Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> BLizzard of March 1-3, 1980, In Eastern North Carolina
Weather Wizard
post Jan 25 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,449

I remember this storm very well, I was living in the Eastern part of North Carolina then, were I lived in Wayne Co., we had 20 inches, and even had thunder snow, this was one of the biggest snow storms I had ever saw in North Carolina, they called it a Eastern North Carolina Blizzard.

http://raleighwx.easternuswx.com/March1980.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Weather Wizard
post Jan 25 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,449

Yea, I was 18 when the storm hit, I remember something funny durning the storm, me and my brother went out at night when the snow still coming down to check out the snow drifts and how deep they were, when out of the blue, the sky lit up and a load clap of thunder right over our heads, I looked around at my brother and all I saw were foot prints making their way back to the house as fast as he could run, I was right behind him, that's the first time we had ever seen thunder and lighting in a snowstorm and it scared us pretty good.

+Quote Post
LeGrosB
post Jan 26 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,202

QUOTE(Weather Wizard @ Jan 25 2008, 09:10 PM) *
Yea, I was 18 when the storm hit, I remember something funny durning the storm, me and my brother went out at night when the snow still coming down to check out the snow drifts and how deep they were, when out of the blue, the sky lit up and a load clap of thunder right over our heads, I looked around at my brother and all I saw were foot prints making their way back to the house as fast as he could run, I was right behind him, that's the first time we had ever seen thunder and lighting in a snowstorm and it scared us pretty good.

Here in south Louisiana, we remember even just a few flakes flying around for years. March 1, 1980, I was a freshman at LSU in Baton Rouge and out on a date. Came out of restaurant after dinner to find that it was snowing. It only lasted about 1/2 hour with no accumulation, but I remember being surprised not only because it was snowing but also because it was March. Usually, by March, we are well into spring.

Oddly enough, April 7, 2007--the day before Easter last year--it sleeted almost all day at my house in rural Lafayette Parish, Louisiana--at 30 degrees north, 92 degrees west--unbelievable--frozen precipitation in April about 30 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 07:21 PM