Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FAQ: Models, Z-Time, etc., What is Z-Time? How To Read Model? 06&18Z?
WeatherMatrix
post Jan 25 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #21

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

Please continue to post model interpretation links here. Note that there is a different thread about Model Times and a different thread on where to find Models.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jdc123
post Feb 12 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #22

Group: Member
Member No.: 11,923

I was searching for some how-to's on reading the GFS etc and stumbled on this simple description. It's VERY basic but I thought if someone else was just starting to learn like me, it could be useful.

Step1
Download NCEP Weather Model and Forecast site. On there you will see a number of options. We are focusing on the GFS and NAM.

Step2
The GFS is a long range model, going out to over 300 hours. The NAM is used in the shorter term going out 84 hours. On each one you will see O Z, 6Z, 12Z and 18Z. This is the time they run the model, each runs four times a day.

Step3
Scroll down the page and click on an hour. The best option is to click on fine and then the 850 MLB and 6 hr Precip. A map should then appear.

Step4
On that map there will be a number of graphics, but if you are searching for a storm look for green. The amount of precip is broken down by color. As you move from light green to blue to purple that represents light to heavy precip.

Step5
If you are seeking out a snow storm, you must look for the O line. It will be a blue line labeled 0. If any blue line is to your south and precip is showing up that will likely be something in the frozen state. The orange line is heat and means rain.

Step6
Scroll through the models and check out what the week will bring.

--------------------
“There is no such thing as perfection. But, in striving for perfection, we can achieve excellence.”
Vince Lombardi.

+Quote Post
lyra
post Jul 15 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #23

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,655

nice shot men....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 07:43 AM