Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> INTRODUCE YOURSELF: New Members, Welcome to the Canadian Weather Forums!
Astronomer
post Mar 9 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #61

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,308

QUOTE(Jody @ Mar 9 2008, 09:06 PM) *
Hi from Port Stanley, Astronomer....

Have you seen any Aurora's lately? SpaceWeather says that a solar stream hit the earth yesterday causing magnificent auroras, but I have yet to see any myself. I will go out and check, it was clear earlier.

What about the sun are you studying?

Hi Jody,

No auroras lately - it's been mostly clouds, though the lunar eclipse was awesome! I have seen many dozen auroral displays over the past few years, two of them covering the entire sky. The Sun is just emerging from the quietest point in its 11 year cycle. Activity should start to increase in the next year or two. I've been observing solar prominences on the limb of the sun in my hydrogen-alpha (Ha) telescope. This instrument blocks out all light except for a very narrow strip in the red end of the spectrum. Most features of the sun visible in this wavelength are in the layer of the Sun's atmosphere called the Chromosphere. I've been lucky enough to see three flares occur in real-time. Other interesting features are filaments, spicules and plage. When Sunspots occur, that's when things get really, really interesting! Check out http://www.coronadofilters.com/QuickGal/index.php for many images of the sun in Ha light.

Cheers,

- Craig
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Weather X
post Mar 9 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 13,145

QUOTE(Astronomer @ Mar 9 2008, 09:54 PM) *
Hi Jody,

No auroras lately - it's been mostly clouds, though the lunar eclipse was awesome! I have seen many dozen auroral displays over the past few years, two of them covering the entire sky. The Sun is just emerging from the quietest point in its 11 year cycle. Activity should start to increase in the next year or two. I've been observing solar prominences on the limb of the sun in my hydrogen-alpha (Ha) telescope. This instrument blocks out all light except for a very narrow strip in the red end of the spectrum. Most features of the sun visible in this wavelength are in the layer of the Sun's atmosphere called the Chromosphere. I've been lucky enough to see three flares occur in real-time. Other interesting features are filaments, spicules and plage. When Sunspots occur, that's when things get really, really interesting! Check out http://www.coronadofilters.com/QuickGal/index.php for many images of the sun in Ha light.

Cheers,

- Craig

How does sun activity affect the weather here on Earth. What can a solar flare do to the weather? When do solar flares occur? Are they predictabale?

+Quote Post
Astronomer
post Mar 9 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 14,308

QUOTE(Weather X @ Mar 9 2008, 11:03 PM) *
How does sun activity affect the weather here on Earth. What can a solar flare do to the weather? When do solar flares occur? Are they predictabale?

Hi again Jody,

The Sun is the engine that drives our weather. Its energy interacting with our atmosphere and the resulting cycle of heating and cooling are what drives and fuels the weather that we experience. Without the Sun, there would be no weather on Earth! Proof of this was the "Maunder Minimum", a period of rare no-sunspot activity on the Sun between 1645 and 1715. This resulted in a period of long winters and is referred to as a mini-ice-age. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_minimum.

Solar flares do not really effect our weather, but the explosion of charged particles can cause major auroral displays (I saw a flare in real time a few years ago. I did a rough calculation of the time that the particles would take to reach earth, and predicted a major auroral display. It was an amazing show, and right on time), power blackouts, disruption of satellite functioning and orbits, and accelerated corrosion in oil and gas pipelines. Predictability is a relative thing. We know that they coincide with increased solar activity and specifically with active regions of the Sun. Appearances and frequency of flares rises on a curve that parallels the solar cycle. In the short term, we can see the markers for the potential of a solar flare, and there are several of them that are that are predictive of an imminent occurrence. One of them is when an emerging sunspot bumps into an existing sunspot of opposite polarity (I saw this in real-time, as did a friend), another is the appearance of a rapidly growing active region.

Cheers,

- Craig

+Quote Post
weatherrat
post Mar 10 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 14,322

Hi I am Rick I live in Windsor ont I like severe weather and snow storms

+Quote Post
stormcentre
post Apr 11 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 14,643

Name is Mark, news camera guy covering news and severe weather all over ontario.......monitors emergency services on scanners as well, covers all types of news, specialize in severe weather.

+Quote Post
roymac
post Apr 20 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #66

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,610

Hi to all:]
Roy from Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. I Enjoy all seasons, weather today is 19 degrees with lots of sunshine.
Cooler weather suppsedly moving in from the west. Introductions from all is a great idea.

Take it easy.

--------------------
Roy M. McMillan

+Quote Post
klmweather.com
post Apr 22 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 14,287

QUOTE(stormcentre @ Apr 11 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Name is Mark, news camera guy covering news and severe weather all over ontario.......monitors emergency services on scanners as well, covers all types of news, specialize in severe weather.

Hi Mark - are you a freelance or you work for a station? For extreme Toronto weather, visit my site:

www.TorontoForecast.com

+Quote Post
shar
post May 8 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 13,217

Hi,
I'm Sharlene and I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. It's only been the last couple of days that it's started to feel like spring here, even though there's oodles of flowers out. The wind has been really chilly.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  cherry_blossoms.JPG ( 36.53K ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Annikki
post Sep 16 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 15,748

I'm Annikki and I live in Victoria BC on Vancouver Island! MY favorite season is Fall.

+Quote Post
Cards
post Oct 22 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 14,068

Hello Everyone, My name is Anthony and I'm from Stoney Creek, just outside of Hamilton. my favorite season is Winter by far, cant wait for the first big snowstorm

+Quote Post
hawkestoner
post Nov 15 2008, 07:25 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 16,154

Hi.. my name is Gord and I am from Hawkestone, Ont. I live in the heart of the snow belt. I don't mind some snow but it gets a little tiring after the 3rd or so roof clearing. My favorite season is definitely spring when I get to watch all the snow melt.

+Quote Post
thumbelina
post Dec 2 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 13,932

Hi My name is Kim. I live in Hamilton Ontario. I love snowstorms & thunderstorms. I pray for snowstorms as I get a snowday off work when they are bad enough..Bring them on! I use this site for storms coming..It's pretty accurate!..Better than TWN. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jack Frost
post Jan 11 2009, 03:46 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 16,868

Hi!
My name is Jack
I live in Montreal, Quebec
I love winter! (though I may grumble about it once every while... biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Dave_182
post Jan 30 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 17,229

Hey! The name's Dave, from Montreal. I enjoy music, sports, girls, weather etc...

I love a good snowstorm.

I stumbled upon this place 2 days ago and have concluded that it is much more accurate than TWN and even EC. Cheers!

+Quote Post
Toronto4
post Feb 2 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 15,800

Hello everyone. My name is Michael and I enjoy all four seasons in Toronto. But winter is my favourite season.

I enjoy sports, especially basketball and baseball.

+Quote Post
antimatter
post Feb 22 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 17,661

Hi all,

Antimatter here from P.E.I. Lovely sunny day at the moment but tonight we may/may not be expecting a big/middle/small/none storm with wind/snow/ice pleets/rain or maybe not.

Depends on the source of info.

Any clues, let me know!

+Quote Post
klps
post Feb 25 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 17,674

Hi everyone. My name is Kevin I live in Ottawa. Own a landscape company and we also clear residential laneways. I love tracking systems. Just learning all the maps and stuff. See you out there!!!

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_gen_*
post Feb 27 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #78

Guests

I am new at this.
My name is Gen
I live in St.Stephen New brunswick

+Quote Post
TJ Schulte
post Mar 7 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 13,616

I'm not new but ever since I've added Southern Ontario to my weather blog I've been coming here frequently. I live south of Toledo about 10 minutes from the Lake Erie shores and once or twice a summer sail up from Port Clinton to Leamington and go to Pelee Island about 4-6 times a year.

--------------------
NW Ohio's First Poster

Weather Blog

+Quote Post
canada
post Mar 8 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 14,559

i am from southern bc not much snow less than we normally get

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 01:49 PM