Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weatherlink 5.7.1 and WeatherUnderground
HoosierGuy
post Sep 5 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 5,461

Ok, I got a Davis VP 2 in February. A few days ago I got
Weatherlink so I can hook my station to my PC and also try
to send info to weather underground.

So, last night I registered my station with WeatherUnderground
and also downloaded their module that is suppose to let
Weatherlink send updates to WeatherUndergournd.

Here is my problem - Weatherlink only sends updates when I have
the Weatherlink software running (a window open). When I close
Weatherlink no updates are sent.

I'm running Windows XP.

What do I do?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
°rjan
post Sep 5 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9

you have the same as me, , and the only solution , will be updating continously, or once every 2nd hour, which are i think wg's time limit ,so buy a 2nd pc and send all day long..........

°rjan

--------------------

+Quote Post
racenet
post Sep 6 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 526

(°rjan)
you have the same as me, , and the only solution , will be updating continously, or once every 2nd hour, which are i think wg's time limit ,so buy a 2nd pc and send all day long..........

°rjan

Or, purchase VWS, that will send all data packets that weren't sent to WU during the time things were down/closed. :wink:

But yes, running 24/7 sending data is the best thing to do.

+Quote Post
Fidalgo
post Oct 7 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,612

HoosierGuy, you can minimize Weatherlink and it will continue to upload, even while you are using your computer for other things. You can even download software updates at the same time or surf the net. Close the Weather Bulletin and all of the charts leaving a gray window. WL doesn't actually upload WUG data, even though the dialog indicates that it does. WUG uploads independently of WL. The only problem I have found is if you pass through a secure server, it is necessary to close and reopen WL, otherwise the uploads fail to occur. I hope this is helpful, or did I misunderstand your post?

+Quote Post
thedude11
post Mar 26 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,472

QUOTE(Fidalgo @ Oct 7 2007, 06:55 PM) *
HoosierGuy, you can minimize Weatherlink and it will continue to upload, even while you are using your computer for other things. You can even download software updates at the same time or surf the net. Close the Weather Bulletin and all of the charts leaving a gray window. WL doesn't actually upload WUG data, even though the dialog indicates that it does. WUG uploads independently of WL. The only problem I have found is if you pass through a secure server, it is necessary to close and reopen WL, otherwise the uploads fail to occur. I hope this is helpful, or did I misunderstand your post?

Same problem here, WL closes on its own, unpredictably. I minimize it, but it continues to close on its own. What is VWS? Should I return WL 5.7.1 for another software?

--------------------
www.earlywarningweather.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
Mark / Ohio
post Mar 26 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 49

QUOTE(thedude11 @ Mar 26 2008, 07:52 PM) *
....What is VWS? Should I return WL 5.7.1 for another software?

No, VWS requires the datalogger that came along with WeatherLink. Here's a link to Ambient Weather who sell VWS (Virtual Weather Station). It's like WeatherLink on steroids. wink.gif

http://www.ambientweather.com/virtualstation.html

This post has been edited by Mark / Ohio: Mar 26 2008, 10:27 PM

--------------------
Mark

Davis Vantage Pro I Wireless

+Quote Post
thedude11
post Mar 27 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #7

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,472

I have installed the StartWatch program (for keeping programs running) but how do you find out (in the port monitor options) the Address and Port? Please let me know for all that know where to find this.... Appreciate the help!!! smile.gif

In the address box I assumed it was WeatherLink......probably not. Let me know. Thanks.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by thedude11: Mar 27 2008, 11:06 AM

--------------------
www.earlywarningweather.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
Mark / Ohio
post Mar 28 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 49

QUOTE(thedude11 @ Mar 27 2008, 12:04 PM) *
I have installed the StartWatch program (for keeping programs running) but how do you find out (in the port monitor options) the Address and Port? Please let me know for all that know where to find this....

To monitor WeatherLink all you need is the program listed and the settings configured in the "Options", "Program" settings.

I currently only use the port monitor options to monitor the output of my VirtualVP program to control when to startup the weather software connected to my weather station through it. The port number(s) that can be monitored (for VirtualVP) are shown right on VirtualVP. (How to do that is mentioned the StartWatch user guide.) Note though that it can only monitor TCP/IP ports, not physical ports like COM 1, COM 2, etc. that are on your computer indicating the USB or Serial port that your weather station is connected to.

One thing though I was going to do with StartWatch but had forgot about until you mentioned the port monitor was to monitor my internet connection with it. Thanks for jarring my memory. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mark / Ohio: Mar 28 2008, 08:33 PM

--------------------
Mark

Davis Vantage Pro I Wireless

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 11:31 AM