Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BLIZZARD OF 79, anyone who remembers the bliz of 1979
Removed_Member_baltimore_big_daddy_*
post Jan 14 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #1

Guests

i remember i was 12 years old, and on the news, they said" maybe some light snow, maybe an inch or 2",... well what haoppened was, the storm hit the coast and bombed out big time, and baltimore county( where i live), got 17 inches in 5 hours for a total of 22, which is incredible. well i stayed up all night watching it, and it snowed sooo hard. you know, till this day i still havent seen it snow as hard as it did on feb 18th-19th 1979. it was awesome, and that is was got me hooked on the weather. since then ive went to college for meteorology, atmosphereic science, and climate, but never finished ( because of bad advice from and ex wife lol) and now im a welder but still love the weather. well thats my memorie of the bliz of 79:)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_baltimore_big_daddy_*
post Jan 15 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE(baltimore_big_daddy @ Jan 14 2008, 10:53 PM) *
i remember i was 12 years old, and on the news, they said" maybe some light snow, maybe an inch or 2",... well what haoppened was, the storm hit the coast and bombed out big time, and baltimore county( where i live), got 17 inches in 5 hours for a total of 22, which is incredible. well i stayed up all night watching it, and it snowed sooo hard. you know, till this day i still havent seen it snow as hard as it did on feb 18th-19th 1979. it was awesome, and that is was got me hooked on the weather. since then ive went to college for meteorology, atmosphereic science, and climate, but never finished ( because of bad advice from and ex wife lol) and now im a welder but still love the weather. well thats my memorie of the bliz of 79:)

any specific weaher event get you all hooked of snowstorms?

+Quote Post
PAULEY
post Jan 18 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,327

I REMEMBERED THE BLIZZARD OF 79 VERY WELL I WAS 12 YEARS OLD AND LIVED IN THE CHICAGO AREA,IWAS SEEING ON TV WINTER STORM WARNING ON TV FOR ALMOST 30 HRS, I WAS WATCHING THE STORM FROM THE START AND THEN CONTINUED OVERNIGHT WHEN I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING IT WAS STILL SNOWING VERY HEAVY BY THIS TIME WE WERE AT AROUND 2 FEET OF HEAVY WET SNOW IT SNOWED FOR ANOTHER 6 HRS AND WE GOT ANOTHER 4 INCHES TOTAL SNOW FALL WAS AROUND 28-30 INCHES OF SNOW, THE WORSE THING ABOUT THIS I HAD TO HAND SHOVEL MY DRIVEWAY I WAS SHOVELING OVER 2 FEET OF VERY WET SNOW I HAD TO SHOVEL LAYER BY LAYER IT TOOK ME HOURS ,BUT THE DANGEROUS PART ABOUT THIS STORM WAS THE VIVID LIGHTING AND CRASHING THUNDER THAT OCCURED, I WAS AMAZED AT THE TIME, I NEVER THOUGHT AT THAT TIME I WOULD SEE LIGHTNING, THE LIGHTNING WAS SO INTENSE I HAD TO STOP SHOVELING WHEN A LARGE TREE CAME DOWN IN MY DRIVWAY FROM A LIGHTNING STRIKE ,NOW I HAVE A TREE TRUNK IN MY DRIVEWAY AND TWO FEET OF SNOW WE CALL FOR TREE SERVICE AND THE TREE GUY CANT EVEN GET UP OUR DRIVWAY, THEY SENT ONE PERSON TO PICK UP THE TREE AND I WAS HELPING HIM I SPENT ALL MORNING AND ALL AFTERNOON ON THIS STORM AND THE BLIZZARD OF 79 IS THE ONE I WILL NEVER FORGET ................................PAULEY

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 29 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,204

I remember the 79 Blizzard. I had gone from my home near Gibson Island to supervise some employees at Halethorpe at the shift reporting time of 1600 hours. It was snowing lightly during the trip to Halethorpe. After all the employees reported and began their tour of duty I left to return home, it being a Sunday afternoon. I intended to return to Halethorpe to supervise the Midnight shift reporting....I couldn't get out of my community as there was about 10/12 inches on the ground by that time and there was no plowing done in the community.

Plows finally got to the community Monday night and plowed our street in error, living on a double ended cul-de-sac road with an entry road in the middle between the cul-de-sac's the plow driver made the wrong turn in attempting to plow out a Volunteer Fireman that lived on the other end of the street. After the snowing and blowing stopped, I was unable to view my wifes car that was parked on the street in front of the house...it was totally drifted in and there wasn't even a bump to indicate it's location. As I recollect it took almost all day Tuesday to dig out the cars.

The following Friday the wife and I flew to Daytona Beach to move my fathers personal effects back to Maryland after his passing in January 1979. A long, long week.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 08:30 AM