Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Daily Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Weather Discussions, Daily forecast discussions for the United States
loafer1989
post Jan 17 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,279

It's doing absolutly nothing outside here at 7:45pm and it's 28F. The radar does not look all that impressive to me and this storm looks to be a nuisance at best.

--------------------

2013 / 2014 Season snowfall total: 69.5 "

Total 2012/2013 Snowfall: 102.7"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 17 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,314

I will not be posting my evening update until the 00z NAM model comes out. Sorry for any inconvenience.

--------------------
Connor Chown
E-mail: connorchown@hotmail.com
Weather website: http://weatheronthego.bravejournal.com/

"It's like catching lightning..."
-High School Musical 3: Senior Year (Song: Can I Have This Dance?)

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 17 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(loafer1989 @ Jan 17 2008, 07:54 PM) *
It's doing absolutly nothing outside here at 7:45pm and it's 28F. The radar does not look all that impressive to me and this storm looks to be a nuisance at best.

I do think tonights and tomorrows storm will be a nuisance for all of Connecticut. I think Coventry will only get a slushy inch of snowfall accumulations from now through 2 AM. The storm will start off as snow, though briefly, in all of Connecticut and then it will quickly change to rain by very early tomorrow morning. You may even get less than an inch of snow.

Northwestern Maine could see 6 to 12 inches with this storm. Great news for your ski trip next week. The snow in Northern Maine will likely not melt for quite some time with very cold air expected later this weekend through at least early next week.

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
loafer1989
post Jan 17 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,279

It just started snowing very lightly, but it's already sticking and it's 28.8F.

Thanks for the information on Maine, this snowfall will improve the conditions alot.

--------------------

2013 / 2014 Season snowfall total: 69.5 "

Total 2012/2013 Snowfall: 102.7"

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 18 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #25

AFTERNOON DISCUSSION...

Sorry I didn't post last evening. I was really tired and I had 2 tests today that I had to prepare for. To make it up to you, I am going to be posting 3 discussion on this post tonight.

Last nights and todays storm has lifted out of the Northeastern United States and is heading towards the Canadian Maritimes as of this writing. Roads were slick in spots this morning, especially in New England, where a mixture of snow, sleet, freezing rain and plain rain fell.

Expect partly cloudy to mostly clear skies across much of the Northeastern United States tonight. Lows will be in the teens, 20's, 30's and 40's expected across the region tonight.

Saturday starts of partly to mostly sunny across much of the Northeast, with increasing clouds likely later during the afternoon. Expect highs in the teens, 20's, 30's and 40's region-wide. Those clouds are all in advance of a POTENTIAL (significant) snowstorm for at least the I-95 corridor. Models trended more west with this storm a couple of days ago and even continued that trend yesterday morning. Then, they trended more eastward and continue to show an eastward track as of this writing. There have been several posts under the forum page Jan. 19-20 Northeast Snowstorm Possibilities regarding in how the storm could move up the East Coast. The posts are saying that the moisture from the storm in the Gulf right now is in a different position than what the models are saying. They also say that the arctic front is slowing down, which would allow the Gulf storm to move up the East Coast. This gives me reason to believe this storm COULD affect at least parts of the I-95 corridor tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. I do not completely believe that this storm is going to move up the East Coast, but there is the potential for it to. In my third and final post under this forum page tonight, I will post POTENTIAL impacts from this storm for all of the states in the Northeast.

Behind this potential storm, expect a blast of very cold arctic air to move into the Northeast on Sunday, with highs in the teens below zero for some of the higher elevations. teens, 20's and 30's should be found across the rest of the Northeast. The Pats game will LIKELY be VERY COLD. The very cold arctic air accompanied with a bluster northwesterly wind will help to create frigid conditions. Expect winds chills below zero across much of New England and in the single digits and teens for the remainder of the Northeast.

Next week looks a BIT stormy at this time. A weak disturbance will throw at least some light snows on Tuesday and then again on Thursday. No real big storms are currently in the forecast for next week. Just COLD and a BIT snowy.

Please stay tuned to later forecasts!

E-Mail: connorchown@hotmail.com
My weather website: http://weatheronthego.bravejournal.com/

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_baltimore_big_daddy_*
post Jan 18 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE(blizzardfan @ Jan 18 2008, 07:31 PM) *
AFTERNOON DISCUSSION...

Sorry I didn't post last evening. I was really tired and I had 2 tests today that I had to prepare for. To make it up to you, I am going to be posting 3 discussion on this post tonight.

Last nights and todays storm has lifted out of the Northeastern United States and is heading towards the Canadian Maritimes as of this writing. Roads were slick in spots this morning, especially in New England, where a mixture of snow, sleet, freezing rain and plain rain fell.

Expect partly cloudy to mostly clear skies across much of the Northeastern United States tonight. Lows will be in the teens, 20's, 30's and 40's expected across the region tonight.

Saturday starts of partly to mostly sunny across much of the Northeast, with increasing clouds likely later during the afternoon. Expect highs in the teens, 20's, 30's and 40's region-wide. Those clouds are all in advance of a POTENTIAL (significant) snowstorm for at least the I-95 corridor. Models trended more west with this storm a couple of days ago and even continued that trend yesterday morning. Then, they trended more eastward and continue to show an eastward track as of this writing. There have been several posts under the forum page Jan. 19-20 Northeast Snowstorm Possibilities regarding in how the storm could move up the East Coast. The posts are saying that the moisture from the storm in the Gulf right now is in a different position than what the models are saying. They also say that the arctic front is slowing down, which would allow the Gulf storm to move up the East Coast. This gives me reason to believe this storm COULD affect at least parts of the I-95 corridor tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. I do not completely believe that this storm is going to move up the East Coast, but there is the potential for it to. In my third and final post under this forum page tonight, I will post POTENTIAL impacts from this storm for all of the states in the Northeast.

Behind this potential storm, expect a blast of very cold arctic air to move into the Northeast on Sunday, with highs in the teens below zero for some of the higher elevations. teens, 20's and 30's should be found across the rest of the Northeast. The Pats game will LIKELY be VERY COLD. The very cold arctic air accompanied with a bluster northwesterly wind will help to create frigid conditions. Expect winds chills below zero across much of New England and in the single digits and teens for the remainder of the Northeast.

Next week looks a BIT stormy at this time. A weak disturbance will throw at least some light snows on Tuesday and then again on Thursday. No real big storms are currently in the forecast for next week. Just COLD and a BIT snowy.

that was a nice post blizzard

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_baltimore_big_daddy_*
post Jan 18 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE(blizzardfan @ Jan 18 2008, 07:31 PM) *
AFTERNOON DISCUSSION...

that was a nice post blizzard

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 18 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #28

9:10 P.M. ET UPDATE...

First of all, I wanted to let you know that I started a forum page with BRAVENET (the same service with my weather website). The forum page is about the East Coast U.S. Weather. You can post your own forecast and opinions on the forum. I will be posting my own updates and discussions as well. I will still be posting updates and discussions on both the AccuWeather forums and my weather website. The link to the BRAVENET forum is listed on the bottom of this post.

Nothing much to update since my afternoon discussion today. I have been reading some of your posts on the potential storminess next week, in which you said that could be a big storm or two. I said in this afternoon's discussion that next week's storms would be weak one's. I still think the Tuesday one is going to be weak, but the later in the week one could be big. Please stay tuned to later forecasts.

I will post more on tomorrow's storm POTENTIAL around 10:30 or 11:00 ET tonight.

My e-mail: connorchown@hotmail.com
My BRAVENET weather forum: http://pub40.bravenet.com/forum/3421594514

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 18 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #29

10:57 P.M. ET UPDATE...

Latest indications are that the Southern storm is going to miss us to the south. I was planning on posting POTENTIAL storm impacts for all of the states in the Northeastern United States in this update, but since it looks like the storm is going to miss us, I am not going to. This storm may move up the coast, but it looks like right now that it won't. Please stay tuned to later forecasts.

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 19 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #30

AFTERNOON DISCUSSION...

The storm that everybody on these forums have been talking about over the past couple to a few days is going out to sea, as I see it right now. Places like DC, NYC and Cape Cod & the Islands may get a dusting to an inch of snow out of this storm as it brushes by the Northeast coast, but I don't see any huge effects from this storm for you snow lovers in the Northeast. Sorry, but maybe you'll get you're shot at snow next week (hopefully).

The arctic front that people have been talking about on this forum slowing down and not moving at a fast rate is actually a pretty powerful front. If this front weren't as powerful as it is right now, then I would be calling for a significant Northeast snowstorm for this afternoon/this evening. But, since this arctic front is so powerful, it will probably push the storm out to sea, with little if any effects for areas in the Northeast. Things could change, as all of you know whether can change in an instant, but as I see it right now, this storm is going to have minimal effects on the Northeastern United States.

What may enhance the snowfall, especially in New England and parts of upstate New York, is the powerful arctic front. Locally heavy snowfall is expected anywhere in New England and upstate New York late tonight/early tomorrow morning. Some areas may pick up locally 2 or 3 inches of snow just with the arctic front alone. Lets say those places in the Northeast listed in the first paragraph get an inch of snow with the coastal low and then another 2 to 3 inches on top of that, that would mean 3 or 4 inches of snow. It isn't a lot of snow, but at least areas MIGHT get some snow that they want.

One things for sure...tomorrow is going to be a downright frigid day across all of the Northeastern United States. The arctic front, as advertised in the paragraphs previous to this one, is going to drop temperatures dramatically in the Northeast tomorrow and on Monday. Highs tomorrow will be in the single digits below zero (higher elevations), single digits above zero, teens above zero and 20's above zero across all of the Northeastern United States. Some areas might get to 30 degrees on Monday, but it is still going to be pretty cold. What makes matters worse for those of you who do not like the frigid temperatures in the biting Northwesterly winds. Gust over 25 or 30 mph may be found in at least some spots in the Northeast both Sunday and Monday, creating wind chills below zero or just above zero in many spots. BUNDLE UP! Oh, and, GO PATS!

Some locations also might see a few snow showers on Sunday, which might be locally heavy, early in the day.

Expect partly to mostly sunny skies region-wide on Monday, with the bitterly cold temperatures continuing to wreak havoc across the Northeast.

Things get interesting as we head into Tuesday, as a clipper system looks like it is going to bring at least some light snows to much of the Northeastern United States. If this storm can dig into the jet stream and/or tap at least some Gulf of Mexico moisture, then we would be talking about secondary development. Some indications are that the secondary development scenario is going to take place. This forecast is still not set in stone yet, so please stay tuned to later forecasts.

There is also the potential for whatever type of storminess we see on Tuesday to stall as we head towards at least early Wednesday morning. This part of the forecast is still not set in stone either, so please stay tuned to later forecasts.

It currently looks like a weaker system is going to bring light snow to at least some of the Northeast as we head towards the Thursday timeframe.

NEXT DISCUSSION... 6:00 P.M. ET TONIGHT!

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 19 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #31

7:35 P.M. UPDATE...

Sorry this update is out later than planned. I have been doing chores and homework as well as eating dinner for the last couple of hours. Sorry for any inconvenience!

I will be posting one more update tonight after this one. I will be answering any questions through this forum page and through my e-mail through 11:00 P.M. ET tonight.

Now to the update...

The storm that has been talked a lot about on this forum over the past couple to a few days is mainly going out to see. A few light snow showers and/or flurries can be expected for Greater Southern New England, including Southeastern Massachusetts. Expect a dusting to POSSIBLY an inch of snow in Southeastern Massachusetts tonight.

An arctic front will bring the chance of occasional scattered snow flurries/snow showers/snow squalls to inland sectins of New England tonight and early tomorrow morning. Expect 1 to POSSIBLY 2 inches of snow locally with the frontal snow showers.

That arctic front will bring very cold (frigid) conditions to all of the Northeastern United States tomorrow and Monday, with the coldest of the two days likely being tomorrow. Highs tomorrow will be in the single digits below zero, single digits above zero, teens above zero, and 20's above zero region-wide. HIghs on Monday will be in the single digits above zero, teens above zero, 20;s above zero and 30's above zero region-wide. Accompany those actual cold air temperatures with a gusty Norhwesterly wind, and you got yourself a wind chill, which most areas will see wind chills below zero in the Northeast tomorrow.

There is a chance of some type of winter storm come Tuesday. Details still aren't etched in stone yet, so please stay tuned to later forecasts. I do think some areas, preferably in New England, will see in excess o f 6 inches of snow with the Tuesday storm.

A weak and cold area of high pressure moves into the region on Wednesday with mainly dry conditions currently expected.

Another storm, though probably weaker, looks like it will affect the region on Thursday.

Once again, I will be posting one more update tonight. Answering questions through 11:00 P.M. ET tonight.

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 21 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #32

AFTERNOON DISCUSSION...

From now on, I am going to be posting discussion for the entire Northeastern United States on this forum. If there is a way to re-name the title of a forum, please leave instructions below. There might not be, though. Thank you!

Sorry I didn't post any updates yesterday on this forum and on my weather website. I was studying for finals (UGH!) and doing chores (again) so I was basically busy all day yesterday. Although, I did manage to post some questions/comments about tomorrow's storm on the forum titled Jan. 22nd East Coast Snowstorm Possibilities. Sorry for any inconvenience!

I want to congratulate the New England Patriots with going 18-0 (and POTENTIALLY going for 19-0...a.k.a. perfect season). I am not a huge football fan, in which I barely watch football, but when I do I watch the Patriots games. Each game I have watched has shown lots of hard work, which shows that they deserve where they are at at this point in the 07-08 NFL football season. I do tend to occasionally catch game highlights on ESPN or NESN. There are also many other great NFL football teams out there, in which they also work hard, but its just when I watch a Patriots game, it just seems like there is a lot of effort put into these games. I also have to hand it off to Bill Belicheck, the Pats' head coach, for working effortlessly with his team. I hope the Patriots continue to strive to go for that perfect season, and we'll find out in two weeks who wins this season's superbowl...either the New England Patriots or the New York Giants. GO PATS!

Now to the weather...

It was pretty cold at Gillette Stadium yesterday. Hopefully the fans who went to the stadium to watch the game put some type of layer(s) on to help keep warm, because it was cold.

That cold air is continuing to wreak havoc across the Northeastern United States, in fact pretty much the entire Eastern third of the United States, as an Arctic Blast comes in from Canada and brings along with it bitterly cold temperatures on top of the wind chills which make feel even colder.

Highs today will be in the single digits, teens, 20's and 30's across the Northeast today. BUNDLE UP! Along with the cold air, like yesterday, a biting Northwesterly wind is creating wind chill values below zero in many spots in the Northeast and the Midwest today, especially in New England for the Northeast and in the Upper Midwest. In fact, the wind chill value got to -30 degrees in the town of Van Buren, Maine this morning. That is a sure sign that arctic air is invading the Northeast.

The only precipitation anybody in the Northeast is going to find today is upstate New York, preferably closer-to-the-lake(s) cities, where the arctic front is allow for lake-effect snows to crank up. Some areas may see over 6 inches of snow with this lake-effect event today. With the snow and the biting Northwesterly winds, expect blowing and drifting snow today.

If any other people from the Northeast are looking for snow in the near future, your time may be tomorrow. I say MAY BE because some areas in the Northeast will see mostly rain with this event tomorrow afternoon/evening/night.

Here is tomorrow's event in the best details I can give you...

A clipper system/front will move north of the Northeast U.S., into say Quebec, Canada as a new secondary low pressure system, though it looks like it will be weak, is going to form off of Long Island. There are still some uncertainties with the track and strength of this system, but here is what it looks like as of this writing...

After the low form off of Long Island, it will move into a north and some-what northeast direction, taking a track either over or just near Nantucket, Massachusetts. This will allow warm air to pump in from the Southwest, which would mean rain for most if not all of the Northeast U.S. Coastlines, the only exceptions are the New Hampshire seacoast and the coast of Maine, including Downeast Maine. Those areas that do see the rain eventually may start off as snow, though brief, before the changeover occurs. Areas, in New England, say North and West of Boston have the potential to stay all snow, though accumulations look like they will be light to MAYBE moderate(in localized spots). Also, what needs to be determined is where the heaviest snow bands set up, which right now, in New England, it looks like anybody from Northwestern Massachusetts to Southern Vermont, Southern New Hampshire and downeast Maine have the POTENTIAL to see the heaviest snow band.

HERE IS WHAT I AM LOOKING AT FOR LOCALIZED SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS AND STORM IMPACTS ACROSS THE NORTHEAST U.S. WITH THIS TUESDAY EVENT...

NYC: Brief burst of snow to mainly rain; dusting to an inch
TRENTON, NEW JERSEY: Brief burst of snow to mainly rain; about an inch
TOMS RIVER, NEW JERSEY: Brief burst of snow to rain; D-1"
ALBANY, NEW YORK: Snow, which may be steady at times; 1-3"
SCHENECTADY, NEW YORK: Snow, light to moderate; 1-2"
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT: Snow to mix and MAYBE plain rain; about an inch
DANBURY, CONNECTICUT: Snow to mix and MAYBE plain rain; about an inch
PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND: Snow to mix and MAYBE plain rain; around an inch
BARNSTABLE, MASSACHUSETTS: Brief bust of snow to plain rain; a dusting of snow
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS: Snow to mix (maybe plain rain for a time); 1-2"
WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS: Snow, light to moderate; 1-3"
PORTSMOUTH, NEW HAMPSHIRE: Snow, light to moderate: 1-3"
NASHUA, NEW HAMPSHIRE: Snow, light to moderate; 2-4"
CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE: Snow, light to moderate; 2-4"
LACONIA, NEW HAMPSHIRE: Light to MAYBE moderate snow; 1-3"
NORTH CONWAY, NEW HAMPSHIRE: Light snow; dusting to an inch
RUTLAND, VERMONT: Snow, light to moderate: 2-4"
BURLINGTON, VERMONT: Light snow; dusting to an inch
PORTLAND, MAINE: Snow, light to moderate; 2-4"
BANGOR MAINE: Snow, light to moderate; 2-4"

Please correct me if you think I am wrong about any of these accumulations. I will adjust the, if needed, in my evening update tonight.

Early clouds on Wednesday will give way to partly to mostly sunny skies with another shot of arctic air expect to last from Wednesday through Friday. The coldest day over the next seven may very well be this coming Friday. There might be some ocean effect snow for the coast, especially Cape Cod on Thursday with generally light snow expected inland.

There is the POTENTIAL for some type of storminess next weekend. Someone on the forum page titled Jan. 22nd East Coast Snowstorm Possibilities posted a model map showing the POTENTIAL for a clipper to re-energize itself as it makes its way off the East Coast.

Evening update coming around 7:00 P.M. ET tonight!

(I will not be posting weather updates on my weather website today!)
My BRAVENET weaher forum: http;//pub40.bravenet.com/forum/3421594514

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Jan 21 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #33

EVENING UPDATE...

No revisions need to be made since my afternoon discussion!

Although, there are some indications that I will have to up my snowfall accumulations that I posted this afternoon in my discussion. If there is anything urgent to add to this forecast between now and 10:00 P.M. ET tonight, I will post under this forum page that urgent message, if needed. If not from now through 10:00 P.M. ET tonight, than I am planning on posting an update early tomorrow morning, around 6:30 A.M. ET!

Lets hope the models trend towards a better track for this Tuesday storm for areas to see the snow that they need. Hey, maybe by the time I post my update early tomorrow morning, a big daddy storm may be in the works for this Tuesday storm. Don't doubt it, you never know.

Have a great night!

(I will not be updating my weather website through this coming Friday due to midterms. Sorry for any inconvenience!)

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post
blizzardfan
post Feb 16 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #34

Hey everybody...
I am back posting forecasted discussions for the Northeast...preferably New England...under this thread. If you have any questions or comments about any of what I post...please either reply back under this thread or send a message through the PM. Thank you.

UPCOMING STORMS I SEE IN THE FUTURE FOR THE NORTHEAST...

Sunday/Monday Storm: This storm is going to be all rain for the I-95 corridor. There is going to be mostly rain for the rest of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic with this storm, with just a little bit of icing mixing in. There is the potential for a lot of rain with this event. Some spots could see in excess of 3 inches of rain...which would be a cause for concern for flooding. The most likely areas to see the worse flooding are areas where there is a deep(er) snow pack and where the heaviest rain falls. Please stay tuned to later forecasts.

Wednesday Storm: This storm is going to be weak as a clipper moves through and bring areas of light snow to the Mountains of the Northeast. No effects from this storm in other areas. Please stay tuned to later forecasts.

Thursday through Sunday Storm: There is real potential for this to be a big snowmaker along parts of the I-95 corridor and New England. Here is what I currently see happening... Throughout Thursday and Friday there are going to be several waves of low pressure rippling along a front, bringing moisture along with them from the Gulf of Mexico. There seems to be a blocking high which would help to keep the cold air from lifting northward and prevent any storminess from moving pretty fast. Then...we have a potential coastal storm for the weekend. Those details are not ironed out yet...so please stay tuned to later forecasts.

Here is my latest snowfall map for the Thursday through Sunday storm...

Attached File  Prolonged_Snowstorm_Event_Possibility.bmp ( 1.26MB ) Number of downloads: 16

--------------------
Connor Chown

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 02:34 PM