Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MAPS OF REGIONS For This Forum, Reopened For Discussion But No Short Term Plans
jwilson
post Feb 24 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,330

Ok, here is a map of much of the Northeastern quarter of the country. Maybe this will clear up some confusion in regards to people referring to the Northeast/New England/Mid-Atlantic.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL MAP, JUST THIS PERSON'S OPINION. SEE BELOW FOR OFFICIAL MAP

Attached Image

As you can see, the Northeast is the M/A and New England combined.

Main website is here: http://wxrisk.com/

--------------------
Philadelphia Sports Blog -- click

2010 Snowfall: T
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_AR_
post Feb 24 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,146

Official region map of the U.S. Census Bureau:

More on US Regions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regio...e_United_States

This post has been edited by _AR_: Feb 24 2008, 11:35 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Feb 24 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

For the purposes of this forum, however, things are split up differently, mostly because of population, not necessarily state or other borders. Maybe I should draw up a map of these.

We split up storms into three regions due to high traffic:

1. Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/I-95: Anything from D.C. northward, N. VA, WV MD, PA, NJ, NY, New England
2. S. VA & Carolinas: Southern, non-populous area south of D.C., North & South Carolina
3. Midwest/Great Lakes/Ohio Valley: Anything from IA/IL/MO eastward through KY, stops at PA/WV border

We can start additional regions, but right now there isn't enough traffic to warrant it.

This was a decision made initially by me, but also by votes that we had on the forum.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
VAweathermom
post Feb 24 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,315

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Feb 24 2008, 09:07 PM) *
These are the regions that I have been using in the titles of the posts in the Current Weather - U.S. Forum:

This is based partially on state borders and partially on population -- we want to have everyone in populous areas talking about the storm at the same time, so for example, most of the time we talk about "I-95 & Northeast" meaning anyone from D.C. Northeastward.

I'm pretty sure this is the right thing to do, though I'll take suggestions...

Hi Jesse:

I live about 150 yards from the MD state line (Potomac River) in King George, VA. I work just outside of D.C. in MD. I tend to be most interested in the forums for DC/north as my husband and I are from PA and travel that way to visit family and to ski in the winter - almost every weekend. My question - Should I not post my observations from my backyard on these (NE) forums because of where I live? I would think my observations would be pertinent to DC/north when systems are coming up from the south.

+Quote Post
lovesnow
post Feb 25 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #5

From: Glen Allen VA (Southern - Mid-Atlantic - I-95 corridor)
Member No.: 12,503

Thanks Jwilson and Jesse for the clarifications. However, I live in Richmond, which, according to both maps is mid atlantic. However, I'm never included in the 'mid-atlantic' discussions, it's always DC north to Boston. And that includes Henry's area descriptions. It's actually very frustrating. Also, one more clarification. Initially you defined S. VA and the Carolinas.....including non-populous areas of VA. Are Richmond, Fredricksburg and Norfolk (area) really 'non-populous?'

Thanks

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Feb 26 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Admin

QUOTE(lovesnow @ Feb 25 2008, 11:30 AM) *
Thanks Jwilson and Jesse for the clarifications. However, I live in Richmond, which, according to both maps is mid atlantic. However, I'm never included in the 'mid-atlantic' discussions, it's always DC north to Boston. And that includes Henry's area descriptions. It's actually very frustrating. Also, one more clarification. Initially you defined S. VA and the Carolinas.....including non-populous areas of VA. Are Richmond, Fredricksburg and Norfolk (area) really 'non-populous?'

Thanks

What I was going for is that the southern-tier counties and coastal counties of VA are probably more like NC weather. Maybe that was a bad idea, maybe Virginia should be strictly mid-Atlantic.

In any case, in the case of a storm like today's storm, where there is near-zero chance of winter precip south of DC, a topic will not be opened on the storm for the mid-Atlantic. If you wanted to open a topic on the rain in the mid-Atlantic, I wouldn't have a problem with that I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tick629
post Feb 26 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #7

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 12,063

i think that the current regions are good but that people from one region (for example mid atlantic) should be allowed to post obs pertinent to the current storm in another thread (northeast).

--------------------

+Quote Post
_AR_
post Feb 26 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,146

The major problem we have is I-95 connecting New England and the Mid Atlantic. But we can split that up. When we say, "The mid-atlantic and I-95" people need to understand that that refers to the I-95 corridor in the Mid Atl only. And the same for New England. Really, we can't regulate this in discussion anyway, as people will always say things based on their own opinions of where these regions are.
In my opinion, this discussion is useless.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dawgnkitten
post Mar 2 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,664

I live in the extreme northeastern part of georgia. I understand that I should be in the southeastern, or southern thread, but there's no one to answer questions on that thread. So where should I look for my answers. Usually on HM's blog he mentions the ne and carolinas. On Frank's blog he does mention ga, but in regards to the different storms coming through this coming weekend, I'd like to have the forums' answers too. Thanx

--------------------

Just having fun in FL...miss it at times, especially the gorgeous sunsets...taken on 7/14/11
Live for today, for yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is a distant dream of hope
Many will come into your life, a few will leave their footprints, and a couple will break your heart.
Love is the source of all things-Good and Evil. @---}---

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Mar 2 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,489

I think one thing I notice is that people don't realize that "Northeast" is supposed to include the Mid-Atlantic...I often see these terms used exclusive of one another. I almost get the impression from people talking that Northeast is anything north if PA/NJ southern borders. The mid-Atlantic covers MD, DE, VA, WV with the Southeast starting at NC.

For example:

New England is just that: VT, ME, NH, MA, CT, RI
Northeast: NY, NJ, PA and New England
Mid-Atlantic: MD, DE, VA, WVA & DC
Southeast: NC, SC, GA

I, personally, have never considered the Northeast to encompass the mid-atlantic, so that is where I get confused. I do understand why it is like that, however.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_BigN_Sega_Snow_Champion88_*
post Mar 2 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE(dawgnkitten @ Mar 2 2008, 11:13 AM) *
I live in the extreme northeastern part of georgia. I understand that I should be in the southeastern, or southern thread, but there's no one to answer questions on that thread. So where should I look for my answers. Usually on HM's blog he mentions the ne and carolinas. On Frank's blog he does mention ga, but in regards to the different storms coming through this coming weekend, I'd like to have the forums' answers too. Thanx

Well if there's going to be wintry precipitation for Georgia, then Henry or Frank will mention it. If he doesn't say anything, then there's probably no chance of it happening.

I know when I see a wintry chance in the Southeast in March, I always comment on it!

If anything you can always private message me about it, and I'll look into it for you!

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_BigN_Sega_Snow_Champion88_*
post Mar 2 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE(missmarisa @ Mar 2 2008, 04:13 PM) *
I think one thing I notice is that people don't realize that "Northeast" is supposed to include the Mid-Atlantic...I often see these terms used exclusive of one another. I almost get the impression from people talking that Northeast is anything north if PA/NJ southern borders. The mid-Atlantic covers MD, DE, VA, WV with the Southeast starting at NC.

For example:

New England is just that: VT, ME, NH, MA, CT, RI
Northeast: NY, NJ, PA and New England
Mid-Atlantic: MD, DE, VA, WVA & DC
Southeast: NC, SC, GA

I, personally, have never considered the Northeast to encompass the mid-atlantic, so that is where I get confused. I do understand why it is like that, however.

Well that's a little incorrect.

New England: New York State has to be included in that region. While I know Long Island's weather is way different than Boston for instance, you cannot exclude Glens Falls and Saranac Lake from New England weather.

Upper Mid Atlantic: PA, NJ, MD, DE, DC, WV

Lower-Mid Atlantic: KY, TN, VA, NC, SC, northern Georgia (mountainous terrain and Atlanta)

Southeast: MS, AL, rest of GA, FL

South Central: TX, LA, AR, OK, MO, KS

Great Lakes: lake part of WI, MN, MI, IN, OH, IL

Northern Plains: rest of WI, ND, SD, NE, IA

+Quote Post
dawgnkitten
post Mar 2 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,664

QUOTE(BigN_Sega_Snow_Champion88 @ Mar 2 2008, 04:46 PM) *
Well if there's going to be wintry precipitation for Georgia, then Henry or Frank will mention it. If he doesn't say anything, then there's probably no chance of it happening.

I know when I see a wintry chance in the Southeast in March, I always comment on it!
If anything you can always private message me about it, and I'll look into it for you!

Thanks, I appreciate it

--------------------

Just having fun in FL...miss it at times, especially the gorgeous sunsets...taken on 7/14/11
Live for today, for yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is a distant dream of hope
Many will come into your life, a few will leave their footprints, and a couple will break your heart.
Love is the source of all things-Good and Evil. @---}---

+Quote Post
heatmiser
post Mar 2 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,618

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Feb 26 2008, 08:32 AM) *
What I was going for is that the southern-tier counties and coastal counties of VA are probably more like NC weather. Maybe that was a bad idea, maybe Virginia should be strictly mid-Atlantic.

In any case, in the case of a storm like today's storm, where there is near-zero chance of winter precip south of DC, a topic will not be opened on the storm for the mid-Atlantic. If you wanted to open a topic on the rain in the mid-Atlantic, I wouldn't have a problem with that I guess.

I'd agree that all of VA should be considered mid-Atlantic (and for that matter, so should Maryland and perhaps DE)...It's pretty frustrating to be lumped in with the Northeast, when we almost always have entirely different winter weather scenarios down this way. When the posting volume heats up, we tend to get drowned out by the "yanks".

Thanks

--------------------
PSU Alum

+Quote Post
Tornado_lover
post Mar 2 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,681

i say dont make two cuts in minnesota and just include it in the great lakes region

--------------------
Future meterologist

+Quote Post
AlwaysPreferSnow
post Mar 2 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,697

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Feb 24 2008, 09:07 PM) *
These are the regions that I have been using in the titles of the posts in the Current Weather - U.S. Forum:

This is based partially on state borders and partially on population -- we want to have everyone in populous areas talking about the storm at the same time, so for example, most of the time we talk about "I-95 & Northeast" meaning anyone from D.C. Northeastward.

I'm pretty sure this is the right thing to do, though I'll take suggestions...

I was wondering if you ever considered a more fine-grained approach to organizing the threads in the "Current Weather - United States" Forum? (Maybe the use of sub-forums based on geographic area (or "regions" as we refer to them here).)

It might be too late for this Winter season, but perhaps maybe before the next?

It is probably very noticeable (and annoying! mad.gif ) to me since this Winter has been an absolute bust here in the NYC-metro area (and basically all of I-95 coastal), and has seen record-breaking snow falls in almost all of mid-NE and above.

I believe that the contrasts have been even starker this Winter, but I think a case could be made that the 2 basic groups:

- NE: Maine, VT, NH, Mass, and NY (minus the area below the imaginary line that runs from the PA-NY border over to the CT-MA border)

- MidAtl: CT, PA, NJ, MD, DE, and NY (minus the area above the imaginary line that runs from the PA-NY border over to the CT-MA border)

have distinctly different climates.

As such, it would seem to make 2 separate (sets of) threads for these 2 separate climates, for a given storm. (In my mind "Northeast & I-95" is just way too large of a sack to stuff so many heavy rocks into!)

Of course, another way to split out the climates could be to establish a "Inland Northeast" and "Coastal Northeast." I've been wondering what everyone's thoughts on this may be.

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Mar 3 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,489

QUOTE(AlwaysPreferSnow @ Mar 2 2008, 10:48 PM) *
I was wondering if you ever considered a more fine-grained approach to organizing the threads in the "Current Weather - United States" Forum? (Maybe the use of sub-forums based on geographic area (or "regions" as we refer to them here).)

It might be too late for this Winter season, but perhaps maybe before the next?

It is probably very noticeable (and annoying! mad.gif ) to me since this Winter has been an absolute bust here in the NYC-metro area (and basically all of I-95 coastal), and has seen record-breaking snow falls in almost all of mid-NE and above.

I believe that the contrasts have been even starker this Winter, but I think a case could be made that the 2 basic groups:

- NE: Maine, VT, NH, Mass, and NY (minus the area below the imaginary line that runs from the PA-NY border over to the CT-MA border)

- MidAtl: CT, PA, NJ, MD, DE, and NY (minus the area above the imaginary line that runs from the PA-NY border over to the CT-MA border)

have distinctly different climates.

As such, it would seem to make 2 separate (sets of) threads for these 2 separate climates, for a given storm. (In my mind "Northeast & I-95" is just way too large of a sack to stuff so many heavy rocks into!)

Of course, another way to split out the climates could be to establish a "Inland Northeast" and "Coastal Northeast." I've been wondering what everyone's thoughts on this may be.

Interesting...but like we always see on the forums....the "border" areas will bicker over which side of the fence they belong on. LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
delta_queen
post Mar 3 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,439

oh gosh. I log in every day to the forums. I always stumble around. Where do I belong? sad.gif I am interested in threads from the Ozarks to MEM to Central MS. Granted that those three areas don't create much winter weather news, but I see ice coming my way! Where can I go yap about it? When there is the potential of tornados - same question? Where is my home on this forum?

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Mar 4 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #19

Admin

QUOTE(delta_queen @ Mar 3 2008, 11:52 PM) *
oh gosh. I log in every day to the forums. I always stumble around. Where do I belong? sad.gif I am interested in threads from the Ozarks to MEM to Central MS. Granted that those three areas don't create much winter weather news, but I see ice coming my way! Where can I go yap about it? When there is the potential of tornados - same question? Where is my home on this forum?

I think the rule should be:

Any time that there is a storm that will only affect one state, feel free to open a new topic on it, but if you can file it with an ongoing region, then do that.

I would consider Arkansas and certainly Mississippi to be in the "Southeast" (no offense to folks from Arkansas), because Louisiana is generally considered to be there, and because the typical severe weather outbreak will spread eastward from LA & AR.

For a winter outbreak that might end in Arkansas, I guess I would say that you should open a new topic... this winter the storms have started in Missouri and those folks have talked on the Midwest topics, but clearly Arkansas is too far south for that. If there were a storm in the Southern Plains moving east into Arkansas, reply in the Southern Plains thread (except those never exist because no one from there is reading blink.gif)

All of this said, I'm not going to stop someone in a "crossover" state like Arkansas or Kentucky from starting a topic on their own. I just don't want us to have 12 threads for every state in the Southeast when there is a severe weather outbreak.

--------------------

+Quote Post
delta_queen
post Mar 4 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,439

Thanks J.

Your explanation helps. Last Super Tues when all the tornados were marching across Arkansas, it wasn't hard to find which forum to join for quick and astute help. Today there is snow on the ground for the first time this season! I suppose I could start start a new thread if I were inclined to give observations about our snowfall.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 07:08 AM