Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VP 1 Transmitter Board
Linmk2
post Jul 24 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 23

Has anyone purchased a Transmitter Board for a VP 1 from Davis. Im having issues with my VP 1. It seems to only function in direct sunlight. Once the sun moves away from the solar array, the warning "Low Battery on Station 1" appears. Very shortly afterward, the console shows dashed lines. My thought was the battery needed replacing. I removed the board. I had the console next to me. The moment the solar panel was disconnected, the system when to dashes. I looked at the board. The device was very clean, no rust ect anywhere, including the battery terminals. I put in a new known good battery and nothing. Once I plugged in the solar panel, the unit started to work. My guess is that the capacitor has failed. There was no flashing LED on the board. Davis wants $200 plus shipping for a new board. I was shocked. A few weeks ago they told me to pack up the entire VP and send it back to them along with a check for $76.00 for repairs. Now just to send me a board, the want $200. Seems very strange. It seems so much easier to send me the board and not have the hassel to packing everything and sending it to Davis. My VP was purchased in 2001, one of the first. Does it make sense to spend $200 on a 5 year old piece of equipment? Or should I opt for a new VP2. Any thoughts.

--------------------
Howard H./ Pt. Arthur, Texas
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Joseph Toubes_*
post Jul 24 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #2

Guests

I would think it is the super cap gone bad. I am too suprised that they would want that expense for a repair of the board. contact them again and ask them once more on it.

Otherwise for a bit more you could have a vp2. If you do opt for the VP2 make sure the console has been updated to the latest updates, otherwise you are going to need an updater etc...

The only problems I had with my vp1 board was that the wire antenna fell off one day. They sent me the retro kit for it and I haven't had problems with it since.

The leaf wetness sensor is a whole different cat.

+Quote Post
jaded
post Jul 25 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 549

I've had fairly similar experiences with my VP1 ISS. The 123 batteries last maybe four or five months, and then I start getting dashes at night. It seems to be worse in the winter months. I wonder if the supercaps are rated for Minnesota winters? I know electrolytics can freeze, and tantalums are very expensive, but I know nothing about the construction of supercaps other than they are shrink-wrapped and look like electrolytics.

Funny thing is I've never had a reception problem with the remote anemometer kit on my rooftop. The solar panel works all day, and whatever they've got in there holds it all night. Perhaps it's because I've got the fan aspiration kit that it's draining the juice faster on the ISS. Maybe a second solar panel would fix my problem?

--------------------
My tiny weather page for my cell phone: http://deters.dyndns.org/ww.htm

+Quote Post
tedler
post Jul 25 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 378

At $200 for a VP1 ISS Sim board, you would think it would be time to upgrade to a VP2. But you must also weigh whatever other investments you have made in your VP1...like a data logger (it may be different for the VP2's console) and any extra console units you may have purchased, like I did. They will not work with a VP2.

Just a thought. But if money is no object to you, go ahead and upgrade. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Linmk2
post Jul 25 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 23

The good news is that I have no other investment in the VP1 other than the unit itself. Up till now, while I've have some problems, they have not been huge. Stuck Humidty at 100% and a rain gauge that failed to record. The first issue, repaired under warranty, the second out of warranty, but Davis provided a small part free of charge. That's sort of why I'm shocked over the $200 part! The unit fell once when the antenna pole it was mounted rusted off. No damage. Then it got blown down in Hurricane Rita. I should say, again, the pole it was mounted on got twisted to the ground. Again no damage to the VP. Perhaps all of this abuse has finally got up with it.

--------------------
Howard H./ Pt. Arthur, Texas

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 06:58 AM