Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Joined the Military., After 7 months of jumping through hurdles.
2007cobalt
post Jan 6 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,360

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Dec 19 2011, 01:15 PM) *
I mean't, I don't have a kid now and don't plan on having one.

I don't want to be in the reserves, settle into civilian life, have a kid and guess what, your going to Korea.

Yeah that would suck. But the same thing can happen if you are active duty if you decided to have a family. If they up and send you to Korea your family cant go.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jan 7 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,327

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jan 6 2012, 02:29 PM) *
Yes please.

Talking to recruiter, the vision problem is minor IF they can correct my eyes with surgery.

If I get placed on a certain list (forget what he mentioned) the military would pay for surgery....which actually sounds like a good deal. (No more buying contacts yay)
Wen't to a job fair for Norfolk Southern, so will see if I hear from them. Starting out its 600/wk which would make me Scrooge McDuck with how tightly strapped I keep my funding.

Also I receive tier II EUC so I will have funding till June.

also, how old are you?

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jan 7 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 16,148

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Jan 7 2012, 09:45 AM) *
also, how old are you?

Nearly 23.

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jan 9 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jan 7 2012, 01:38 PM) *
Nearly 23.

Ok, that's a good age to join. At least you're mostly out of the party age

--------------------
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or, give me death!"

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jan 9 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Jan 9 2012, 10:38 AM) *
Ok, that's a good age to join. At least you're mostly out of the party age

Wasn't and still am not much of a party animal.

Large crowds and people in general annoy me...unless its a sporting event.

So being packed in a bar where everybody is bumping into me, I mainly stay away from.

--------------------
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are of my own and do not reflect the views of the USAF.

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Jan 9 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #26

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Jan 9 2012, 12:32 PM) *
Wasn't and still am not much of a party animal.

Large crowds and people in general annoy me...unless its a sporting event.

So being packed in a bar where everybody is bumping into me, I mainly stay away from.

Don't think about the Navy then...especially the submarine force. One phrase...hot racking.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jan 10 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Jan 9 2012, 08:33 PM) *
Don't think about the Navy then...especially the submarine force. One phrase...hot racking.

Agreed, shipmen are crazy. Mostly stir crazy. Go into the Chair Force smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
2007cobalt
post Jan 13 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 23,360

The "chair force" has opportunity to offer a wide range of jobs , anything from mechanic to civil engineering to flight crew to the hard core jobs like combat control and pararescue. Id have to say they offer more of a wide range of opportunities than the other branches , and the training usually fits better in the civilian world when you decide to get out. If you like the hard core jobs you can even train with the army , navy , and marines.......depending on your job. The military is a good experience , just not always a pleasant one. You will do and see a lot of really cool stuff if you decide to join , just dont believe anything a recruiter tells you.

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Jan 13 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(2007cobalt @ Jan 13 2012, 11:51 AM) *
The "chair force" has opportunity to offer a wide range of jobs , anything from mechanic to civil engineering to flight crew to the hard core jobs like combat control and pararescue. Id have to say they offer more of a wide range of opportunities than the other branches , and the training usually fits better in the civilian world when you decide to get out. If you like the hard core jobs you can even train with the army , navy , and marines.......depending on your job. The military is a good experience , just not always a pleasant one. You will do and see a lot of really cool stuff if you decide to join , just dont believe anything a recruiter tells you.

Agreed Cobalt! You're exactly right. I just call it the chair force because that's what my friends and I called it when I lived by Keesler AFB. There are definitely more job opportunities in the AF.

--------------------

+Quote Post
luckyp
post Jan 17 2012, 06:08 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 25,609

Regardless of branch of service there really are two fields you have to look at and introspectively decide between. Do you honestly want a combat MOS or a support MOS? That is truly what you have to decide first. All branches have both, Pilots or Aviators have ďload toadsĒ, Grunts have their entire supply chain, etc.
If an active combat job fits your personality, my advice is to pick a job with a technical aspect. To be honest ground pounding door kickers are a dime a dozen, and to that extent so are jobs like snipers and sappers. You can train just about anyone to do those jobs (and they do), In this modern military any specialized unit (SEALs, Special Forces, Rangers, and so on) have all their troops cross trained so that your demo guy can also function as your commo guy, your medic can also be your sniper. Itís the technical jobs that make you an absolute commodity. Itís the helo pilots, the pararescue and combat controllers/forward observers (non-artillery class like I was), combat crew boatmen, and even Pathfinders that are hard to replace.
If a non-combat role suits you more, chose something that will better your life in the long run. Unless you want to be a professional secretary donít chose a supply job. All branches have specialized jobs that will give you a foot in the real worlds door. Jobs like firefighting, MP, land survey, IT, and scores of others. All of them will have travel involved to some degree.
I hope this helps, PM me or let me know if I can help in any way.

p.s. Donít be scared of Korea itís actually pretty fun.

+Quote Post
JayKenney
post Jan 17 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 14,525

Join the military so I don't have to read your posts on that "other" board.

Love,
sbos_wx

--------------------

Winter 2009/2010
Boston
Winter 2009/2010 32" of snow
Winter 2008/2009 72" of snow

42.32įN 71.05įW

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jan 18 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(JayKenney @ Jan 17 2012, 09:23 PM) *
Join the military so I don't have to read your posts on that "other" board.

Love,
sbos_wx

You mad Bruins suck?

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Jan 27 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(luckyp @ Jan 17 2012, 06:08 AM) *
Regardless of branch of service there really are two fields you have to look at and introspectively decide between. Do you honestly want a combat MOS or a support MOS? That is truly what you have to decide first. All branches have both, Pilots or Aviators have ďload toadsĒ, Grunts have their entire supply chain, etc.
If an active combat job fits your personality, my advice is to pick a job with a technical aspect. To be honest ground pounding door kickers are a dime a dozen, and to that extent so are jobs like snipers and sappers. You can train just about anyone to do those jobs (and they do), In this modern military any specialized unit (SEALs, Special Forces, Rangers, and so on) have all their troops cross trained so that your demo guy can also function as your commo guy, your medic can also be your sniper. Itís the technical jobs that make you an absolute commodity. Itís the helo pilots, the pararescue and combat controllers/forward observers (non-artillery class like I was), combat crew boatmen, and even Pathfinders that are hard to replace.
If a non-combat role suits you more, chose something that will better your life in the long run. Unless you want to be a professional secretary donít chose a supply job. All branches have specialized jobs that will give you a foot in the real worlds door. Jobs like firefighting, MP, land survey, IT, and scores of others. All of them will have travel involved to some degree.
I hope this helps, PM me or let me know if I can help in any way.

p.s. Donít be scared of Korea itís actually pretty fun.

Thanks for the post.

The AF has a paratrooper/meteorologist job listed. Thought about asking the recruiter about that also.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Feb 11 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #34

How do they score the ASVAB?

To be a Air Force equivillant of a meteorologist, you must have a G-66 and E-50.

Surely those are not percentages...

This post has been edited by hckyplayer8: Feb 11 2012, 11:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Feb 13 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Feb 11 2012, 10:06 PM) *
How do they score the ASVAB?

To be a Air Force equivillant of a meteorologist, you must have a G-66 and E-50.

Surely those are not percentages...

Google is your friend...

Air Force view

--------------------

It's a work in progress!

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
drummer182
post Feb 13 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #36

I took the practice ASVAB on military. com. It was interesting. I could tell I hadn't been in school for a long time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Feb 13 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Feb 13 2012, 08:30 AM) *
Google is your friend...

Air Force view

Yeah. I found that after I asked the question. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(drummer182 @ Feb 13 2012, 09:00 AM) *
I took the practice ASVAB on military. com. It was interesting. I could tell I hadn't been in school for a long time.

So far I only took the three "short" ones.

My strengths in word and paragraph comprehension have stuck with me.

Math and arithmetic are the ones that come and go.

Not sure if the actual test has such a wide range of difficulty but those practice test do. One test I would score a 90-100 on math because the questions were fairly easy but the next I would a 60-70 because the questions are a lot harder.

I read that the recruiters offer many forms of the ASVAB.

One is the " electronic adaptive" version where you answer a question and based on your correct or incorrect answer, the next question is harder or easier.

What determines which version you get?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Feb 13 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(hckyplayer8 @ Feb 13 2012, 10:23 AM) *
I read that the recruiters offer many forms of the ASVAB.

One is the " electronic adaptive" version where you answer a question and based on your correct or incorrect answer, the next question is harder or easier.

What determines which version you get?

I can't answer this because when I took it, they came to our school with paper/scantron option.

--------------------

It's a work in progress!

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Mar 5 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #39

Going to talk to the recruiter a Thursday.

Also on the job front, got availability notices for the civil service test I took awhile ago. DCNR Seasonal Park Ranger I. Would be really pumped to get in there.

This post has been edited by hckyplayer8: Mar 5 2012, 08:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
hckyplayer8
post Mar 9 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #40

I'm right on the weight requirement line. He wants me to lose 10lbs so I am guaranteed to meet requirements at MEPS.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 12:17 AM