Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bees in ISS unit?
radioman
post Nov 28 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 3,267

Anyone having problems with bees making a home out
of your ISS unit? If so, what did you do about it?

I was thinking (there I go again *thinking*) of wrapping
the unit with nylon screening BEFORE bees try and move
in...

Reason I ask is because of a nasty bee problem I had
two summers ago.. I had a older rain bucket hooked
to the side of a tower.. I went up 40' to service the bucket
and a not so friendly nest of hornets stunk the hell of out
my hands while I went down the tower a LOT faster
than I went up.. I was VERY VERY luckey I was not
stung lots of times in the face! You guys be carefull!

Bill (N8FIS) in Fremont, OH. www.wx.tatorz.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
°rjan
post Dec 1 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9

i have fortunately been spared for that issue here in norway, probably cause the harsh climate with scruffy vegetation and lots of air salt preventing the large development of wasps in my area.......though lots of the forumists have had the same guts that youve shown svisjing up and stumbling down.........why didnt you get that on your afv-camera......srpawski and the expert among us mr. richard hamilton, may give you the latest news among this kinda warfare.............

best of luck

°rjan
norway

--------------------

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Joseph Toubes_*
post Dec 2 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #3

Guests

if you believe they are bees, have a bee keeper move the nest, I would avoid using those wonderful wasp and hornet killer sprays that do the trick because the solvent will ruin your unit.

You could move the unit to a different location. as far as getting in the bucket unit.. fill all the lead holes with styrofoam like those damn packing peanuts with the exception of the drain holes. You could wrap the unit in a fine mesh... with the exception of the top of the bucket.. that you might want to put in screen wire in a bowl like so water doesn't splash out because of wind.

Orjan you'll like this suggestion. use a pair of pantyhose to stretch over the unit... as a test . I hear they are cheap and definitely the neighbors will show a different interest in your hobby.

:?

+Quote Post
°rjan
post Dec 2 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9

i like pantyhoses yes, esp. the molnlycke diper panty holder , for people at joes age, that will let air through!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

°rjan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Joseph Toubes_*
post Dec 2 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #5

Guests

This is way off topic, but I figure that you would like the filled with something er.. young... for a man of your tender age...

Anyway... back to the bee thing....

+Quote Post
srpawski
post Dec 3 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 28

I have found that putting a bee trap about 20 feet to either side of the unit dramatically reduces the potential for bees to decide to nest inside the unit.

You also need to contact Davis as they have started giving out rubber grommets that plug the solar/uv sensor cable hole in the base of the unit next to the tipping bucket. They will give you some on request. This prevents the bees from getting up inside and underneath the rain cone to nest. I suppose they could always choose to go down the rain funnel underneath, but I have fortunately not experienced this yet.

--------------------
Scott Pawlowski

Dell Dimension Desktop E521 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2) 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Dell Inspiron Desktop E531 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.0GHz, 512Kx2) 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Dell Inspiron Notebook E1505 Core 2 Duo T5600 (2MB/1.83GHz/667MHz) 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

HP Mediasmart Home Server EX 470 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 10:06 PM