Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maw's Friday Questions...week 221, brought to you by Idee and the idee-ettes!
idecline
post Apr 12 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,866

Friday the 13th!

Welcome to the weekly Friday Questions ....and Maw says "Stay Safe and Have A great Weekend!"

Friday the 13th is considered an unlucky day in Western superstition....

The number 13 has long been considered an 'unlucky' number...whereas 12 was considered a 'complete' number..
12 hours in a day, 12 months in a year....etc. But 13 was considered 'irregular' and Norse mythology and the Last Supper (12 +1) = 13 were examples of 13 being bad luck.

Friday has been considered a 'bad luck' day dating back to the 14th century's 'Canterbury Tales'...

So combined we have Friday the 13th...date of stock market crashes and other disasters...

According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute In Asheville, NC , an estimated 17 to 21 million people in the United States are affected by a fear of this day, making it the most feared day/date in History...(sorry Mayans) dry.gif

wikipedia, Friday the 13th

So if any of you wish to abstain from answering...or just run away.....Do It Now!

Bonus Question:. What is the Latin name for fear of the number 13? (hard question...add "Frigga" to it to create the entire word for "Fear Of Friday the 13th)

#1- How many movies were made in the series 'Friday the 13th'?

#2- What was the name of the awful main character?

#3- What Heavy Metal Rock band released their debut album on Friday, Feb. 13, 1970 (in the UK)?

#4- What is the name of the cruise ship that ran aground on Friday January 13th, 2012 near Isola del Giglio?

#5- On Friday April 13th, 2012 what foreign country launched a test missile (which was claimed to contain only a satellite), that fell apart after launch and fell in the Ocean?

#6- Are you afraid of Black Cats crossing your path?
(Unfortunately Black Cats are the least adopted cats from animal shelters)

#7- Are you superstitious about walking under ladders? (as a former house-painter ..probably not a good idea anyway)

#8- Do you ever 'knock wood', throw salt over your shoulder, or other 'superstitious' activity?

#9- What is commonly missing from many high rise buildings...especially hotels?

#10- How many years bad luck for breaking a mirror does the 'superstition' say?

#11- How many cookies are in a 'Baker's Dozen'?

#12- Pythagoras had a theory called 'The Golden Ratio' (now known as the Fibonacci series...)
in which an esthetic value was found in nature and in construction and art....

Complete the sequence....1..2...3....5......8.........______?

Attached ImageAttached Image

Bonus obscure question:

#13- What was the name of the band from Austin started in 1965..."Roky Erickson and the _ _ ____ ______?

An easy one: (can't end with 13 questions...)
#14 - Name a famous sports star who wears #13 on his jersey (there are many!)?

Thanks ...and don't be afraid of Friday's or the number 13, but if you put them together..... ohmy.gif

--------------------
Perception is everything

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there". ~ Lewis Carroll

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving" ~ Lao Tzu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beck
post Apr 13 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,931

I don't know
I don't know
#3- What Heavy Metal Rock band released their debut album on Friday, Feb. 13, 1970 (in the UK)?
I don't know
#4- What is the name of the cruise ship that ran aground on Friday January 13th, 2012 near Isola del Giglio?
I don't know
#5- On Friday April 13th, 2012 what foreign country launched a test missile (which was claimed to contain only a satellite), that fell apart after launch and fell in the Ocean?

North Korea

No
#7- Are you superstitious about walking under ladders? (as a former house-painter ..probably not a good idea anyway)
No
#8- Do you ever 'knock wood', throw salt over your shoulder, or other 'superstitious' activity?
No
The 13th floor number
Seven (thanks, Stevie Wonder) rolleyes.gif
???
#12- Pythagoras had a theory called 'The Golden Ratio' (now known as the Fibonacci series...)

Complete the sequence....1..2...3....5......8.........__12__

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.37" (+0.25")
Normal to-date precipitation: 0.12"
Season began July 1st, 2014.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 2.06"

Temecula Weather Pages

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Apr 13 2012, 04:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,154

I knew you'd make them tough idee but you're really challenging me this
morning idee!
ohmy.gif

Easy..8 biggrin.gif (not counting the remake a couple years ago and the one called
Jason Goes to Heck)

Jason Voorhees

Dunno

Costa Concordia

North Korea

Nope

Nope

Not since I was a child and we avoided cracks in the sidewalk to preserve
Mom's back.

13th floor

Seven

Thirteen (although now you're more likely to get 11 dry.gif ).

Complete the sequence....1..2...3....5......8.........__13____?

(I guessed that from your drawing so it's probably wrong)

The two bonus questions I didn't know but thanks for stretching my
brain this morning idee....hope it bounces back to it's usual tiny size
by this evening!
rolleyes.gif

--------------------

You don't lose friends, because real friends can never be lost. You lose
people masquerading as friends, and you're better for it.

~Mandy Hale

+Quote Post
Maw
post Apr 13 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,971

Nice job, idee. You've raised the bar on all of us for The Questions. Super cool!

Please note that if my answers sound stupid, they really are. I answered them without googling the answers.

Bonus Question:. What is the Latin name for fear of the number 13? (hard question...add "Frigga" to it to create the entire word for "Fear Of Friday the 13th) Friggathirteen.

#1- How many movies were made in the series 'Friday the 13th'? Hmmmmm... 7?

#2- What was the name of the awful main character? Jason.

#3- What Heavy Metal Rock band released their debut album on Friday, Feb. 13, 1970 (in the UK)? Scorpians?

#4- What is the name of the cruise ship that ran aground on Friday January 13th, 2012 near Isola del Giglio? Can't remember the name.

#5- On Friday April 13th, 2012 what foreign country launched a test missile (which was claimed to contain only a satellite), that fell apart after launch and fell in the Ocean? I believe it was N. Korea.

#6- Are you afraid of Black Cats crossing your path? Not too badly.(Unfortunately Black Cats are the least adopted cats from animal shelters - so are black dogs) sad.gif

#7- Are you superstitious about walking under ladders? (as a former house-painter ..probably not a good idea anyway) Not at all. I do it just for spite.

#8- Do you ever 'knock wood', throw salt over your shoulder, or other 'superstitious' activity? Strangely enough, I do "knock on wood". Probably because my folks did it.

#9- What is commonly missing from many high rise buildings...especially hotels? A floor with the name "13th".

#10- How many years bad luck for breaking a mirror does the 'superstition' say? I believe 7.

#11- How many cookies are in a 'Baker's Dozen'? 13.

in which an esthetic value was found in nature and in construction and art.... 13???

Complete the sequence....1..2...3....5......8.........______? 13.

Bonus obscure question:

#13- What was the name of the band from Austin started in 1965..."Roky Erickson and the Lucky 13s?

#14 - Name a famous sports star who wears #13 on his jersey (there are many!)? Roy Hobbs.

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Apr 13 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 23,191

Bonus Question:. What is the Latin name for fear of the number 13? (hard question...add "Frigga" to it to create the entire word for "Fear Of Friday the 13th) friggen-triskaidekaphobia...

#1- How many movies were made in the series 'Friday the 13th'? 11 films, one TV show & 6 novels/novellas TOO MANY!

#2- What was the name of the awful main character? Betsy Palmer...Jason's "mom"

#3- What Heavy Metal Rock band released their debut album on Friday, Feb. 13, 1970 (in the UK)? Black Sabbath

#4- What is the name of the cruise ship that ran aground on Friday January 13th, 2012 near Isola del Giglio? Costa Concordia

Apollo-nesea!!

#6- Are you afraid of Black Cats crossing your path? only when they're lit!

#7- Are you superstitious about walking under ladders? (as a former house-painter ..probably not a good idea anyway) no more than walking over them!

#8- Do you ever 'knock wood', throw salt over your shoulder, or other 'superstitious' activity? only if; the wood knocks back, the salt is found to pepper instead, and Stevie Wonder is playing!

#9- What is commonly missing from many high rise buildings...especially hotels? toilet paper in the restrooms!

#10- How many years bad luck for breaking a mirror does the 'superstition' say? 7

#11- How many cookies are in a 'Baker's Dozen'? none...he ate them!!

Complete the sequence....1..2...3....5......8.........13?

Bonus obscure question:

#13- What was the name of the band from Austin started in 1965..."Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators?

#14 - Name a famous sports star who wears #13 on his jersey (there are many!)? race car driver Don Puskarich

Thanks ...and don't be afraid of Friday's or the number 13, but if you put them together.....

--------------------

The Revolution has been in effect...go get a "late pass!"

+Quote Post
harum-scarum
post Apr 13 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,048

Bonus Question:. What is the Latin name for fear of the number 13? (hard question...add "Frigga" to it to create the entire word for "Fear Of Friday the 13th)
Dunno

Jason

Black Sabbath

Costa something

N. Korea

Nope, my little Calia is mostly black and she's my shadow

Nope

Nope

13th floor

Complete the sequence....1..2...3....5......8.........__13____?

Bonus obscure question:

#13- What was the name of the band from Austin started in 1965..."Roky Erickson and the _ _ ____ ______?

#14 - Name a famous sports star who wears #13 on his jersey (there are many!)?
Dan Marino!!

--------------------
"Curiouser and curiouser!"
Kiss me baby I am SnowWhite sleeping in a coffin, waiting for you.
Here I am a rabbit hearted girl.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Don't Panic

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 14 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,866

QUOTE(idecline @ Apr 14 2012, 09:31 PM) *
Welcome to the weekly Friday Questions ....and Maw says "Stay Safe and Have A great Weekend!"

Friday the 13th is considered an unlucky day in Western superstition....
wikipedia, Friday the 13th

Bonus Question:. What is the Latin name for fear of the number 13? (hard question...add "Frigga" to it to create the entire word for "Fear Of Friday the 13th): Frigga-Triskaidekaphobia.....Apolo dry.gif

#1- How many movies were made in the series 'Friday the 13th'? 12 but I looked that up , never saw even one of the series. (5 of them were released on Friday the 13th's.) ohmy.gif

#2- What was the name of the awful main character? Jason Voorhees

Black Sabbath
#4- What is the name of the cruise ship that ran aground on Friday January 13th, 2012 near Isola del Giglio? Costa Concordia

#5- On Friday April 13th, 2012 what foreign country launched a test missile (which was claimed to contain only a satellite), that fell apart after launch and fell in the Ocean? North Korea tongue.gif

#6- Are you afraid of Black Cats crossing your path? No...love black cats

#7- Are you superstitious about walking under ladders? No. (as a former house-painter ..probably not a good idea anyway)

#8- Do you ever 'knock wood', throw salt over your shoulder, or other 'superstitious' activity? No.

#9- What is commonly missing from many high rise buildings...especially hotels? 13th floor

#10- How many years bad luck for breaking a mirror does the 'superstition' say? 7 (Stevie wink.gif )

#11- How many cookies are in a 'Baker's Dozen'? 13

Complete the sequence....1..2...3....5......8.........__13__?

Attached ImageAttached Image

Bonus obscure question:

#13- What was the name of the band from Austin started in 1965..."Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators.
(Apolo got this one also)

#14 - Name a famous sports star who wears #13 on his jersey (there are many!)? Steve Nash

Thanks ...and don't be afraid of Friday's or the number 13, but if you put them together..... ohmy.gif

--------------------
Perception is everything

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there". ~ Lewis Carroll

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving" ~ Lao Tzu

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post Apr 14 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,154

QUOTE(idecline @ Apr 14 2012, 10:43 PM) *

#1- How many movies were made in the series 'Friday the 13th'? 12 but I looked that up , never saw even one of the series. (5 of them were released on Friday the 13th's.) ohmy.gif

I deserve this one on a technicality idee...there were only 8 NAMED Friday the 13th,
the others were called something else. The last one made in 2009 was a remake
of the first one and not one in the series. Yes, I am being nit-picky but I am all
about nit-pickiness rolleyes.gif .

--------------------

You don't lose friends, because real friends can never be lost. You lose
people masquerading as friends, and you're better for it.

~Mandy Hale

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 02:52 AM