Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weather Dreams/Goals?
Marty Moose
post Feb 11 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 11,937

Didn't really know where to post this...so I thought I'd try here...

Anyone out there have any weather dreams or goals they'd like to achieve someday? I've always wanted to spend a winter's night in the observatory at the top of Mount Washington, NH. Just once, I'd like to hear 100 mph+ winds howl, and to see the snow fly!

I know that the folks at the observatory give tourists the opportunity to spend the night there..but right now the excursion is just a bit out of my price range...and I haven't worked up the nerve!

Maybe someday...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thundercloud
post Feb 12 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 6

Me, I'd love to experience first hand the right front quadrant eyewall of a cat 5 hurricane. 'Course that'll never happen, so I'll settle for an 1888 blizzard repeat.

--------------------
Artie/NY
B.S. in Meteorology
Daily Hi/Lo & Precip will be posted here: http://thundercloud82.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
Ryan Hall
post Feb 14 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,690

I've always wanted to see a waterspout, although I am only 13 years of age I have saw a blizzard, tornado, flash flood, and even witnessed a small earthquake when I was 6... But never have I saw a waterspout, So I guess that could be a dream/goal xD
I want a job for the NWS as well laugh.gif

--------------------
__>[FPML]<**Floyd, Pike, Martin, And Letcher Counties Local Weather Station**
The 13 Year old Weatherman ;]
Kentucky Weather

+Quote Post
TXHeat
post Feb 14 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,702

Drive my truck inside the middle of a mile wide tornado...THAT would be freaky.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_OHweather2_*
post Feb 16 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #5

Guests

I have already experienced a:
Flash flood
Tornado***missed my house by about 100 yards...luckily it was only an F2 and there were a lot of trees between it and my house...the street behind me was A MESS!
a microburst...I estimated the winds to around 80-100MPH...a lot of trees down
Lightning striking my neiboars yard...
2+ feet of snow in April...twice in the last three years...one of those storms was April 23-25th!!!
and even a small earthquake about 8 months ago...
Next on my list...
a hurricane...
and
a meteorology job somehwere eventually...

+Quote Post
stormchaser1287
post Feb 25 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,269

Hmm...

I think my 3 main goals are #1 - Catch and succesfully film a F-5 tornado.#2 - Catch the first F-6 tornado(even though right now I would settle for any severe weather.lol.and # 3 - settledown and get a job for one of the local Indianapolis TV stations in the Meteorology department.

--------------------
For pictures and footage of severe weather shot by my stormchase team & I,as well as forecasts for severe weather events log onto The SWIFT Website

+Quote Post
met_student_ashl...
post Mar 12 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,339

right now? i just dream of surviving my climatology term project and my chemistry class for my met major! tongue.gif

I would love to see big hail. BIG hail. I live in an elevated area in the NE, so when a storm comes, it normally breaks up just before it reaches us.

id like to work somewhere in the NE with my meteorology major eventually...but lets just go for that A in synoptics first...haha

+Quote Post
weather_boy2010
post Mar 12 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,275

Well, I have a few things that I would like to see in my life sometime and things I would like to do.

1. Become a meteorologist at the National Weather Service
2. See hail larger than golf ball sized, in person
3. See a tornado in person

The city I live in actually had #2 and #3 already happen, but, well, here, I will tell a little story quickly about that day...

That day, we were under a moderate risk for severe thunderstorms and they were forecasting a few F4-F5 tornadoes. Well, a massive supercell developed and hit our city and supercells were continously hitting us for about 8 hours. We were in tornado warnings for 8.5 hours straight and ended up with something like 14 inches of rain in that 8 hours. That was the most intense storm I've ever lived through. My best friends house was hit by lightning that night and it caused something like $20,000 worth of damage to their house.

+Quote Post
SkyWarnF5
post Mar 24 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,134

I chase every season in tornado alley for 2wks in may , well for the past 3yrs.Anyway i haven't seen an F-5 yet ,,but my chance are good,i want to witness a earthquake6.0 or greater i want to be in cat 5 eyewall.and want to goto the summit of Mt. Washington in the heart of winter, and witness reg.temp of -50 . oh yea,, and see an active volcano.

--------------------
It is measured in terms of such things as wind, temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, cloudiness, and precipitation. In most places, weather can change from hour-to-hour, day-to-day, and season-to-season. Climate is the average of weather over time and space. A simple way of remembering the difference is that climate is what you expect (e.g. cold winters) and ‘weather' is what you get (e.g. a blizzard)

+Quote Post
familyonbikes te...
post Mar 27 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,375

OK - I'll admit I'm a bit of an oddball here, but my weather dreams involve lots of sunshiny days with wind at my back. While out touring on our bikes last year, we dealt with headwinds from heck, torrential downpours, bitter cold, and blazing heat. We rode through a thunder storm when we couldn't stop or we risked death (as long as we stayed on the bikes we were safe due to the rubber tires).

I guess what I'm saying is that I've dealt with enough bad weather - and my dream would be to somehow manage to ride our bikes from Alaska to Argentina and NOT have to deal with it again. (Like that's gonna happen given that it's going to take us around 2 1/2 years to get down there - but I can dream can't I?)

--------------------
Follow along as we cycle from Alaska to Argentina - familyonbikes.org

+Quote Post
HurricaneGirl
post Apr 11 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,143

I want to be on a stormchasing team and be the photographer / video-ographer. cool.gif

--------------------
Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

+Quote Post
SnowMan11
post Apr 13 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,017

Report the Weather in a Major Blizzard

smile.gif

--------------------
Winter =)

+Quote Post
TiffyTerror87
post May 23 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,860

I would love to chase tornadoes someday....that would be a very awesome experience. smile.gif

--------------------
]Can't wait until mine & my husband's bundle of joy arrives around May 4, 2011!!! :)

+Quote Post
stormchaser1287
post May 29 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #14

Alright,one of my goals/dreams accomplished.My chase team and I succesfully intercepted and filmed the EF-5 that went through Parkersburg,Iowa this weekend!It was about 1 mile or so wide at that point.So now I just need the first EF-6 and a degree in Meteorology!LOL!

--------------------
For pictures and footage of severe weather shot by my stormchase team & I,as well as forecasts for severe weather events log onto The SWIFT Website

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post May 29 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #15

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,489

I'd love a re-do of the Blizzard of 96...only if it happens when my husband isn't working, otherwise he'd be out in it, and I'd be too worried to enjoy the snow!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wxdude1964
post May 29 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,395

QUOTE(stormchaser1287 @ May 29 2008, 01:41 AM) *
Alright,one of my goals/dreams accomplished.My chase team and I succesfully intercepted and filmed the EF-5 that went through Parkersburg,Iowa this weekend!It was about 1 mile or so wide at that point.So now I just need the first EF-6 and a degree in Meteorology!LOL!

Great job on filming that EF5 tornado! I wanted to be a meteorologist myself, but it seems its not in the cards. I do Skywarn Spotter for the NWS and am a member of CoCoRaHS, and do chase in my spare time. I'd like to see a EF5 myself someday.

--------------------
Snowfall 2007-2008 season-11.4 inches
Snowfall 2008-2009 season-13.1 inches
Snowfall 2009-2010 season-68.6 inches
Snowfall 2010-2011 season-19.5 inches
Snowfall 2011-2012 season-16.5 inches.
Snowfall 2012-2013 season-25.9 inches.
Snowfall 2013-2014 season-41.1 inches.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_ilovesnow2007_*
post May 29 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #17

Guests

Well my dream and goal is related to weather and one that I hope, wish and plan to accomplish with alot of hard work, desire and passion.

The dream starts off with attending Millersville State University in 2009 or 2010. Taking Meteorology as my major! After finishing school, and furthering my education that I have self taught myself for the past 20 years ,to open my own Private Weather Forecasting Office.

And Bringing Weather Back To Reality is my first in between step towards this dream and this goal!

+Quote Post
ChiWxWatcher
post Jun 8 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,447

My weather dream would be to experience a blizzard. I love snow! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by msweather: Jun 8 2008, 07:03 PM

--------------------
June 7th-My First Tornado.
Formerly msweather!
Well I don't quite trust the...

*Never Accurate Model (NAM)

or

*Even Crazier Model With Foolishness. (ECMWF)

(J/K)

Members I love:
1:Joe/Chicago Storm ----->The one with the most posts...he's great!
2:MissMarisia:She's a great mod!
3:Jesse/WeatherMatrix:Great Moderater and blogger.

If you don't mind voting for me....

+Quote Post
stormchaser1287
post Jun 20 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(wxdude1964 @ May 29 2008, 03:48 PM) *
Great job on filming that EF5 tornado! I wanted to be a meteorologist myself, but it seems its not in the cards. I do Skywarn Spotter for the NWS and am a member of CoCoRaHS, and do chase in my spare time. I'd like to see a EF5 myself someday.

It was awesome...Even though after seeing all the devestation i'm not sure I would ever wish for another one.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 10:18 PM