Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Describe Winter 2011-2012, Place funny pictures of the Spring I mean "Winter" 2011-2012
WEATHERFAN100
post Feb 17 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,459

The "winter" that never was
Attached File  ripwinter.jpg ( 7.69K ) Number of downloads: 0

Ollie sunburned in winter 2011-2012
Attached File  olliesfav.bmp ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 2

Attached File  imagesCA9ZAER8.jpg ( 21.13K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
-James
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Feb 17 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,491

One explanation for why winter never showed up:

Attached File  500mb.png ( 283.97K ) Number of downloads: 2

The probability of getting snow this "winter" is equal to this:

Attached File  bullseye.png ( 58.31K ) Number of downloads: 0

What posts should have at their bottom:

Attached File  post.png ( 400.75K ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Cabinetsales
post Feb 18 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,093

Love these! laugh.gif

--------------------
Christian, Husband, Father, Frustrated I-95 Corridor snow lover, 67-72 chevy trucks fan, and independent cabinet designer/sales

+Quote Post
Cabinetsales
post Feb 18 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,093

Here's my contribution...Disclaimer....I didn't create this...it was posted by one of DT's facebook fans......

This post has been edited by Cabinetsales: Feb 18 2012, 06:15 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  funny_winter_map.jpg ( 72.32K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
Christian, Husband, Father, Frustrated I-95 Corridor snow lover, 67-72 chevy trucks fan, and independent cabinet designer/sales

+Quote Post
Beck
post Feb 18 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(NYCSuburbs @ Feb 17 2012, 08:13 PM) *
One explanation for why winter never showed up:

Attached File  500mb.png ( 283.97K ) Number of downloads: 2

Uhh.....actually, we in the Southwest have had an incredibly dry rainy season this winter, it wasn't "winter" at all.....a bit more like Spring. unsure.gif

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.45" (-0.33")
Normal to-date precipitation: 0.78"
Season began July 1st, 2014.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.81"

Temecula Weather Pages

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Sep 13 2014, 04:20 PM) *
You're cute when you're whining Becky :)

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Feb 18 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Beck @ Feb 18 2012, 10:02 PM) *
Uhh.....actually, we in the Southwest have had an incredibly dry rainy season this winter, it wasn't "winter" at all.....a bit more like Spring. unsure.gif

I've definitely noticed that... although the issue this winter for the eastern US was that many H5 lows cut off near the southwestern US, even if they weren't big rain producers or just rain producers in general, which later phased in the central US and brought rain to the eastern US. Had these H5 lows progressed east instead of cutting off in the SW US or south central US, perhaps the northern Mid Atlantic and Northeast may have actually had a winter.

+Quote Post
Beck
post Feb 18 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(NYCSuburbs @ Feb 18 2012, 07:10 PM) *
I've definitely noticed that... although the issue this winter for the eastern US was that many H5 lows cut off near the southwestern US, even if they weren't big rain producers or just rain producers in general, which later phased in the central US and brought rain to the eastern US. Had these H5 lows progressed east instead of cutting off in the SW US or south central US, perhaps the northern Mid Atlantic and Northeast may have actually had a winter.

Yeah, in fact - those cutoff lows have been our main source of rainfall this entire winter, which is not a good thing as cutoff lows are very unreliable. Normally by now, we would have had at least a couple big rain-makers that produced over 1". But that hasn't happened at all this winter - that's pretty rare. February is our wettest month of the year on average, and right now most places here in California have received almost nothing all month. We're all running just below half of normal for this time in the season. And if this is all connected to the rather mild winter you guys in the Northeast/Midwest have been experiencing (which I have noticed, as I do keep track of your winters on this website), then that means we're all basically screwed for the winter, just like back in 2001-02. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Beck: Feb 18 2012, 10:22 PM

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.45" (-0.33")
Normal to-date precipitation: 0.78"
Season began July 1st, 2014.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.81"

Temecula Weather Pages

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ Sep 13 2014, 04:20 PM) *
You're cute when you're whining Becky :)

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Feb 18 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Beck @ Feb 18 2012, 10:22 PM) *
Yeah, in fact - those cutoff lows have been our main source of rainfall this entire winter, which is not a good thing as cutoff lows are very unreliable. Normally by now, we would have had at least a couple big rain-makers that produced over 1". But that hasn't happened at all this winter - that's pretty rare. February is our wettest month of the year on average, and right now most places here in California have received almost nothing all month. We're all running just below half of normal for this time in the season. And if this is all connected to the rather mild winter you guys in the Northeast/Midwest have been experiencing (which I have noticed, as I do keep track of your winters on this website), then that means we're all basically screwed for the winter, just like back in 2001-02. laugh.gif

01-02 seems to be the closest failed winter to this one, as most places also barely had any winter weather then. I've been keeping an archive of this year's pattern in the US and North America since September hoping to witness a normal winter, unfortunately I got to witness in detail how one of the worst patterns in history unfolded... Looking at my archive, it seems that California's biggest, and one of the only big rainstorms of the winter, was on 1/21, interestingly also the same date that NYC had it's only snow this winter greater than a coating. The main aspect of the pattern resulting in why it failed to bring much cold/snow, the polar vortex near Alaska and Greenland, fell apart earlier this month, but unfortunately it's done very little to improve the pattern, with still no snow in NYC and what appears to be a warm/dry pattern in California next week. Hopefully this doesn't signal a return of the old California drought, the best we can do is hope that next winter's pattern is better.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 02:48 AM