Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MAPS OF REGIONS For This Forum, Reopened For Discussion But No Short Term Plans
Removed_Member_starsinmysky_*
post Mar 29 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE(missmarisa @ Mar 29 2009, 04:29 PM) *
FYI...I merged the two threads you talked about.

IMHO there is no need to discuss rain in one thread and severe weather in another if both are related to the same storm system.

Thanks. That was my fault. When I created the thread, I didn't put in severe weather in the thread title. So, then Wfreeck started a thread on the severe weather aspect of the storm. It made no sense to me why they remained seprate. So I PM'd Dom and told him about it.

They are both related to the same storm. Jesse, that is what Jim (Ohweather2) was trying to say.

Thanks again Marisa. Sorry folks. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Mar 29 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #42

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,489

QUOTE(starsinmysky @ Mar 29 2009, 05:33 PM) *
Thanks. That was my fault. When I created the thread, I didn't put in severe weather in the thread title. So, then Wfreeck started a thread on the severe weather aspect of the storm. It made no sense to me why they remained seprate. So I PM'd Dom and told him about it.

They are both related to the same storm. Jesse, that is what Jim (Ohweather2) was trying to say.

Thanks again Marisa. Sorry folks. smile.gif

No worries Danny!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TJ Schulte
post Mar 29 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #43

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,616

I don't know why we need to keep certain regions together. Why can't we use a April 2nd OV/SE/MidAtl Severe Weather thread. Get rid of putting MW in there. If we use MW then why put the GL/OV/Plains in there. If that's the only regions then just use MW because all of those regions are considered the Midwest.

--------------------
NW Ohio's First Poster

Weather Blog

+Quote Post
Chicago Storm
post Mar 29 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 13,697

QUOTE(TJ Schulte @ Mar 29 2009, 09:24 PM) *
I don't know why we need to keep certain regions together. Why can't we use a April 2nd OV/SE/MidAtl Severe Weather thread. Get rid of putting MW in there. If we use MW then why put the GL/OV/Plains in there. If that's the only regions then just use MW because all of those regions are considered the Midwest.

The Mid-ATL/NE topics are already to crowded to add anymore regions.

Also, using Midwest instaed of GL/OV/Plains is a bad thing to do. As places like Texas, Ohio and Kentucky for example are not considered the "Midwest", they have their own regions.

As far as I see it, everything is fine the way we have it.

This post has been edited by Chicago Storm: Mar 29 2009, 09:33 PM

+Quote Post
Chicago Storm
post Mar 29 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(OHweather2 @ Mar 29 2009, 01:23 PM) *
I agree that threads for a storm affecting the Midwest one day and the NE/Mid Atlantic the next need to be seperated. However, say we have a day 1 severe storm outlook that looks like this:
What is more confusing?
Option one: A thread for the Midwest/OV/Planes/GL severe, a seperate thread for the SE Severe, and another thread for the Mid Atlantic severe.
or
Option two: April 15th, 2010 severe weather forecasts/obs

IMO, option two is less confusing, because the threat covers relativly small parts of the three regions. It would be very confusing people for people making forecasts, posting warnings or looking for obs to figure out which thread they should be looking in, because there aren't clear boundries between regions. And honestly, it's a pain in the but to be sifting through three threads for info on the same storm. In situations like this, IMO it is much more convinient to just have one thread with everything in it.

Option one is what we have now, and works fine.

Option two would make things worse. Topics are already crowded as they are, combining everything into one topic would create chaos.

+Quote Post
Chicago Storm
post Mar 29 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(OHweather2 @ Mar 29 2009, 01:23 PM) *
I agree that for threads covering wintery aspects of a storm and other aspects need to be seperated, but it's annoying to go to the main forum page an see:
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE windstorm
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Heavy Rain/Flooding
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE severe weather
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Snow Storm

Wouldn't it be more convinient to see:
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Flooding and Severe Threats here
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Snow Here

Basically, I am saying we don't need to break down every aspect of a storm into different threads. For the March 28th-30th NE storm we have one thread discussing "rain" and another thread discussing "severe weather". That is completely pointless IMO! Just merge them together. I'm sure discussing the potential to see a half inch of rain and the potential to see a storm producing 60MPH winds can be handled in the same thread.

Oh BTW I just made the dates up I'm not expecting some superstorm producing snow/wind/rain/flooding/severe in the northeast in the middle of April wink.gif

Right now how we have things is fine. As I stated in my previous post, if we put regions together or even storm topics together. Things would become to crowded.

Right now we have...

Winter Storm/Blizzard/Nor'Easter Topics - Discuss Snow & Rain
Severe Weather Topics - Discuss Severe Weather
Flooding Event Topics - Discuss Major Flooding
Warm Spell/Cold Spell Topics - Discuss very above or very below normal temps for a period of time

Once in a while you get a topic about high winds, but there are to few of those to make a big deal about.

As I stated before, everything is fine the way it is.....

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_starsinmysky_*
post Mar 29 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #47

Guests

Folks like Jesse already stated earlier, it's fine the way it is. He is NOT going to change it right now.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Mar 29 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #48

Guests

QUOTE(OHweather2 @ Mar 29 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Option two: April 15th, 2010 severe weather forecasts/obs

Wouldn't it be more convinient to see:
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Flooding and Severe Threats here
April 15th-16th MidAtl/New England/NE Storm---->Discuss Snow Here

I agree, but we're pretty much just beating a dead horse.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_OHweather2_*
post Mar 29 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #49

Guests

QUOTE(Chicago Storm @ Mar 29 2009, 10:37 PM) *
Option one is what we have now, and works fine.

Option two would make things worse. Topics are already crowded as they are, combining everything into one topic would create chaos.

Usually it works, but when you have an outbreak that covers small parts of regions such as this last one, it is a pain in the but to have to look in the SE thread and the MW/OV/GL/Planes thread for info on the same outbreak, happening in the same day. It's not like we had 100s of posters and 5 posts per minute in the threads yesterday, merging the SE and the MW/OV/GL/Planes thread would just be easier. Everything for that outbreak in one thread. I would like it that way, but I seem to be in the minority here so it's not that important. Now, the Mid Atlantic outbreak that happened today would go in a separate thread, because it happened a completely different day.

QUOTE(Chicago Storm @ Mar 29 2009, 10:41 PM) *
Right now how we have things is fine. As I stated in my previous post, if we put regions together or even storm topics together. Things would become to crowded.

Right now we have...

Winter Storm/Blizzard/Nor'Easter Topics - Discuss Snow & Rain
Severe Weather Topics - Discuss Severe Weather
Flooding Event Topics - Discuss Major Flooding
Warm Spell/Cold Spell Topics - Discuss very above or very below normal temps for a period of time

Once in a while you get a topic about high winds, but there are to few of those to make a big deal about.

As I stated before, everything is fine the way it is.....

Usually it's ok, but sometimes different aspects of weather are divided up when they really shouldn't be...if we have a storm producing snow on one side, severe weather in the other, rain in the middle, and flooding problems where theres severe weather and rain, it would be much easier to have:
-February 3rd-4rth storm----discuss snowstorm here
-February 3rd-4th storm----discuss potential severe weather/heavy rain here

Now, wind topics don't come up too often, but when they do I think it would be fine to just merge them into the severe weather thread, or, if it's a storm that produces snow, the snow and wind can be discussed in one thread and the severe weather can be discussed in the that thread, along with any mentions to the breezy conditions in the warm sector.

Is the way we have things now horrible...usually not, but it can get annoying to sift through different topics that are closely related and could easily be discussed in the same thing without the forum exploding...I think that would be more convenient...but as I said it's not the end of the world and I'm in the minority here so I'll stop talking about it.

+Quote Post
TJ Schulte
post Mar 30 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(Chicago Storm @ Mar 29 2009, 10:32 PM) *
The Mid-ATL/NE topics are already to crowded to add anymore regions.

Also, using Midwest instaed of GL/OV/Plains is a bad thing to do. As places like Texas, Ohio and Kentucky for example are not considered the "Midwest", they have their own regions.

As far as I see it, everything is fine the way we have it.

Ohio isn't the Midwest?

--------------------
NW Ohio's First Poster

Weather Blog

+Quote Post
WNYLakeEffect
post Mar 30 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 16,475

This is what I consider the regions:
Attached Image

Anyone agree for the most part?

I should add, that just because you don't live in near a Great Lake, doesn't mean you shouldn't go to a GL thread. It's the same with the Ohio Valley. We need to think about who has similar weather during a storm. It could be an all out blizzard at my house, but in NYC sunny and in the 40s. If you go by state boundaries, I should be in a NE thread, which would included NYC. Is anyone in NYC going to care about, relate with, understand, or forecast the weather in Jamestown, NY, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Erie? No. Would someone in Cleveland or Detroit apply to those in some way? Yes, they're likely experiencing the same conditions. Don't follow state lines, follow the weather.

This post has been edited by WinterStromDrought: Mar 30 2009, 06:07 PM

--------------------
Winter 2010-11 Snow: 148.0"
Winter 2009-10 Snow: 128.3"
Winter 2008-09 Snow: 175.0"

+Quote Post
Phased Vort
post Mar 30 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 12,468

Folks, we have had at least 3 threads about this very topic in the last few months, and even more before that.

As stated by Jesse, there are no plans to chance the regional structure we have right now in the near term.

Having said that, this thread will now be closed, as this topic has been discussed so much that we are starting to sound like a broken record.

<Thread is now CLOSED>

--------------------
Phasing's done. The Vort's out.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Apr 16 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #53

Guests

Since no one officially did this, I decided to try it myself. What fo you guys think? It wuold definitely decrease te level of confusion.

I decided to include eastern portions of Montana, Colorado, anf Wyoming since their weather is very similar to what much of the Plains region experiences. As for Kentucky and Arkanas, many of our members from those places post in the Midwest threads alreday, so there's no since in disputing that. And for Tennessee, many of our members from their already post in the SE thread, so there's no reason in disputing that either.

This post has been edited by wfreeck: Apr 16 2009, 10:24 PM

+Quote Post
CentralIllinois
post Apr 17 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #54

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,540

looks very good job well done i think this would help alot of people who are confused about it

--------------------

WCIA_dfabert Forecast is much more believeable! Notice that the legend has changed! #cILwx

^
After 1 model run

2013-2014
# of Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 4
# of Severe Thunderstorm Warnings:3
# of Tornado Watches:0
# of Tornado Warnings:1

2013-2014 Snowfall:42.8"
2012-2013 Snowfall: 24.4"

Note to Accuweather.com....Please give us a dedicated video blogger for the Plains/MW/OV/GL area!

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Apr 17 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 14,521

Well...if you could revamp the MidAtl/NE, Plains, OV, and GL areas to reflect what it currently is. Otherwise, it's going to create more confusion. For instance, during the LES season, those in Western sections of NY and PA don't feel at home posting in the NE threads and post in the Plains/MW/OV/GL instead.

I would almost suggest not splitting up the West since we don't have that many people from states West of the Rockies as it is.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_max140_*
post Apr 17 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #56

Guests

i think we should make this offical, but i think the map would need some adjustments until the western US has more members .

+Quote Post
TJ Schulte
post Apr 18 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #57

Here's my Midwest region map...
Attached Image

Red-Great Lakes
Green-Ohio Valley
Blue-Plains (Striped area is debatable)

First of all only northern Texas is considered the Midwest while the rest of it is the Deep South or Southeast. The some goes for Arkansas, you can't tell me that the southern part of that state is in the Midwest too. I get irritated when I see warnings posted on here even in Louisiana for the Midwest. If you include all of Texas and Arkansas you might as well add Tennessee and Northern Mississippi and Alabama.

--------------------
NW Ohio's First Poster

Weather Blog

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Apr 18 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 14,521

This will more than likely not become official since we had a poll quite some time ago and a topic that just ended on the 30th of March.

Sorry about the map, but I didn't merge the layers correctly. Basically, my thought process is this...
  • Anything West of the Rockies is considered the West with our small number of members there.
  • The Great Lakes adds two counties for those states with borders on the lake.
  • Each state has it's own "regions" that could, in essence, split it into multiple regions. Illinois is a perfect example...GL/OV/MW all apply. So quit fighting about it.
  • West Virginia is basically split in two. Western half is in the OV while the Eastern half is MdATL.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Apr 18 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #59

Guests

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Apr 18 2009, 12:54 PM) *
This will more than likely not become official since we had a poll quite some time ago and a topic that just ended on the 30th of March.

Sorry about the map, but I didn't merge the layers correctly. Basically, my thought process is this...
  • Anything West of the Rockies is considered the West with our small number of members there.
  • The Great Lakes adds two counties for those states with borders on the lake.
  • Each state has it's own "regions" that could, in essence, split it into multiple regions. Illinois is a perfect example...GL/OV/MW all apply. So quit fighting about it.
  • West Virginia is basically split in two. Western half is in the OV while the Eastern half is MdATL.

Actually, I like this one better. smile.gif

A few tweaks could be made, but in general it's perfect.

This post has been edited by wfreeck: Apr 18 2009, 11:26 AM

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Apr 18 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #60

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

Folks, sorry but we already have an official region map (reposted below) and I am not interested in changing it until regional traffic changes on the Forums, which is why they were created. Merging multiple requests into this thread.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 01:17 PM