Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MAPS OF REGIONS For This Forum, Reopened For Discussion But No Short Term Plans
steve_s
post Mar 4 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,069

Here's my 2 cents.

We have issues with threads growing so BIG that it takes a long time to weed through posts. Would it not be more beneficial to split up the Northeast and make the threads more particular to the exact region? For example. Rather than a Northeast thread, make a New England thread AND a mid-atl thread.

For myself, if I'm interested in finding out what a particular storm is going to do IN MY AREA, it takes forever to find details on that within a Northeast thread, whereas it would be much easier in a Mid-Atl thread. Naturally I get curious about other regions as well, but in such cases it's not hard to simply click on that region's thread, right?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fourseasons
post Mar 4 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,022

QUOTE(BigN_Sega_Snow_Champion88 @ Mar 2 2008, 04:59 PM) *
Well that's a little incorrect.
New England: New York State has to be included in that region. While I know Long Island's weather is way different than Boston for instance, you cannot exclude Glens Falls and Saranac Lake from New England weather.

Upper Mid Atlantic: PA, NJ, MD, DE, DC, WV

Lower-Mid Atlantic: KY, TN, VA, NC, SC, northern Georgia (mountainous terrain and Atlanta)

Southeast: MS, AL, rest of GA, FL

South Central: TX, LA, AR, OK, MO, KS

Great Lakes: lake part of WI, MN, MI, IN, OH, IL

Northern Plains: rest of WI, ND, SD, NE, IA

IMO, it is not a good call to have MD and DC in a separate thread from VA... at least not Northern VA. It is all commonly referred to as the "DC Metro" because of the HUGE commute in this area. I live and work in Northern VA, just about 10 miles south of DC. Others commute 2-3 hours in every direction to get to the DC Metro for work. What happens in that three hour commute radius has a domino affect on ALL of the surrounding highways and commuter streets. Case in point... the 9 hour gridlock from iced over fly-overs in Springfield VA, just 5 minutes from my house, that we had a few weeks ago. It snarled traffic all over the metro area because everyone who wasn't stuck had to find SOME way to get around it. It is simply too entwined in MD/DC/VA to split them. Whether they belong in Mid-Atlantic or NE, they should definitely not be in different regions.

--------------------
Please... share the love... bring me some snow this winter! Just one good snowstorm... just one.

+Quote Post
AlwaysPreferSnow
post Mar 5 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,697

QUOTE(steve_s @ Mar 4 2008, 10:32 AM) *
Here's my 2 cents.

We have issues with threads growing so BIG that it takes a long time to weed through posts. Would it not be more beneficial to split up the Northeast and make the threads more particular to the exact region? For example. Rather than a Northeast thread, make a New England thread AND a mid-atl thread.

For myself, if I'm interested in finding out what a particular storm is going to do IN MY AREA, it takes forever to find details on that within a Northeast thread, whereas it would be much easier in a Mid-Atl thread. Naturally I get curious about other regions as well, but in such cases it's not hard to simply click on that region's thread, right?

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly. "I-95/NE" is just too big of a sack to stuff so many heavy rocks into.

It is obvious that there are enough active posters from both regions to support a useful discussion in each of the separate Forecast and Observation threads.

+Quote Post
SnowWisher
post Sep 10 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,542

I know this isn't the proper forum for asking about regions, but I was wondering what region East Tennessee is considered to be in when predictions are being made. I read earlier that there is a forum that addresses regions, but I couldn't locate it. Thanks so much. Laura

+Quote Post
Chicago Storm
post Sep 10 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,697

QUOTE(SnowWisher @ Sep 10 2008, 04:25 PM) *
I know this isn't the proper forum for asking about regions, but I was wondering what region East Tennessee is considered to be in when predictions are being made. I read earlier that there is a forum that addresses regions, but I couldn't locate it. Thanks so much. Laura

This is about how it is.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Sep 10 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #26

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

The original thread on regions didn't state it but yes, TN is considered Southeast.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
SnowWisher
post Sep 12 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 13,542

Thanks for clarifying, guys. One Farmer's Almanac has us as SouthEast, and another had us as Deep South.

Laura

+Quote Post
Snowjunkie
post Feb 20 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 12,659

I for one don't think Virgina should be considered a Mid ATL state. I hate it when I hear of a possible storm in the mid atl only to find out that they are talking about Penn, NJ Delaware and DC! Our weather never mirrors that of those other states so why do they lump us in that catagory?

+Quote Post
tempest
post Feb 20 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 13,531

Agreed. Of course the folks to the south of us in Carolina seem to get more snow than the snow-starved snow lovers in Virginia!! This snow drought is for the birds. I hope something unforeseen happens this weekend and we get a snow here near Richmond but from what the local weather folks say it looks like another clipper passing north with just a couple of showers or flurries (if we're lucky). Bring on spring after this and let's hope for better next year. Ugg again.

+Quote Post
John1122
post Feb 20 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #30

From: Campbell Co, TN Elevation 1750ft Finally a Winter Storm that verified at my house!
Member No.: 16,350

I would personally say that the Mid Atl should be seperated from the NE.

The weather is wildly different from Virginia to Maine and right now each thread covers that entire area.

I'd probably put Va, W. VA, Maryland, D.C and Delaware in the Mid Atl. Everything North and Northeast of there in the Northeast.

--------------------
Winter 2010-11 breakdown.

First Frost: October 4th.

First Freeze: October 4th

First accumulating snowfall: November 5th 1/2 inch, November 6th 1/2 inch.

Largest Snow: 5.5 inches December 12th-13th

Coldest Max: 19 degrees December 13th.

Coldest Low: 3.8 degrees December 14th.

Total Snowfall to date: 8.25 inches

+Quote Post
Solution Man
post Feb 20 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 16,882

QUOTE(John1122 @ Feb 20 2009, 09:20 PM) *
I would personally say that the Mid Atl should be seperated from the NE.

The weather is wildly different from Virginia to Maine and right now each thread covers that entire area.

I'd probably put Va, W. VA, Maryland, D.C and Delaware in the Mid Atl. Everything North and Northeast of there in the Northeast.

Agree..I have said this for a month or so....this needs to be broken up.

+Quote Post
WeatherMan1234
post Feb 20 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 17,518

well i agree too! i live in greenville,sc and we are starved snow lovers just like the folks up in virginia.

--------------------
Miller Hyatt

+Quote Post
Weatherjunkie
post Feb 20 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 12,252

QUOTE(WeatherMan1234 @ Feb 20 2009, 09:35 PM) *
well i agree too! i live in greenville,sc and we are starved snow lovers just like the folks up in virginia.

LOL

--------------------
The reason I talk to myself is that I am the only one whose answers I accept~ George Carlin

To be or not to be is not a question of compromise. Either you be or you don't be ~ Golda Meir

Sometimes good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay ~ Harvey Specter

Why is the rum gone? ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Feb 21 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #34

Admin

This argument is a red herring. If you put VA in the Southeast, then DC requests to be in the Southeast, MD requests to be in the Southeast, then NJ & PA, and pretty soon the whole nation is in the Southeast.

What you are asking is to divide the nation based on snowfall, and we can't do that because it's different every storm and every season. No matter what states we put where, those who are not getting snow will demand that they be filed with others who aren't.

--------------------

+Quote Post
so_whats_happeni...
post Feb 22 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 14,460

You have tens of hundreds to pick from... which map will you choose... Will you choose to be in the SE, MA, or NE? There is no real breaking point for each region. it is man made for purposes other than weather. We just use them to tell who the storm will be affecting. Hey look you even have the choice of N. korea! Weird.... tongue.gif

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...sa=N&tab=wi

Pick you poison

--------------------
Tylor

Studying Meteorology
Millersville University

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Feb 22 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #36

Guests

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Feb 21 2009, 10:18 AM) *
This argument is a red herring. If you put VA in the Southeast, then DC requests to be in the Southeast, MD requests to be in the Southeast, then NJ & PA, and pretty soon the whole nation is in the Southeast.

What you are asking is to divide the nation based on snowfall, and we can't do that because it's different every storm and every season. No matter what states we put where, those who are not getting snow will demand that they be filed with others who aren't.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
Phased Vort
post Feb 23 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #37

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 12,468

Virginia is part of the Mid-Atlantic, regardless of how much snow they get or not.

Last winter SE NY got almost not snow. Would it then, be valid to say the SE NY needs to be removed from the NE thread region ?

The southeast region starts on the VA/NC border and extends south into Florida and west into Mississippi.

--------------------
Phasing's done. The Vort's out.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_OHweather2_*
post Mar 29 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #38

Guests

I agree that threads for a storm affecting the Midwest one day and the NE/Mid Atlantic the next need to be seperated. However, say we have a day 1 severe storm outlook that looks like this:
Attached Image
What is more confusing?
Option one: A thread for the Midwest/OV/Planes/GL severe, a seperate thread for the SE Severe, and another thread for the Mid Atlantic severe.
or
Option two: April 15th, 2010 severe weather forecasts/obs

IMO, option two is less confusing, because the threat covers relativly small parts of the three regions. It would be very confusing people for people making forecasts, posting warnings or looking for obs to figure out which thread they should be looking in, because there aren't clear boundries between regions. And honestly, it's a pain in the but to be sifting through three threads for info on the same storm. In situations like this, IMO it is much more convinient to just have one thread with everything in it.

I agree that for threads covering wintery aspects of a storm and other aspects need to be seperated, but it's annoying to go to the main forum page an see:
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE windstorm
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Heavy Rain/Flooding
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE severe weather
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Snow Storm

Wouldn't it be more convinient to see:
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Flooding and Severe Threats here
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Snow Here

Basically, I am saying we don't need to break down every aspect of a storm into different threads. For the March 28th-30th NE storm we have one thread discussing "rain" and another thread discussing "severe weather". That is completely pointless IMO! Just merge them together. I'm sure discussing the potential to see a half inch of rain and the potential to see a storm producing 60MPH winds can be handled in the same thread.

Oh BTW I just made the dates up I'm not expecting some superstorm producing snow/wind/rain/flooding/severe in the northeast in the middle of April wink.gif

This post has been edited by OHweather2: Mar 29 2009, 01:23 PM

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Mar 29 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #39

Admin

QUOTE(OHweather2 @ Mar 29 2009, 02:23 PM) *
I agree that threads for a storm affecting the Midwest one day and the NE/Mid Atlantic the next need to be seperated. However, say we have a day 1 severe storm outlook that looks like this:
Attached Image
What is more confusing?
Option one: A thread for the Midwest/OV/Planes/GL severe, a seperate thread for the SE Severe, and another thread for the Mid Atlantic severe.
or
Option two: April 15th, 2010 severe weather forecasts/obs

IMO, option two is less confusing, because the threat covers relativly small parts of the three regions. It would be very confusing people for people making forecasts, posting warnings or looking for obs to figure out which thread they should be looking in, because there aren't clear boundries between regions. And honestly, it's a pain in the but to be sifting through three threads for info on the same storm. In situations like this, IMO it is much more convinient to just have one thread with everything in it.

I agree that for threads covering wintery aspects of a storm and other aspects need to be seperated, but it's annoying to go to the main forum page an see:
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE windstorm
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Heavy Rain/Flooding
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE severe weather
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Snow Storm

Wouldn't it be more convinient to see:
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Flooding and Severe Threats here
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Snow Here

Basically, I am saying we don't need to break down every aspect of a storm into different threads. For the March 28th-30th NE storm we have one thread discussing "rain" and another thread discussing "severe weather". That is completely pointless IMO! Just merge them together. I'm sure discussing the potential to see a half inch of rain and the potential to see a storm producing 60MPH winds can be handled in the same thread.

Oh BTW I just made the dates up I'm not expecting some superstorm producing snow/wind/rain/flooding/severe in the northeast in the middle of April wink.gif

We have been through the region thing many times and we will not be changing it.= in the short term.

During Spring, you will have to expect severe & snow to be separated. There are no other separations which are valid according to the rules posted at the top of U.S. Current Weather.

--------------------

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Mar 29 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #40

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,489

FYI...I merged the two threads you talked about.

IMHO there is no need to discuss rain in one thread and severe weather in another if both are related to the same storm system.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 09:03 PM