Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Political Conventions
Political Conventions
Should there continue to be Political Conventions to select candidates for President?
Yes [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
No [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
mmi16
post Feb 8 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,204

Being an old phart, I can recall the time when the Political Conventions of both partys were a process to actually nominate a candidate by the actions of the convention, and not on the 1st ballot of the convention. These days, all you hear from both parties is that the 'Front Runner' must be decided well before the convention.....Question - If you already have the acclaimed Candidate why even bother with the sham of a Convention.

For my 2 cents worth, as long as we have the Primary/Caucus system that is presently in place, why even bother with the expense of a convention.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mmi16
post May 10 2008, 03:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,204

Bump!

So now that we have the 'presumptive' candidates, why spend the money for the Conventions....everything will have been decided long before the gavel falls to open the first session.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post May 10 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,489

QUOTE(mmi16 @ May 10 2008, 04:24 AM) *
Bump!

So now that we have the 'presumptive' candidates, why spend the money for the Conventions....everything will have been decided long before the gavel falls to open the first session.

It does seem kind of silly, doesn't it? Save the money for other stuff...like TV adds. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
raughammer
post May 10 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,542

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Feb 8 2008, 01:17 AM) *
Being an old phart, I can recall the time when the Political Conventions of both partys were a process to actually nominate a candidate by the actions of the convention, and not on the 1st ballot of the convention. These days, all you hear from both parties is that the 'Front Runner' must be decided well before the convention.....Question - If you already have the acclaimed Candidate why even bother with the sham of a Convention.

For my 2 cents worth, as long as we have the Primary/Caucus system that is presently in place, why even bother with the expense of a convention.

Oh i dont know, the candidates always a "bump" after their conventions. So someone is paying attention to the conventions. Plus i like hearing all the speeches and what not.

I like all the pomp and circumstance.

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 02:24 AM