Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EC: Winter 2009: Lots more snow
trancen
post Mar 17 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
From: Toronto, On Lake Ontario on my Sailboat, ALL yr long.
Member No.: 14,129

Does this statement make anysense?! Hahahaha, how can they say "even close accurate or reliable" and then say they are expecting normal temp's.

"The forecast isn't considered to be even close to accurate or reliable, but it's calling for normal temperatures and above-normal amounts of precipitation for most of the country."

============================
http://www.thestar.com/article/346777

But at least it may be warmer, says early forecast for next winter
Mar 17, 2008 04:30 AM
The Canadian Press

This week will mark the official start of spring, but for the few Canadians who can't get enough of snow and cold, Environment Canada is already providing a peek at next year's winter.

The forecast isn't considered to be even close to accurate or reliable, but it's calling for normal temperatures and above-normal amounts of precipitation for most of the country.

But southern Ontario communities and that would include Toronto are the only ones in the country forecast to get warmer than normal weather. Ottawa is not among the Ontario communities that will get a break.

The territories and large chunks of British Columbia and Quebec are looking to be colder than normal.

Only about a quarter of the communities for which Environment Canada has forecasts are expected to get less rain and snow than normal.

It will be several more months before the forecasts get more reliable, and at this point they're not considered to be "significantly better than chance."

"The users of those forecasts will take a peek at it but I don't think many users make million-dollar decisions based on that at least they shouldn't," said senior climatologist David Phillips.

Environment Canada is a lot more confident about its forecast for the start of spring over the next month, and is calling for below normal temperatures across the country.

Through May, the forecast is colder than normal for the territories, the provinces west of Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador, and in the northern half of Quebec.

Most of the country is also expected to get above-average rainfall.

It's still early to be making reliable forecasts for the summer, but Environment Canada says it looks as if it will be hotter than normal in B.C. and the Prairies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GTAOntario
post Mar 17 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,270

When I saw your topic title, I thought you meant more snow than this winter.

The article just says more than normal...they have these predictions all the time.

QUOTE(trancen @ Mar 17 2008, 10:52 AM) *
Does this statement make anysense?! Hahahaha, how can they say "even close accurate or reliable" and then say they are expecting normal temp's.

"The forecast isn't considered to be even close to accurate or reliable, but it's calling for normal temperatures and above-normal amounts of precipitation for most of the country."
============================
http://www.thestar.com/article/346777

But at least it may be warmer, says early forecast for next winter
Mar 17, 2008 04:30 AM
The Canadian Press

This week will mark the official start of spring, but for the few Canadians who can't get enough of snow and cold, Environment Canada is already providing a peek at next year's winter.

The forecast isn't considered to be even close to accurate or reliable, but it's calling for normal temperatures and above-normal amounts of precipitation for most of the country.

But southern Ontario communities and that would include Toronto are the only ones in the country forecast to get warmer than normal weather. Ottawa is not among the Ontario communities that will get a break.

The territories and large chunks of British Columbia and Quebec are looking to be colder than normal.

Only about a quarter of the communities for which Environment Canada has forecasts are expected to get less rain and snow than normal.

It will be several more months before the forecasts get more reliable, and at this point they're not considered to be "significantly better than chance."

"The users of those forecasts will take a peek at it but I don't think many users make million-dollar decisions based on that at least they shouldn't," said senior climatologist David Phillips.

Environment Canada is a lot more confident about its forecast for the start of spring over the next month, and is calling for below normal temperatures across the country.

Through May, the forecast is colder than normal for the territories, the provinces west of Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador, and in the northern half of Quebec.

Most of the country is also expected to get above-average rainfall.

It's still early to be making reliable forecasts for the summer, but Environment Canada says it looks as if it will be hotter than normal in B.C. and the Prairies.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_baltimore_big_daddy_*
post Mar 17 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE(GTAOntario @ Mar 17 2008, 12:20 PM) *
When I saw your topic title, I thought you meant more snow than this winter.

The article just says more than normal...they have these predictions all the time.
i agree

+Quote Post
weathernut99
post Mar 18 2008, 08:48 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,078

QUOTE(baltimore_big_daddy @ Mar 17 2008, 04:47 PM) *
i agree

More than normal != More than extreme. 2008 being an extreme year NOT merely more than normal.

2009 should be much less snowy than 2008 for NE Canada (I hope)

+Quote Post
Andrew Schwab
post Mar 18 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,874

More snow for the west I'm hoping with some big snowstorms. Btw, have you noticed how EC and TWN always talk about the east and spend more time discussing about the east than the west?

+Quote Post
GTAOntario
post Mar 18 2008, 04:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,270

QUOTE(Andrew Schwab @ Mar 18 2008, 03:59 PM) *
More snow for the west I'm hoping with some big snowstorms. Btw, have you noticed how EC and TWN always talk about the east and spend more time discussing about the east than the west?

You mean there's a west? haha

You are right though...the east is always in the path of pretty amazing storm systems. We seem to get nailed by clippers, Colorado lows and storms that brew in the Gulf and then head our way.

BC weather rarely makes the eye brows raise...except when something huge happens like the winds from a few years ago. That made big news in Ontario. Alberta is in the news when those extreme cold snaps hit or the chinook winds blow through.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 07:36 PM