Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floating temp sensor compatibility with WMR918
johng
post Sep 20 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 471

I am thinking of purchasing the THWR288A floating temp sensor. Is this compatible with the WMR918 weather station?

I called OS, waited for a bunch of silly menus and was then told to leave a message for a callback as no agents were available. I am then told "no room for messages. Goodbye!"

So much for OS customer service. I am hoping this forum can answer my question. Thanks.

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johng
post Oct 9 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #2

I called OSI and they said (actually by voice and then again via email) that it is compatible. I ordered one and found out that it is actually NOT compatible. What you will find is that the temperature is displayed, but then refuses to update after the display is out of the "learn" mode. Needless to say I am disappointed, first that it won't work and secondly that OSI wasn't able to tell me so upfront to save me all the trouble of having to find this out for myself.

+Quote Post
johng
post Jan 12 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Since my last post, I have revisited this project. This time I was successful. What I did was to purchase the THC268 remote themo sensor and a WMR968 display unit. I attached the THC268 sensor to the backside of the spa with a piece of pink insulating foam over it. I wrote a perl script to gather the serial data from the WMR968/sensor and write it to a file. I wrote a cgi script to display the data to a web page. I have a cron job that runs every 30 minutes that will send me an email if the spa temperature is too low.

I have heard lots of people complain about the THWR288 and its apparently poor water intrusion resistance. My solution keeps the temperature sensor dry and doesn't have it contacting the water inside the spa.

I found that like the THWR288 sensor, the THC268 sensor was not compatible with the WMR918 console. Additionally, the WMR968 console does not work with any of the WMR918 sensors. Again, OSI didn't seem to know what was compatible with what.

+Quote Post
carndog
post Jan 13 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,502

QUOTE(johng @ Jan 12 2009, 11:02 PM) *
Since my last post, I have revisited this project. This time I was successful. What I did was to purchase the THC268 remote themo sensor and a WMR968 display unit. I attached the THC268 sensor to the backside of the spa with a piece of pink insulating foam over it. I wrote a perl script to gather the serial data from the WMR968/sensor and write it to a file. I wrote a cgi script to display the data to a web page. I have a cron job that runs every 30 minutes that will send me an email if the spa temperature is too low.

I have heard lots of people complain about the THWR288 and its apparently poor water intrusion resistance. My solution keeps the temperature sensor dry and doesn't have it contacting the water inside the spa.

I found that like the THWR288 sensor, the THC268 sensor was not compatible with the WMR918 console. Additionally, the WMR968 console does not work with any of the WMR918 sensors. Again, OSI didn't seem to know what was compatible with what.

Sounds cool, would you mind posting the perl script you wrote? I would like to try out making a simple web page from the data I could get from a flat file. Getting the info from the serial port is not my strong point.

Thanks

+Quote Post
johng
post Jan 16 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Sure. I'll clean up the documentation and post it probably tomorrow.

John

+Quote Post
carndog
post Jan 17 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,502

QUOTE(johng @ Jan 16 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Sure. I'll clean up the documentation and post it probably tomorrow.

John

Cool! Thanks! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
johng
post Jan 18 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #7

Here is the package of perl programs that I am using to capture the "extra sensor" temperature data. There is a readme included that should be helpful in getting it all set up.

Hmmm. Tried to upload it to accuweather, but I "am not permitted to upload this type of file."

Lets try it at http://gilbert.homeip.net/spa.zip

John

+Quote Post
Watchmaker
post Dec 8 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #8

Group: Member
Member No.: 20,063

I have the same light, "See Indoor Control Panel if flashing," flashing. I have had issue with the temp. sensors and just replaced the air temp sensor as it was not measuring properly. The air temp is now reading accurately but the light continues to flash. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 10:52 AM