Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ship vs. Bridge collision, national media too busy with Pat Sajack's drinking to report this
Apologistnky
post Jan 27 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,191

Last night, around 8pm (CST), a vital transportation link between Bowling Green and Murray Ky was damaged less than 30 miles from where I live. Known locally as the Eggners Ferry Bridge, this bridge, which is part of US Hwy 68/Ky 80 corridor, spanned Kentucky Lake/Tennessee River at the Eastern entrance of the USDA Forest Service Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.

Thankfully there were no deaths or injuries from the accident, but the resulting redirection of traffic will add 60 miles to the commute to those who utilize this route and possibly mean severe economic hardship to many area businesses. Interesting side-note; an AT&T fiber optic trunk line, that ran under the bridge, was severed and has caused loss of communication and Internet service to homes, schools and businesses as far as Paducah, Murray, Benton and parts of nearby Cadiz Kentucky

Photos:
http://www.wkdzradio.com/pages/12115190.php?imageGalleryXRefId=2691934#imgXR

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Photo-Gallery-Eggners-Ferry-Bridge-collapse--138200619.html?gallery=y&img=0&c=y

Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area: http://www.lbl.org/index.html

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

The Revolution has been in effect...go get a "late pass!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jan 27 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,154

Oh my my my Apolo.....it boggles the mind to think that....just for that short
span of bridge, untold thousands of of people's lives will be affected in
so many adverse ways. Pray that it's put on the Governor's top priority
list and repairs will begin soon. Hope they don't waste critical time studying
the accident in micro-minute detail (which will probably be the case.
My sympathies and prayers for all who will be affected.....shows how
easily our lives can be disrupted with no time to prepare.
Thanks for sharing your unhappy news Apolo sad.gif

--------------------

When twilight drops her curtain down and pins it with a star,
Remember that you have a friend though she may wander far.

~L.M. Montgomery

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 27 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Jan 27 2012, 01:59 PM) *
Oh my my my Apolo.....it boggles the mind to think that....just for that short
span of bridge, untold thousands of of people's lives will be affected in
so many adverse ways. Pray that it's put on the Governor's top priority
list and repairs will begin soon. Hope they don't waste critical time studying
the accident in micro-minute detail (which will probably be the case.
My sympathies and prayers for all who will be affected.....shows how
easily our lives can be disrupted with no time to prepare.
Thanks for sharing your unhappy news Apolo sad.gif

How you doin' Missy smile.gif

The area taken out according to reports, was just over 300 feet in length. This route was only one of 3 access routes to the area in question (LBL) and only direct route to many of the recreation area sites. This bridge and it's sister bridge about 5 miles east of this one were scheduled for replacement as last portion of 20 year project that made this route a 4-lane highway from Bowling Green Ky to Murray Ky (distance 100 miles). Hopefully they'll "fast-track" the replacement bridges as both were built in 1930's for the original 2 lane highway and very narrow!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jan 27 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Jan 27 2012, 03:15 PM) *
How you doin' Missy smile.gif

The area taken out according to reports, was just over 300 feet in length. This route was only one of 3 access routes to the area in question (LBL) and only direct route to many of the recreation area sites. This bridge and it's sister bridge about 5 miles east of this one were scheduled for replacement as last portion of 20 year project that made this route a 4-lane highway from Bowling Green Ky to Murray Ky (distance 100 miles). Hopefully they'll "fast-track" the replacement bridges as both were built in 1930's for the original 2 lane highway and very narrow!

Doing great Apolo and hope you are as well... smile.gif . Despite the bad news about
your community sad.gif . I'm sure your papers will be full of nothing else for weeks..
if not months! Can't wait to see the other pictures (in the links) but I've
got two boxes sitting next to me and I need to get to the PO and mail
them off...one's going south and the other's going west.
Take care Apolo

--------------------

~L.M. Montgomery

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 27 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Some more photos of the Eggners Ferry Bridge

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 27 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,204

Appears that the vessel involved was several hundred yards off the navigable channel. Was there weather conditions taking place that would have obsucred the vessel's ability to see the channel? Did the vessel have a mechanical failure that caused it to lose steerage?

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 27 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jan 27 2012, 03:34 PM) *
Appears that the vessel involved was several hundred yards off the navigable channel. Was there weather conditions taking place that would have obsucred the vessel's ability to see the channel? Did the vessel have a mechanical failure that caused it to lose steerage?

Some wind was reported...but not excessive. Most likely high lake levels due to recent rains played major role. There are questions about lighting (marker lights denoting "commercial channel") on bridge working at that time as maintenance on them was scheduled for day following (today...Friday) accident. Ship was trying to use "recreational" boat channel...which it has been able to do in past. This ship has traversed this route for past 10+ years without incident. Nothing has been reported thus far with regards to mechanical issues on the ship, or issues regarding crew.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 27 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Jan 27 2012, 10:09 PM) *
Some wind was reported...but not excessive. Most likely high lake levels due to recent rains played major role. There are questions about lighting (marker lights denoting "commercial channel") on bridge working at that time as maintenance on them was scheduled for day following (today...Friday) accident. Ship was trying to use "recreational" boat channel...which it has been able to do in past. This ship has traversed this route for past 10+ years without incident. Nothing has been reported thus far with regards to mechanical issues on the ship, or issues regarding crew.

Which leads to the further question - Why would a commercial ship even consider using the recreational channel - EVER. The ships navigators certainly knew the level of the lake as I am certain that is one of the first items of navigation information that they are presented with when beginning a voyage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 28 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jan 27 2012, 10:30 PM) *
Which leads to the further question - Why would a commercial ship even consider using the recreational channel - EVER. The ships navigators certainly knew the level of the lake as I am certain that is one of the first items of navigation information that they are presented with when beginning a voyage.

That, mmi, IS the $64,000 question isn't it? NTSB has taken over investigation as lead authority so we shall see...I hope? I personally have the feeling that more than one cause will be touted...part mechanical ( ship, bridge lighting, etc.), part human ( error or ignorance or other...). Will keep all advised as this unfolds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jan 28 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Jan 28 2012, 01:17 PM) *
That, mmi, IS the $64,000 question isn't it? NTSB has taken over investigation as lead authority so we shall see...I hope? I personally have the feeling that more than one cause will be touted...part mechanical ( ship, bridge lighting, etc.), part human ( error or ignorance or other...). Will keep all advised as this unfolds.

Please tell me that the captain didn't stumble and fall into a lifeboat where he
glued himself to a seat and then refused to answer any questions... unsure.gif .
Sorry Apollo, you know I can't help myself... sad.gif

I really am looking forward to the captain's statements about the events as
they happened....should be verrrrrrrry inrteresting!

--------------------

~L.M. Montgomery

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 29 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #11

Attached Image

Don't take us Kentucky boys long to put old bridges to good use! YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 29 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Jan 29 2012, 09:25 AM) *
Attached Image

Don't take us Kentucky boys long to put old bridges to good use! YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!!

Where is Daisey?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jan 29 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Jan 29 2012, 09:25 AM) *
Attached Image

Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane: "I'm in hot pursuit of them Duke boys and their
piece of s#$@ orange car!"

Watch out Kentucky boy! ohmy.gif

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jan 29 2012, 03:09 PM) *
Where is Daisey?

Here she is!

Attached Image

Sure are a lot of Catherine's around.... dry.gif . My Catherine, Apollo's Katherine, and
now mm's Catherine! unsure.gif 'Course they're all purdy ladies....mine's the purdiest
(Zeta Jones) rolleyes.gif !

This post has been edited by wingsovernc: Jan 29 2012, 05:39 PM

--------------------

~L.M. Montgomery

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 29 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jan 29 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Where is Daisey?

Why you think the boat had a ac-cee-dent!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 30 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #15

Map of the area

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sagebrusher
post Jan 30 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #16

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,132

QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Jan 29 2012, 10:25 AM) *
Attached Image

I probably know the driver of that car (stunt driver Bob Havice). 10 years ago I worked at a national park and he was a volunteer there.

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 30 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Sagebrusher @ Jan 30 2012, 08:10 AM) *
I probably know the driver of that car (stunt driver Bob Havice). 10 years ago I worked at a national park and he was a volunteer there.

How cool is that smile.gif !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jan 31 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #18

UPDATE:

• Plans have been submitted by ship owner, Foss Maritime, to conduct salvage operation to clear debris from ship and move ship from accident. Pending approval from Coast Guard and NTSB, operations could begin within a few weeks at the latest.

• Divers sent down today (Tuesday) to inspect, visually, bridge piers (below water line)in area of collapsed bridge section and surrounding river floor for signs of damage and/or movement.

• Large numbers of spectators were found walking on closed bridge sections over weekend to gain close-up views of the scene forcing local law enforcement agencies to issue citations and fines for anyone venturing beyond clearly marked closure area. Officers from local Sherriff's departments (Trigg & Marshall counties) along with Kentucky State Police, will maintain presence to prevent possible injuries to sightseers.
  • Main navigational channel reopened this past Saturday to barge traffic. Coast Guard vessels are monitoring area with vessels on both sides of Eggners Ferry bridge and have created a one-mile zone both upstream and down to prevent curiosity seekers from approaching accident scene by boat.

• Local, state & federal lawmakers are exploring possible short-term solutions to address transportation issues this accident has caused. The highway in question (US 68 / KY 80 ) is the major connection for the Pennyrile and Jackson Purchase regions as well as a primary access to USDA Forrest Service Land Between The Lakes recreational area which draws over 1 million visitors a year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Jan 31 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Jan 31 2012, 10:24 PM) *
UPDATE:

• Plans have been submitted by ship owner, Foss Maritime, to conduct salvage operation to clear debris from ship and move ship from accident. Pending approval from Coast Guard and NTSB, operations could begin within a few weeks at the latest.

• Divers sent down today (Tuesday) to inspect, visually, bridge piers (below water line)in area of collapsed bridge section and surrounding river floor for signs of damage and/or movement.

• Large numbers of spectators were found walking on closed bridge sections over weekend to gain close-up views of the scene forcing local law enforcement agencies to issue citations and fines for anyone venturing beyond clearly marked closure area. Officers from local Sherriff's departments (Trigg & Marshall counties) along with Kentucky State Police, will maintain presence to prevent possible injuries to sightseers.
  • Main navigational channel reopened this past Saturday to barge traffic. Coast Guard vessels are monitoring area with vessels on both sides of Eggners Ferry bridge and have created a one-mile zone both upstream and down to prevent curiosity seekers from approaching accident scene by boat.

• Local, state & federal lawmakers are exploring possible short-term solutions to address transportation issues this accident has caused. The highway in question (US 68 / KY 80 ) is the major connection for the Pennyrile and Jackson Purchase regions as well as a primary access to USDA Forrest Service Land Between The Lakes recreational area which draws over 1 million visitors a year.

Trying to get my stupid internet connection to work.. dry.gif

Thanks for the update Apollo smile.gif . Has the captain given any interviews yet or
is he being kept "under wraps' for the moment? Does he work for FM or for
someone else?

--------------------

~L.M. Montgomery

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 31 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Jan 31 2012, 10:35 PM) *
Trying to get my stupid internet connection to work.. dry.gif

Thanks for the update Apollo smile.gif . Has the captain given any interviews yet or
is he being kept "under wraps' for the moment? Does he work for FM or for
someone else?

Was it truly the Captian of the ship that was in charge of it at the time, or was it a River Pilot with 'special qualifications' pertaining to that area.

In many specific locations, Captians turn over navigational responsibility to Pilots that have qualifications on specific local areas. Ships in Port areas are generally operated by Pilots that have specific knowledge of local hazards to navigation and the local pecularities of how the currents flow.

I would expect there would be very little, if any, damage to the bridge piers, as surprisingly, most bridges are held on the piers for the most part by gravity, and with the boat hitting the bridge only, it would have moved it right off the piers - observably, there appears to be very little damage to the vessel with the bridge draped across it's bow.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 04:15 PM