
Don't try to argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level
and then beat you with experience

If it is that unbelievable... it is probably too good to be true!

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(2007cobalt @ Dec 19 2011, 03:39 AM) *
The military will help you with college as well as give you some valuable experience. Wearing contacts will probably keep you from being a pilot , but it couldnt hurt to look into it. You must have a certain level of eyesight ( unaided ) in order to qualify , and then being college educated is a requirement and officer training. Military life isnt for everybody but its not so bad , but that also depends on what job you end up with. About the reserves , whether they call you in years down the road when you have a kid on the way , or you are already full time with a kid on the way there isnt much difference. Years down the road if you had a kid on the way and you are stuck in south korea or afghanistan it would be just as hard. The reserves is atleast a paycheck ( however limited ) and help with education , you can even go full time later , but active duty is the best option. I was in the air force for a while , some of it was cool , some of it $ucked big time. Its a big decision , you have to make sure its what you really want.

I mean't, I don't have a kid now and don't plan on having one.

I don't want to be in the reserves, settle into civilian life, have a kid and guess what, your going to Korea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Dec 19 2011, 03:52 AM) *
Your 'weather location' is shown as Fredericksburg, PA - Central PA is not a hot bed of employment at the present time. Are you willing to locate to area's that are hiring? Do you want a job or do you want to live at home?

The Oil Industry is booming in the Dakota's and hiring is taking place at at prodigous pace.

The Railroads are hiring to replace the work force they hired in the 60's & 70's that are reaching retirement age - railroading at the operational level is more of a life style than a simple job - however, the pay and benefits are good in comparison to many other forms of employment.

The one thing to remember about signing up for the military - you are signing up for a life style you have never experienced for a defined amout of time without fully knowing what you are getting yourself into - without a exit possibility that does not hurt your employability should you decide that military life is not for you - less than Honorable Discharge papers do not help your employability. The other side of the military will teach you discipline and teamwork and depending up the field you get into - potentially a employable skill + the in service and after service benefits of the GI Bill etc.

Ploting one's future is not a easy task and deserves looking at the pro's and con's of every potential choice.

I wouldn't know the first thing about moving away to get a job. Even then, I wouldn't have the funding to get a house.

Live in the car? laugh.gif

North PA is actually cashing in on the drilling for the gas produced by the shale. The farmers are becoming millionaires by selling their land to the gas companies.

I saw about the railroad and have already applied to Norfolk Southern.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Dec 19 2011, 08:52 AM) *
You're not allowed to become a pilot if you wear contacts/glasses or have any type of vision correction.

Lame. Very lame.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Nicole @ Dec 19 2011, 10:15 AM) *
Military life is all in what you make it. My absolute best friend in the world is in the Army, currently in Afghanistan on his third tour over there. Quite frankly, the deployments suck. However, even with all of the time that he spends over there, he keeps re-enlisting. Even though when he is at home he is constantly away training (he is a sniper) he keeps re-enlisting. His wife is in the Army as well (MP) and she returned from the Middle East in August, he left in September. They will have been apart for basically two years by the time he returns next summer, but he loves his job. The military is not for everyone. Michael had always, always wanted to go into the Army ever since we were young teens. Both of his parents were in the Army as well. I do know that the waits to get into the military are months long to over a year. Due to the bad economy many people are trying to enlist because they are out of options, yet the military is scaling back size of it's forces.

There are tons of jobs you can do in the military. Some translate well into the civilian world, some not. My advice if enlisting is a short-term solution for your problems: Pick a job that you can do outside of the military. It's great that the Army teaches people to be tank mechanics. However, if that is all you do in the Army is work on tanks, that doesn't translate well to life after the military. I would think this through long and hard. Are you wanting to go into the military because you want to be in the military, or because you are desperate? Here is a copy of the email my friend sent to his mom a few weeks ago. Now mind you, this is his THIRD tour over there, so to hear him talk like this we knew it was bad:

mom and pops,

well im still doing ok, but ill have you know its going to be a real tough couple of months, this area is pretty bad, but im being as safe as i can. the living conditions here on my cop are horrible we have only one generator to power our essential equipment, only one room has a light, we have no heat , its getting very cold already , we only ge...t mre to eat no hot chow, we have no showers or running water, we just finnaly got this one computer but its for use for work and not much time alloted for personal use as it is needed for work...but all in al we are doing ok.. but if you could send me and the guys some things it would be greatly apreciated and used alot here is a list of things that we need
any electric cook ware like griddles or hot plates

pots or pans

ramen noodles

seasonings

any non perishable food that can make it in the mail

any personal hygene items , razors shave cream tooth paste tooth brush, baby wipes, soap

portable hanging camping shower

ciggarettes or any tobbaco products

hand warmers

a french press coffee maker, whole coffee beans and a coffee grinder
things we have,

we have one hot plate , one pan and one coffee maker

with that being said , we can never have enough coffee its the fuel driving us on

we can never have enough socks , and it dosnt matter what color they are

and any warm clothes like long johns and such would be a great plus
i know this is a big list, and dont expect to get much or any of it but any thing you guys could send or any one else you know that would like to help out me and my boys would be greatly appreciated

I am not trying to deter you in any way. When we think deployment, most people think of M.A.S.H. Not this ^^. My fiance and I were LIVID when we read this. That is NOT the way our troops should be treated. I did hear from him directly on Saturday and he said that they do now have head and showers, while not reliable, it is better than it was. Just some food for thought. I hope that you make the correct decision for yourself.

Thanks for that. Sort of expected what he wrote. There are some world class shitholes out there.

Didn't know about the month/year long wait to join.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nicole
post Dec 19 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 23,515

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Dec 19 2011, 01:21 PM) *

Yes. My daughter's tumbling coach just enlisted (Navy Reserves) and he has a seven month wait. If this is really what you want to do, I recommend talking with a recruiter. Just please, do not let the $$ talk blind you. You are very good at reading between the lines, and you will need to do that when speaking with them. You just need to be positive that you are prepared to sacrifice at least one year of your life overseas at war with people literally trying to kill you.

ETA: Yes, there are some horrible places to live out there. He started in Fairbanks, got PCS'ed to El Paso, and shipped off to Afghanistan. I still tell him he must have made somebody very, very mad laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Nicole: Dec 19 2011, 04:06 PM

--------------------
Don't try to argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level
and then beat you with experience

If it is that unbelievable... it is probably too good to be true!

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Dec 19 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #13

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Dec 19 2011, 12:21 PM) *
Thanks for that. Sort of expected what he wrote. There are some world class shitholes out there.

DEP program really isn't for everyone either. I have seen multiple people enlist under this program and all it did was give them extra time to change their minds and it was too late for that as you already sign the paperwork.

Each branch has it's perks and quirks.

If you want to see the world, pick something associated with electronics in the Navy and you'll travel with the battle groups making port calls around the world. Times have changed since I've been in, but the communication is a ton better in the navy than it was back in my day. 40 word "family grams" and you learned to code very well with your family to get all the information in that short span.

I might suggest that you look at the military.com forums and read thru some threads there. You'll see people with the same concerns you have. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to pm or FB me!

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Nicole @ Dec 19 2011, 03:53 PM) *
Yes. My daughter's tumbling coach just enlisted (Navy Reserves) and he has a seven month wait. If this is really what you want to do, I recommend talking with a recruiter. Just please, do not let the $$ talk blind you. You are very good at reading between the lines, and you will need to do that when speaking with them. You just need to be positive that you are prepared to sacrifice at least one year of your life overseas at war with people literally trying to kill you.

ETA: Yes, there are some horrible places to live out there. He started in Fairbanks, got PCS'ed to El Paso, and shipped off to Afghanistan. I still tell him he must have made somebody very, very mad laugh.gif

Yes. I'm well aware of that. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Dec 19 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Dec 19 2011, 08:04 PM) *
DEP program really isn't for everyone either. I have seen multiple people enlist under this program and all it did was give them extra time to change their minds and it was too late for that as you already sign the paperwork.

Each branch has it's perks and quirks.

If you want to see the world, pick something associated with electronics in the Navy and you'll travel with the battle groups making port calls around the world. Times have changed since I've been in, but the communication is a ton better in the navy than it was back in my day. 40 word "family grams" and you learned to code very well with your family to get all the information in that short span.

I might suggest that you look at the military.com forums and read thru some threads there. You'll see people with the same concerns you have. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to pm or FB me!

Thanks. I will have to.

If I enlist for active, would the wait be shorter?

I heard you sign an 8 yr contract to be "active" for 4 and placed on "reserve" for the rest.

What type of scenario would it take for them to take me back off "reserve" and placed on active again.

I was thinking national guard. Like I said, I would love to be a pilot so air national guard sounds good.

I have found mixed responses as to the vision requirements. I have found some that say no corrective lenses and others say you have to be corrected to a certain score.

Which is correct?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Dec 19 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #16

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Dec 19 2011, 08:29 PM) *
Thanks. I will have to.

If I enlist for active, would the wait be shorter?

I heard you sign an 8 yr contract to be "active" for 4 and placed on "reserve" for the rest.

What type of scenario would it take for them to take me back off "reserve" and placed on active again.

I was thinking national guard. Like I said, I would love to be a pilot so air national guard sounds good.

I have found mixed responses as to the vision requirements. I have found some that say no corrective lenses and others say you have to be corrected to a certain score.

Which is correct?

It depends on what type of Military Occupational Specialty you go for regarding the time in service. For instance, when I was in the mid 90's the fleet required you to be in for 8 years total. Now, if you picked an electronics billet, you would have 6 years active and 2 years active reserve. The reason being is because you would spend the first 1.5-2 years in schooling.

Regarding the eye issue, I won't lie to you...I don't know. Shoot...I know that if you go to two different recruiters of the same branch at different offices they will probably tell you a different answer.

The National Guard is not a sure bet that you won't be deployed either. My former unit here in CoMO has been deployed to Haiti, Qatar, and Afghanistan all in the past couple of years. Granted, they are an MP BN which puts them high on the list...but still, don't think that NG means you won't be sent overseas.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Dec 20 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,204

Prior to Iraq and Afgahnistan the Reserves and National Guard were rarely, if ever, called to active status. Since those conflicts began, the Reservs and National Guard are being deployed on almost the same frequency rate as those in the Regular branches.

One of my fellow employees is currently overseas on deployment, within the 30K people employed by my company there are approximately 150 that are actively deployed in either Reserve or Guard units at any point in time over the past 10 years. Some in Reserve/Guard units have been deployed multiple times.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Dec 21 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #18

Attached Image one thing I would love to do in the military

You might be issued one of these. PS this is mine smile.gif

Attached Image

Awesome picture
Attached Image

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jan 6 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Dec 21 2011, 11:40 AM) *
Attached Image one thing I would love to do in the military

You might be issued one of these. PS this is mine smile.gif

Attached Image

Awesome picture
Attached Image

Yes please.

Talking to recruiter, the vision problem is minor IF they can correct my eyes with surgery.

If I get placed on a certain list (forget what he mentioned) the military would pay for surgery....which actually sounds like a good deal. (No more buying contacts yay)

Wen't to a job fair for Norfolk Southern, so will see if I hear from them. Starting out its 600/wk which would make me Scrooge McDuck with how tightly strapped I keep my funding.

Also I receive tier II EUC so I will have funding till June.

--------------------

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jan 6 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jan 6 2012, 02:29 PM) *
Yes please.

Talking to recruiter, the vision problem is minor IF they can correct my eyes with surgery.

If I get placed on a certain list (forget what he mentioned) the military would pay for surgery....which actually sounds like a good deal. (No more buying contacts yay)
Wen't to a job fair for Norfolk Southern, so will see if I hear from them. Starting out its 600/wk which would make me Scrooge McDuck with how tightly strapped I keep my funding.

Also I receive tier II EUC so I will have funding till June.

That's cool they might pay for surgery. Just don't get your hopes up too high for being a pilot. It's a very selective position. Not saying you can't do it, but most who try, don't get picked.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 02:31 AM